Recommend me a courier for sending an amp .

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Title says it all really. Got a prospective buyer for my Hampstead head that is for sale on this forum. I’ve not got the original box or much in the way of packaging. Please recommend a courier that would be able to take it from N’west of England  to Somerset and be covered up to £1000.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I sent a yamaha thr 100 via ups, insured, through parcel2go.com and a rack unit to USA through them , too. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    UPS are the only courier I trust.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    miserneil said:
    Not where I live, where the driver leaves a £1500 guitar leaning against the front door, signs for it himself with "JONES" and drives off without knocking on the door. Happened twice to me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    UPS through Interparcel. UPS seem to be the most reliable and cheaper through Interparcel than direct. Interparcel insurance works as well! Had to claim twice and they paid up without any problems. 

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    I only use UPS
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    AnyVan.com can be good for door-to-door hand-delivered fragile and higher value items.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    I've had mixed fortunes sending amps both within UK and Europe recently. In all cases, they were packaged in the boxes in which they were delivered to me, with foam padding spacers and additional bubble wrap to ensure nothing moved. Even then, a handler drops the box, valves go, a reverb tank fails, or a footswitch is bent! Despite "FRAGILE - Handle with Care" plastered on the things 

My worst experience in the last 6 months has been with UPS, who would accept no responsibility for damage despite adequate insurance being in place. My best has been with Parcelforce, who have delivered 2 other amps in perfect condition

My point is - I would ensure the Hamstead is sent in bombproof packaging to minimise the risk. If I did not have adequate packaging, I would ask buyer to meet at a halfway point and hand it over personally ... if practical

Hope that helps ... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    miserneil said:
    Not where I live, where the driver leaves a £1500 guitar leaning against the front door, signs for it himself with "JONES" and drives off without knocking on the door. Happened twice to me.
    Sounds like your drivers gone rouge! ;)

I’ve used them to send expensive amps overseas with no problems at all.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My local UPS driver regularly throws my guitars in the back of the van, I've pulled him up on it and he just laughs and says 'that's nothing compared to what will happen at the depot'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    My local UPS driver regularly throws my guitars in the back of the van, I've pulled him up on it and he just laughs and says 'that's nothing compared to what will happen at the depot'
    this is unfortunately true of all parcel companies, somewhere along the line there is a parcel handler who does not care enough.

Double box the amp and it should save you an insurance claim, so outside box - polystyrene foam - inside box - amp

If you shake the box nothing should move inside.

Also be aware that most courier websites limit the insurance value on amps

• DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    UPS .........by far the best of a bad bunch
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Modulus_Amps said:
    John_A said:

Double box the amp and it should save you an insurance claim, so outside box - polystyrene foam - inside box - amp

Mind that this increases the size and weight. But if it's too heavy, at least they can't pick it up and throw it. They'll just find other ways to damage it.  :s
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    With all the mither i don’t think I’ll bother, it’ll be buyer collects.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have used DPD Local twice in the last few months for a 27kg Matamp and a JCM800 with no issues. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31503
    They all have you over a barrel unfortunately, all you can do is package it as well as you can and insure against them actually losing it. 

Having to  buy insurance in case THEY trash it is outrageous IMO - it would be like having to pay a taxi driver's car insurance. 
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    Wouldn't use any of them, with anything valuable. A lot of knobs in that game.