help picking amp ?

What's Hot
dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
have £300 to £400 to spend on a guitar  amp ,  seems that there so many not sure what will suit , I play mostly rock or hard rock sounds ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    valve? with pedals? gig or home usage?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I'd probably consider a Marshall DSL or SLX, a Jet City or a Laney GH. 
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    valve? with pedals? gig or home usage?

not sure about it being valve but it will be for home use only , I might add some pedals at some point but for now just the amp will do .
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    If it’s just for home use then the Boss Katana is the sensible option 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    sweepy said:
    If it’s just for home use then the Boss Katana is the sensible option 
    ^ Just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I know I’m still in the honeymoon period, but it absolutely knocks the socks off any other solid-state amps I’ve come across. At under £200 what’s not to like?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    If your budget will stretch a bit there's a Boogie 5.25 on here for £550.  A proper grown up amp in comparison with the other stuff mentioned.  Imho of course.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Roland Blues Cube Hot. £420 ish in quite a few stores.

Can't go wrong for just using in the house.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Roland Blues Cube Hot. £420 ish in quite a few stores.

Not sure that really fits the bill for rock/hard rock sounds if that's what he plays. I love my Blues Cube, but it's not a high gain amp by any stretch, and the 'Hot' version is limited in that it's single channel and no FX loop.

Something like a Katana would be the best SS option. The now-discontinued Marshall DSL5C would be good if you can find one 2nd hand. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

Not sure that really fits the bill for rock/hard rock sounds if that's what he plays. I love my Blues Cube, but it's not a high gain amp by any stretch, and the 'Hot' version is limited in that it's single channel and no FX loop.

Something like a Katana would be the best SS option. The now-discontinued Marshall DSL5C would be good if you can find one 2nd hand. 
    I just thought Hard Rock = AC/DC type gain, which is easily achieved by Brett Kingman in the Demo. The fact that it's solid state also means the OP need not worry about valves (if he's new to them, that is).
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

I just thought Hard Rock = AC/DC type gain, which is easily achieved by Brett Kingman in the Demo. The fact that it's solid state also means the OP need not worry about valves (if he's new to them, that is).
    Very much depends on guitar you drive the BC Hot with to be honest. My Strat doesn't really get the amp up to rock levels of gain but my Les Paul pushes the amp into a near perfect Thin Lizzie live album tone. My Gretsch sits squarely in the middle and sounds bloody marvellous :)
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    cbilly22 said:

Very much depends on guitar you drive the BC Hot with to be honest. My Strat doesn't really get the amp up to rock levels of gain but my Les Paul pushes the amp into a near perfect Thin Lizzie live album tone. My Gretsch sits squarely in the middle and sounds bloody marvellous :)
    Which is one of the things that makes it feel pretty traditional in use now I think about it.