NGD - HH tele but need advice on bridge..

What's Hot
AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
edited June 2018 in Making & Modding
Hi all, 
Im finally putting together a beast that's been in the wings for a long time... @GSPBASSES ;; built, @Iamf68 painted HH tele - basically a hardtail version of the Suhr Andy wood.

Now my dilemna is this -  Im going cut tele bridge obviously because of the HB but should I venture intop the unknown territory that is a toploader or just go conventional? I gather I could stick a toploader bridge on and it will make no odds (The guitar is drilled for through body stringing) and if I dont like it just go conventional?

Anyone ever tried a HH top loader? I believe the tension can be quite low on them,...

Open to corrections/opinions as usual guys!

Full NGD thread to follow soon!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Tease ! I want pics ! 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I personally prefer through body string hardtails but I’ve not specifically tried a top loaded Tele bridge.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Wilkinson half bridge would save cutting one for not many beer tokens, I think they work fine top strung but they alsohave the holes for through stringing too....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Cool guys... @DrBob .... Think Paul Newman and Nik Huber =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    I personally prefer through body string hardtails but I’ve not specifically tried a top loaded Tele bridge.
    The Squier Silver Series Telecaster came was with a thick, machined steel, top-loader bridge and horrid offset zinc saddles.

Conversion to through body stringing and a vintage-style stamped steel bridge makes an enormous difference to the sustain and twang. 

Whether this increased twang is appropriate on a HH Telecaster is for the OP to decide.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Best check with GSPBasses what bridge he has drilled the string through holes for. HH Teles usually are drilled for a hardtail Strat bridge so the string through holes on a vintage Tele bridge plate will not line up. (Well technically you will be able to line them up and depending on how large diameter they are they might work but you may not be able to intonate properly as the bridge will be about 1/8 inch too far forward)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    The body has been drilled to take a standard Fender style hard tail bridge, I use a Gotoh base plate as a drilling jig. See the link below, WD carry this bridge its a bit expensive. I'm sure you can find an identical bridge on eBay far less money. David Dyke has these in stock, they are cheaper than WD. they also come with matching screws and ferrules.

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_37&products_id=268

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/bridges-tailpieces-c2/fixed-bridges-c43/gotoh-fixed-bridge-contemporary-6-saddle-p689

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom