eBay shadey seller

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
spotted a vintage v100pgn not a stupid low price, messages the buyer as he had mentioned Upgraded pickups etc. Asked what he had Upgraded to, told he had popped Burs buckers in it, so not too shabby, paid through eBay. All is good, guitar has turned up today, packaged well enough so looking good so far. Expect THIS 

https://i.imgur.com/WYJfhjM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jXl4S0j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VamqiZ5.jpg

Blatant neck break, checked pickups and they are Epiphone g400 pickups as well so he was a total lying bastard. Have raised it through eBay. What a prick to think he could get away with thinking no one would notice a neck break

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Good grief!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    To be fair, the neck may have been broken in transit. What courier(s) made the delivery? 

The pickup issue suggests either that the seller has no idea what he/she is talking about or, as you suppose, is a flagrant liar. 

Opening a simple "Goods Not As Described" case should resolve the matter. eBay protocol may require you to communicate with the seller first, offering him/her a chance to rectify the matter amicably. 

One crafty option might be to invite the seller to refund you the cost of having the neck break repaired. Faced with the alternative of having to pay to have the guitar returned and, then, still not be able to sell it, the seller might make you an offer that you cannot refuse.

We might not like cracked necks but we know a man who does, don't we? ;)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    @Funkfingers absolutely no way the neck has been broken in transit, it was pretty well boxed with lots of polystyrene neck support and a proper box etc. This is part of the listing 

have had the pickups and machine heads upgraded. 
    Better tone and tuning stability. 
    This was all professionally completed by one of Ireland's top luthiers including a first class set up so the intonation is perfect the neck has no deadspots and the guitar really sings. 
    Bid to win.”

So the pickups have been changed from the standard Wilkinson to Epiphone g400 (not burstbuckers as was claimed) not sure that’s much on an upgrade? 
    Nah I suspect a shadey seller trying to get away with it, for once I am glad of ebays return policy :-)

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    Epiphone make pickups called ProBuckers….maybe he was getting mixed up.

Is the neck just cracked, or cracked and repaired? Does the guitar hold tension?
    edited June 2018
    Cracked and repaired @andrewaward ;;;

holds under tension just fine, and they ain’t even pro buckers they are Epiphone g400 pickups 
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    Ah he's totally at it then...….its a pain when this happens and you have to repack etc etc...…...ebay should provide you with a prepaid shipping label if it comes to it (paid for by the seller) - unless as mentioned you can negotiate a discount with him
    “professionally completed by one of Ireland's top luthiers.”
    Let me guess, the receipts to support this assertion have all gone A.W.O.L.  B)
    What a prick to think he could get away with thinking no one would notice a neck break
    The seller probably believes that St. George's Channel places him out of punching distance.
    Be seeing you.
    To be honest mate it would have to be a stupidly high discount for me to even be interested, I have repacked it up exactly as it came to me. Have raised the case through eBay and also messages the chap asking if he was aware of the neck break ( of course he was, look at the headstock pic he has made sure the break doesn’t show) 

https://i.imgur.com/tVNvbd7.png

Photograph 5 of 5 pretty much seals it. Seller is a flake.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Photograph 5 of 5 pretty much seals it. Seller is a flake.
    Yeah man, kinda what I though he knew exactly what he was doing 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

The machine heads haven't been upgraded either.Those are the ones this model comes supplied with.The holes suggesting Klusons were originally fitted are drilled in the factory and part of the relicing process.It least it was on the one I owned.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

The machine heads haven't been upgraded either.Those are the ones this model comes supplied with.The holes suggesting Klusons were originally fitted are drilled in the factory and part of the relicing process.It least it was on the one I owned.

Yup, they are indeed, 

whats funny is i I have opened the case 7 hours ago, I messaged the buyer yesterday for tracking details, he has just messaged me back saying yes I have some tracking details :-) nothing about the opened case though 
    He has now responded with this 

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the guitar.
    I had no idea the neck had suffered any damage and I was sure luthier who does all my work fitted burstbuckers.
    I will contact ebay and I will accept the guitar back as I had no issues with it other than I was thinning my collection.” 

Which is clearly bullshit as you can feel the crack and I noticed it straight away. He has offered a partial refund so far 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I recognise that luthier's handiwork. It's Shaimlus MacBodgit of Balleyoffal, County Offaly. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    I recognise that luthier's handiwork. It's Shaimlus MacBodgit of Balleyoffal, County Offaly. 
    Funnily enough it has come from Ireland 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Why only a partial refund?
    Cols said:
    Why only a partial refund?
    Guess damage limitation. He know has to pay return postage, and still has a guitar that is not as he described it so trying to cut his losses. 
    My reponse was it would need to be a massive chunk of money off for me to even consider it. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Partial refund is a joke surely, you want a full refund inc postage and he pays return postage. 
    Of course I do @BloodEagle unless of course he asked for £20 for it and then it’s an interesting project ;-)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    edited June 2018
    Looked at his feedback, seems to be a bit of a dealer to me rather than a hobbyist thinning the herd. 
    Can I just point out also that the tuner holes showing are part of the factory ageing detail as per the original Peter Green '59.

https://www.megatonemusic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/v/i/vintage-icon-v100mrpgm-lemon-drop-les-paul-8_1.jpg