Paul McCartney on Carpool Karaoke. If you didn't see it, do. Absolutely heartwarming.

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
i haven't watched TV for years, so it's very rarely i watch anything like this. but i had an instinctive feeling that this would be something a bit special & i wasn't disappointed. i was actually really moved.

we all know his musical career so won't go over all he represents there, but i just felt the sheer planet-sized humanity & warmth of the man shone out like a massive sun from what is quite a standard pulp tv kind of format.

watching it i felt it's almost as if there is no 'celebrity' to him, in a media universe where that is usually the only (or primary) qualification many big names can lay claim to, beyond very mediocre talent & pushy PR. he's existed in that universe for longer and probably more intensely than anywone else on the planet, & curiously none of it seems to have stuck.

he's paul now, as he is, as much as he has always been. no more or less. take me or leave me.

two scenes stood out for me.

that first is him singing and playing air guitar in the loo at his old house. not only is that amazing perspective, because (let's be honest) we all do it. in those moments when we were/are so excited about our playing & musical ideas that there simply aren't enough minutes in the day, so (in deperation) we end up stealing toilet minutes to create more precious music the time.
that funny & seemingly throwaway little skit actually connected him to every kid who ever picked up a guitar. i laughed & at the same time felt like i was in the company of someone who knew how i felt about the sheer joy of making music.

and the other is when he's in the pub (trying not to do spoilers for those who haven't seen) and he gets passed a drink. coming at the end of the episode as it does, after having given us the insight into him as a man that it does, i just got the overwhelming feeling (i was deeply moved by the thought) that he was probably as happy with being given that beer in that context as he would have been all those times he has been given a grammy or lifetime achievement award or royal badge. there's just a natural graciousness about him that makes me feel that to him, he would have appreciated it in the same way. the profound wisdom in his joyousness, after all he has been through.

he's heroic 3

anyway, i felt so many positive things about it i thought i would post it here, in case anyone missed it. maybe i missed a post about it somehwere else here, but couldn't see an obviously titled one.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Yeah I really enjoyed it to, those pool in the pub though that must have been a trip.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    watched this earlier today loved it. excellent post by the way.
  • edwnedwn Frets: 10
    edited June 2018
    Saw it already but skipped those bits somehow, clearly worth another view; nicely written up! I liked the Penny Lane signature and the woman's reaction in the barber's ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I thought it was really good; Macca came across as a genuine bloke who is at peace with himself.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    What a great post, @vale ;- thank you  =)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited June 2018
    I’m quite happy to admit I shed a tear - one of the most heart-warming pieces of television I’ve ever seen.

The affection which the people of Liverpool showed him was genuinely affecting.

Him playing When I’m Sixty Four on the piano in his childhood home really got to me.

Lovely post @vale  
  • He's alright I suppose.
    A few years back when a friend of mine was in the process of getting very ill and losing his sight, even though they were only vaguely related (2nd cousin twice removed or something), Paul called him up and asked if he'd seen the world. My friend said not all of it.
    Him and his brother were then duly supplied with credit cards with the instruction "Well go and bloody well see it then, and don't worry about the cost". They spent 12 months going around the world doing exactly that.
    I know it would have been peanuts to him, but he didn't have to do that.
    Sadly no longer with us, the photo's and stories of his adventures on that trip are truly legendary, as in Hunter S Thompson legendary ;)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 27reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I really enjoyed that. It's a good show
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Lovely, what a man Macca truly is.

I just knew it would finish with Hey Bloody Jude though, which was disappointing.

But yes, his personality is from an era long behind us I think. An inspiration
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I really enjoyed it. It made me nostalgic to see some of my old haunts, plus my grandparents lived on Forthlin Rd so they and my mum knew him just a little when she was a kid. Seeing his old house the exact way my grandparents' house was laid out made me quite emotional. Aware of my own mortality too because he looked quite frail. I realised that the first time i became aware of him he was the same age as i am now (early 40s). Now he is truly getting on and so am i! Pity his lovely voice has gone.    
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    edited June 2018
    I’m not normally too sentimental, but I did enjoy that...music from all our childhoods I imagine. 
    I can only guess on how surreal it must have been for James Corden. I wish Macca had just done it, and not done it for promoting a new album though.... I hate the Graham Norton show for the same reason.. 
    I’m not sure they can top that Carpool Karaoke though....Macca is a beyond a Celebrity 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    tone1 said:
    I’m not normally too sentimental, but I did enjoy that...music from all our childhoods I imagine. 
    I can only guess on how surreal it must have been for James Corden. I wish Macca had just done it, and not done it for promoting a new album though.... I hate the Graham Norton show for the same reason.. 
    I’m not sure they can top that Carpool Karaoke though....Macca is a beyond a Celebrity 
    I thought the bit at the end back in the theatre with Cordon shouting the album kind of jarred with the rest of the piece.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188

I just knew it would finish with Hey Bloody Jude though, which was disappointing.

What were you hoping for instead - the Frog Chorus?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Lovely film. I've done the National Trust tour of that house (and Aunt Mimis for John) and it's a great experience. They're the only organisation who can take people inside - everyone else has to stand at the gates outside.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Mc Cartney great man great talent  even though he has morphed into a Turtle but ,I don't know why ,I just can't take to Bunter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I was in Liverpool the day after him. The tour guide I was with told me Paul was parked up in his old street in the 4 x4 and a young chav knocked the window and said to him " mister if you give me a quid I'll show you which house Paul McCartney lived in "  :)
    Fantastic city which I could have spent a week there
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Danny1969 said:
    I was in Liverpool the day after him. The tour guide I was with told me Paul was parked up in his old street in the 4 x4 and a young chav knocked the window and said to him " mister if you give me a quid I'll show you which house Paul McCartney lived in "  :)
    Brilliant !
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    thanks for that - I heard about it but not seen it - My daughter told me it was good - So many thanks for that posting - I heard an interview with him after that show when he said he would love to play The Cavern again and other smaller pubs like the old days

Check out his appearance with Ron Wood - some nice old stories from the past   

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Danny1969 said:
    I love Liverpool. A fantastic city full of musical energy and down to earth people. I only live 40 mins away so i often go over and just enjoy it.

On topic - I have a huge dislike for JC - but I'll watch this as Paul is obviously a legend.