Carving a 10/56 "V" neck ...

So I played a nocaster in a shop yesterday and loved the 10/56 V neck profile. It's like a fat V.

My Simplici-T has a U neck and it just seemed to be blocking me, just as the 52 Am Original I also tried does.

So I grabbed the angle grinder and had a go:

As I don't have a truss rod I am reassured that this is still a pretty fat neck, but it is immediately wayyy more comfortable and not a challenge to play ...

Anyone else like the fat V's? I had never seen one before this 1950 CS ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Brave man - I like your style. I have an Allparts Lindy Fralin neck (basically a TMO-FAT) and I'd love to reshape that to a V. It's got a truss rod stripe on the back, so slightly more risky. My MIJ strat has a slight V which is the best neck I've had. I'd like to replicate that.
  • edwnedwn Frets: 10
    @telehack Looking at the various standard profiles just now, I think I ended up with a fairly hard V -- I just kept going till it felt right -- I would think a soft V would barely touch the skunk stripe ... but yeah angle grinder is a bit rough and ready for this task -- hand rasp is probably the proper way to go?  LIke at LsL:

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Yep - completely in agreement with you, the 10/56 is pretty much exactly what I go for too. Gibson did/do a very similar shape on their ‘55 model, and PRS’ Wide-Fat/Pattern is much the same shape too but slightly slimmer.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I have tweaked a few Allparts FAT necks to a V-C profile.  It’s relatively safe as you don’t need to touch the centre line at all to get that chunky V shape
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Angle grinder!! What disc is on that? Fair play to you. The 10/56 is the neck ;)