Fender Jaguars - thoroughly confused!

What's Hot

Comments

• iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:
    Anyone got any experience of the 90s / 2000s CiJ Reissue Jag's?

Yes, I've owned several. 

Right! So does that mean they are superb and you keep buying more, or that you are still looking for a good one?  ;)

I've owned a lot of various jags over the years.

I liked the mij/cij ones the most (until I bought my custom shop).

The ones I have owned have all been light with good neck profiles and great customer colours. The pickups have always been garbage but the rest of the loom has been perfectly usable. I wouldn't change it unless it's faulty. I always change the bridge to mastery or staytrem.

Ishibashi ubox can be a great place to pick up an used jag for 300-400 quid.

The 62 avri models I've played have always been real heavy and thickly finished. I also think the pickups in those are pretty pony too. They do have a great neck profile though.

I've never played a 65 avri but I hear nothing but good things.

I'm not a fan of the Marr but a lot of people do like those. 

The Mexican ones can be on the heavy side but aren't bad

Thanks, that's really helpful.

The Ishibashi site - you have to order from Japan? What's the delivery time / charge like any import duties? 
    Ishsibashi ususally offer free shipping the the UK via Reverb
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited June 2018
    @iain.reverbIshibashi is my favourite Japan store, great customer support. But they don't currently export rosewood guitars, to avoid dealing with CITES related issues, so I think that wouldn't be too helpful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3615
    Fuengi said:

The Ishibashi site - you have to order from Japan? What's the delivery time / charge like any import duties? 
    You will get clobbered for VAT and possibly duty, also handling fees so budget at least 20% or a bit more on top of the cost of your guitar. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Neil said:
    Fuengi said:

You will get clobbered for VAT and possibly duty, also handling fees so budget at least 20% or a bit more on top of the cost of your guitar. 
    23% or 24% with a handling fee as well from Parcel Farce

I've landed Jags and JMs several times from there between 300 - 400 all in 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Noticed there's been one of the Classic Lacquer ones on eBay for a bit - £500 local collection from Leeds. If I was in the market for a Jaguar I would grab this one - accepting best offers too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Classic-Series-Jaguar-Lacquer-Fiesta-Red-Rosewood-Staytrem-upgrades/253675801185?epid=2256183973&hash=item3b10418a61:g:E~AAAOSwRRZbGZj1

You will get the nitro finish, correct vibrato placement, AV65 pickups. The standard trem doesn't have the lock button but you could grab an AVRI one and easily install it. I've built a few jags from parts, new and vintage,  and owned two Classic Players (necks are nice on these but the other modern specs not to my taste). Got a body and neck on the go at the moment actually and just debating colour.

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    edited June 2018
    A few years back, a few stores were selling NOS to clear out some of Fender's warehouse. Some of those guitars were Jags.

I've picked up two in these types of sales:

MIJ - Thinline Jaguar (poly - but stunning)
    MIA - 65 AV in Sonic Blue - nitro

Both are absolute keepers, especially because they were both well under £1000 new....

Sometimes, good sales hit the UK but since the vote we shall not discuss, the sales have been pretty awful.

Keep some money aside and pounce when one comes up.

The Marrguar is amazing. BUT, I've tried two and sent them back as they seemed to be rushed through QC. Very poor fit and finish. I doubt they are all like that. 
    tFB Trader
    A few years back, a few stores were selling NOS to clear out some of Fender's warehouse. Some of those guitars were Jags.

MIA - 65 AVRI in Sonic Blue - nitro

Both are absolute keepers, especially because they were both well under £1000 new....

Sometimes, good sales hit the UK but since the vote we shall not discuss, the sales have been pretty awful.

The Marrguar is amazing. BUT, I've tried two and sent them back as they seemed to be rushed through QC. Very poor fit and finish. I doubt they are all like that. 
    Weren't Andertons blowing out the Sonic Blue AV65s for something crazy like £899? or less?! I wish I'd bought one but didn't have the money then. I think '65 the dot and binding era is my absolute favourite for Jaguars. Classier than blocks!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    What's the difference between the American Vintage and the AVRI series?
    tFB Trader
    AVRI is what the older USA reissues were labelled as - I think from the late 90s until 2012. They have a poly undercoat under the nitro finish, vintage specs more aligned with the 1962 models for Jags and JMs. Quite slim neck profiles.

The AV line took 1965 as the inspiration for the Jags and JMs, vintage correct pickguards, new pickups (generally favoured over the AVRI 62 models), D&B necks with vintage specs, bit fuller profile than the AVRIs I think. Thin nitro finishes that check and age very quickly.

Really nice reissues, with amazing attention to detail. I think some of the nicest guitars Fender has put out in recent years. I love the strats and teles from this series too!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    rexter said:
    Weren't Andertons blowing out the Sonic Blue AV65s for something crazy like £899? or less?! I wish I'd bought one but didn't have the money then. I think '65 the dot and binding era is my absolute favourite for Jaguars. Classier than blocks!
    yes, was a couple of years ago I think. I seem to recall they had some strats as well, an amazing deal!
    edited June 2018
    Fuengi said:

Most of this comes from what I know about Jazzmasters, but should also apply to Jaguars, I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

The AVRI series was based on the 62 model, you get an unbound slim profile neck, 62 voiced pickups, different finish (nitro over poly basecoat I think), brown hardshell case. There are also Thinskin variants of AVRIs, usually with 9.5 radius, matching headstocks and thinskin nitro finish.

The American Vintage (aka. AV65) series superseded the AVRI models and Fender made more effort to be as vintage accurate, to the actual year - 65 for offsets - as possible. You can find their own marketing gumph about this online, I won't rehash it here.

On an AV65 you get a mid 60s chunky neck profile with dots and binding, thin nitro finish which is quite delicate, 65 voiced pickups, and a black hardshell case.

On the Andertons FSR sonic blue jags, they have a satin finish neck.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I always thought the neck on my old 62 jag was quite thick
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    rexter said:

MIA - 65 AVRI in Sonic Blue - nitro

I went to Peach and it was even less than that!

Andertons had the Thinlines though....as did a few other stores.

Edited my post as it is a AV65....
    francer said:
    Fuengi said:

The American Vintage (aka. AV65) series superseded the AVRI models and Fender made more effort to be as vintage accurate, to the actual year - 65 for offsets - as possible. You can find their own marketing gumph about this online, I won't rehash it here.

On an AV65 you get a mid 60s chunky neck profile with dots and binding, thin nitro finish which is quite delicate, 65 voiced pickups, and a black hardshell case.

On the Andertons FSR sonic blue jags, they have a satin finish neck.
    This seems spot on to me...the finish on mine is thin. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited June 2018
    Or £1795 if you buy it on Reverb!

This sort of thing is causing the confusion! It is labelled as FSR (which i though was only Japan?) 62 Reissue and 65 Reissue.

No wonder it's RARE!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    francer said:
    rexter said:
    yes, was a couple of years ago I think. I seem to recall they had some strats as well, an amazing deal!
    Yup, I picked up my Sonic Blue ‘65 AVRI for £850 from peach 2 and a bit years ago. Occasionally I think maybe I’ll sell it as it gets less play than my more mainstream guitars, but when I do pick it up I absolutely love it. And it’s such a lot of guitar for the money. Also, as Fender slowly eradicate 7.25” radius from the catalog, proper vintage spec jags and the line will get rarer and rarer.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1024
    That sonic blue Jag is massively overpriced. You can get them used around a grand still. I picked one up last year for £900. 

There is actually one of the new American Original jags on eBay at the moment for £1175 or soemthing. Someone buy it so I'm not tempted please. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    You get MIM and MIA FSRs too. It's not exclusive to Japan.
    Here's OSGs version of this discussion ... 
    http://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77834