Fender Jaguars - thoroughly confused!

What's Hot

Comments

• francerfrancer Frets: 369
    edited June 2018
    Double post of OSG thread above, it didn’t appear right away so I reposted - is that because I added a link? - does it need to be reviewed by a mod before appearing on the site?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Don't know if these will be viable to import into the UK: new ltd edition LPB Classic Lacquer Jags for CME
    https://reverb.com/item/13199153-fender-classic-60s-lacquer-jaguar-lake-placid-blue-pre-order
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    rexter said:
    Don't know if these will be viable to import into the UK: new ltd edition LPB Classic Lacquer Jags for CME
    https://reverb.com/item/13199153-fender-classic-60s-lacquer-jaguar-lake-placid-blue-pre-order
    Thats beautiful 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    rexter said:
    Thats beautiful 
    Wis for this guy. Absolutely amazing looking thing. 

Pau Ferro board so no reason CME wouldn't sell you one if no dealers here are getting any.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Needs a matching headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Wow to the LPB, Jags really are the best looking guitars - everyone should have one just for wall art!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    They’re as good a production Jag as can be bought - lovely guitars. That ones been on a while; I’d offer closer to 1k, especially given you’ll want a new bridge (staytrem or mastery; the former is my preference). 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    My thoughts... I'd be hung up less on nitro etc as frankly a lot of what you read is BS. I'm not 100% sure you'd be able to tell a mass produced Fender in nitro from poly by feel alone... the "nitro" on AVRI etc is a *long* way from a vintage finish and feels incredibly plastic to me.

The pickups on 90% of Jags need replacing. I detest with a passion the clicky/clacky nastiness of the USA pickups, but at least they are better than the dross fitted to Japs and MiMs. Frankly, Fender can't make a decent Jaguar pickup at the moment - even the CS ones can be improved upon. I'm not saying that they've never made good pickups, but compare something vintage to a modern reissue and there's a massive difference. IMHO, the pickups from Mojo trounce everything that Fender currently make in any range for the Jag - and sound like proper Jag pickups as opposed to slightly clickier versions of the Strat unit.

Bound boards - attractive but from the factory the current Fenders are very square sided/hard edged. Some don't seem bothered by this, but I find it massively uncomfortable and it would need some luthier love to get near what I like from a Fender neck.

Sunburst - great if you are a fan... but custom colours are always more in demand on Jags, therefore easier to sell/more valuable. Except shell pink... perhaps, although there are fans of that too.

Bridge and trem - I don't like the standard bridge. Others do. YMMV. I change for Staytrem or Mastery depending on how deep my pockets are. Likewise the trem isn't quite as nice on the Japs (its not as bad as some make out) and I hate the dreadful screw in arm Mex ones (shit idea, Fender - you can't make decent ones of these for Strats what hope have you got for a Jag). However, with a Staytrem arm conversion either works quite well.

For my money, if I was looking for a Jag for about £900, I'd be haggling on CiJ or MiJ versions at £500, then banking on a pair of Mojo pickups, a bridge change and a staytrem arm. If you buy carefully, you can acheive it. I wouldn't buy into the hype on USA AVRI or AV65s, as I haven't played one I've truly loved  - I've owned and played a *lot*. MiM are OK, but beware of heavy ones. Johnny Marr Jags are nice, *BUT* suffer from string space issues out the box - it may not affect you, but it did me. Also the extra settings/sounds are a bit marmite - you may find it suits you but I wasn't that impressed, tbh. Pickups are OK though - still could be improved IMHO.

Hope that helps

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    impmann said:
    My thoughts... I'd be hung up less on nitro etc as frankly a lot of what you read is BS. I'm not 100% sure you'd be able to tell a mass produced Fender in nitro from poly by feel alone... the "nitro" on AVRI etc is a *long* way from a vintage finish and feels incredibly plastic to me.

The pickups on 90% of Jags need replacing. I detest with a passion the clicky/clacky nastiness of the USA pickups, but at least they are better than the dross fitted to Japs and MiMs. Frankly, Fender can't make a decent Jaguar pickup at the moment - even the CS ones can be improved upon. I'm not saying that they've never made good pickups, but compare something vintage to a modern reissue and there's a massive difference. IMHO, the pickups from Mojo trounce everything that Fender currently make in any range for the Jag - and sound like proper Jag pickups as opposed to slightly clickier versions of the Strat unit.

Bound boards - attractive but from the factory the current Fenders are very square sided/hard edged. Some don't seem bothered by this, but I find it massively uncomfortable and it would need some luthier love to get near what I like from a Fender neck.

Sunburst - great if you are a fan... but custom colours are always more in demand on Jags, therefore easier to sell/more valuable. Except shell pink... perhaps, although there are fans of that too.

Bridge and trem - I don't like the standard bridge. Others do. YMMV. I change for Staytrem or Mastery depending on how deep my pockets are. Likewise the trem isn't quite as nice on the Japs (its not as bad as some make out) and I hate the dreadful screw in arm Mex ones (shit idea, Fender - you can't make decent ones of these for Strats what hope have you got for a Jag). However, with a Staytrem arm conversion either works quite well.

For my money, if I was looking for a Jag for about £900, I'd be haggling on CiJ or MiJ versions at £500, then banking on a pair of Mojo pickups, a bridge change and a staytrem arm. If you buy carefully, you can acheive it. I wouldn't buy into the hype on USA AVRI or AV65s, as I haven't played one I've truly loved  - I've owned and played a *lot*. MiM are OK, but beware of heavy ones. Johnny Marr Jags are nice, *BUT* suffer from string space issues out the box - it may not affect you, but it did me. Also the extra settings/sounds are a bit marmite - you may find it suits you but I wasn't that impressed, tbh. Pickups are OK though - still could be improved IMHO.

Hope that helps

It does... and it doesn't! Still confused.

Might just buy a 60th Anniversay Jazzmaster instead!
    can you get to coda @Fuengi ?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    All this talk of Jags (and in particular that blue one..) means I now want a Jaguar again. You bastards! 
    All this talk of Jags (and in particular that blue one..) means I now want a Jaguar again. You bastards! 
    you always need a Jag :-D
    I'm on the south coast. Got family in Cambridge, so could nip in en-route but no visits currently arranged. 
    Fuengi said:
    I'm on the south coast. Got family in Cambridge, so could nip in en-route but no visits currently arranged. 
    GAK?

I'd get to a shop and try the range fella. It will help you a lot more than us lot. 
    Andertons and PMT closeby. I will go try a few, thanks.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Interesting that the LPB Jaguar can be bought for £799 in Chicago, while over here the equivalent (and not even in a limited and arguably more desirable colour) will cost you £920!
    Interesting that the LPB Jaguar can be bought for £799 in Chicago, while over here the equivalent (and not even in a limited and arguably more desirable colour) will cost you £920!
    Well yes - add 20% VAT to 799 and you're almost at 1k, so 920 isn't too bad at all..
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    edited June 2018

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    rexter said:
    I'm hoping this isn't exclusive to CME.  Photos and spec sheet looks pretty standard for a Fender release to me, and no mention of it being an exclusive/limited to CME from what I can see.

Hopefully just a new cycle of new finishes coming, they are releasing a Johnny Marry Jag in LPB too: https://reverb.com/item/13244885-johnny-marr-jaguar-rosewood-fingerboard-lake-placid-blue

Wonder if they will be a new Jazzmaster finish to take over surf green.