Tuner in the loop vs additional boost/mute in the loop

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10681
edited June 2018 in FX
Here’s a question: 

I currently have my TU2 at the end of my input chain. I have a Digitech Whammy early on in the input chain but I don’t use the dry out for the tuner because I need the TU2 predominantly as a mute (though occasionally as a tuner too). 

I also have a clean boost at the end of the loop chain for solo boosts. 

When I use the tuner to mute my signal I still get the hiss from the amp’s input stage as well as the chorus and delays in the loop. If I mute using my clean boost turned to zero at the end of the loop, the signal is utterly silent (and this also enables me to swap cables and pedals in the loop silently). 

So, what should I do: 

a) put the tuner in the loop at the very end so it can mute everything? 

b) get another boost also at the end of the loop, permanently set to zero and put my TU2 on a spur before the amp, using the Digitech Whammy’s dry out? 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I imagine your tuner would work better with a dry signal but there's nothing stopping you trying it at the end of the loop to see if works. If it doesn't then it would be a case of using a boost/EQ/volume attenuator as your mute
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Alternatively, put a little sticker or something on your clean boost where the knob should be set, so you can knock it down to zero when you need to. Just remember to set it back to "boost" before your solo.

If you use effects, particularly modulation or delay, you're likely to confuse the tuner if it's last in line.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Would it need to be an actual boost set to zero? If you have any old true bypass pedal your not using , whack it in the end of the loop without plugging any power to it. When you switch it 'on' it'll cut the sound completely.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Thanks guys, yes that’s what I thought. 

Would it need to be an actual boost set to zero? If you have any old true bypass pedal your not using , whack it in the end of the loop without plugging any power to it. When you switch it 'on' it'll cut the sound completely.

That’s a good point! Wow. Do people do that? What a brilliant idea!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Well, I'm tight with the money, so that's what I'd do! I'll keep the spendy stuff for something more fun .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited July 2018
    I managed to get a cheap boost anyway

http://i.imgur.com/uI5PSee.jpg

Guitar> comp> wah> whammy>(tuner)> phase90> OD> (loop)> short delay > long delay > chorus > boost > mute. 

So the tuner is on a spur out of the whammy dry out, and the mute is at the end of the complete chain.

This is officially the best pedal board ever and should become the default for all guitarists.