Losing a stone

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    RMJ said:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Of all of the comments posted here I think diet is the thing I can change most easily within my daily routine.

What is good to snack on between meals if needed? Raw veg?
    I usually go for fruit (apple, small easy-peeler orange, or banana). Raw carrot is IMO a good vegetable option.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Cut off an arm?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    well cut out ALL carbs and sugar - -that's no cakes, bics, bread, spuds, pasta, rice, sweets and alcohol.

This will jolt the system into trying to stabalize the levels it has been used to by burning stored fat. Should see a significant result inside a month.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Cooking EVERYTHING from scratch helped me.  I have even started to bake a loaf of bread twice a week & find that one slice in the morning instead of 2 slices of supermarket bread fills me up as much.

As others have said, completely stopping take-aways & fast food will help you achieve your goal.  So will cutting out cakes, biscuits & Ice Cream.

As sad as it may sound, my best friend now are bananas and I actually look on them as a treat...instead of myself in the past eating half a pack of biscuits with a mug of milk.

• McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Be honest with yourself, don't kid yourself on - you know what you need to do.... 
    Stop eating crap, takeaways, sweets, cakes etc and cut out alcohol for a month or so. 
    Results guaranteed. 
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    It's funny because the medical knowledge now says to crash diet and then switch lifestyle to maintain. Goes against everything we all say but I think when you crash diet and then put it all back on (been there done that) it's because you don't get the sp on how to maintain the weight. 

I've been doing 5:2for a month and dropped nearly a stone, still having the odd beer and crappy carbs but slowly training myself in the non fasting days what is good and what's not. 

That said, I see the 5:2 as wholly sustainable long term
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Go vegan.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Garthy said:
    Become a vegan and make sure you tell everyone.
    Good plan 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    It's funny because the medical knowledge now says to crash diet and then switch lifestyle to maintain. Goes against everything we all say but I think when you crash diet and then put it all back on (been there done that) it's because you don't get the sp on how to maintain the weight. 

I've been doing 5:2for a month and dropped nearly a stone, still having the odd beer and crappy carbs but slowly training myself in the non fasting days what is good and what's not. 

What do 6ou typically eat on your fasting days?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Eat less, move more and keep going which can be the hardest part! You've got to make changes you can stick to forever otherwise you'll just put it all back on again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited June 2018
    RMJ said:

Intermittent Fasting (IF) is getting a nice body of evidence to support it -- so sustainability looks unproblematic at the moment but I guess to be fair the really long term info isn't there.  My hunch is that it will be okay.

And @RMJ I've opted for the 16:8 version as detailed in that book I mentioned.  No particular advantages other than it immediately appealed to me most of the three types of IF described.  So basically I eat what I want in the 8 hour window.  Obviously if you apply the eating version of Rule 1 ("don't eat like a dick") then you get faster results.  That said, I definitely had a few beers in June and I still lost a stone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    RMJ said:

Intermittent Fasting (IF) is getting a nice body of evidence to support it -- so sustainability looks unproblematic at the moment but I guess to be fair the really long term info isn't there.  My hunch is that it will be okay.

And @RMJ I've opted for the 16:8 version as detailed in that book I mentioned.  No particular advantages other than it immediately appealed to me most of the three types of IF described.  So basically I eat what I want in the 8 hour window.  Obviously if you apply the eating version of Rule 1 ("don't eat like a dick") then you get faster results.  That said, I definitely had a few beers in June and I still lost a stone. 
    Just looked up the 16:8...looks very manageable actually. I could easily eat between 10am and 6pm and that's it. Think I'll give that a go
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    RMJ said:
    Just looked up the 16:8...looks very manageable actually. I could easily eat between 10am and 6pm and that's it. Think I'll give that a go
    I found it took me about four or five days to adjust.  It's no different to Muslims adjusting to Ramadan.
    It wasn't like a total beasting or anything and hunger wasn't the main problem -- it was tiredness.
    And then it all sort of clears and feels totally normal.  As in: I'm finding well over half the days I'm not bothered by hunger at all and maybe one or two days a week I start noticing hunger at hour 12 but can easily survive till hour 16 or, as it happens, even longer. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Get rid of bread from your diet.  It's convenient rubbish and it's a vehicle for other rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Go vegan.
    Garthy said:
    Become a vegan and make sure you tell everyone.
    Good plan 
    Definitely this.
    I did a year ago - best thing l ever did
    Lost a stone in Jig time and feel so much better... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    It can be difficult to change unhealthy eating habits.

I switched from Ginsters Cornish pasties to their Moroccan vegetable ones.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I just lost a stone, cutting out bread and re-starting cycling to work. To be fair I can lose weight pretty easily, people store fat in different ways and can be more resistant to diet than others. If was you I'd cut out bread if you eat a lot and when you want a biscuit have a banana. If you live fairly close to work then ditch the car and start cycling.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    Grunfeld said:
    RMJ said:

I do this, periodically.  Just eat between mid day and 8pm.  Try and eat healthy in between but don't limit quantity. 
    I never need to lose much weight, but it definitely resets things, stops me getting energy dips and you feel lighter.  Drop a few % on the body fat scales over a month.

I don't find it difficult at all, stops pointless evening boozing/snacking and I prefer breakfast a bit later anyway (About 10am would be ideal, so only 2 hours of hunger).

I don't do this in in lieu of a healthy lifestyle, as we cook healthy stuff from scratch every night.  It's just nice to have a few weeks here and there, drop a few pound and keep at fighting weight.

I still eat bread, I don't see it as the enemy.  A couple of rounds of wholemeal bread a day won't make anybody fat.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Replacing carbs with amphetamines will see quickest results.
    11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Today I've been doing the 16:8 thing. So far so good. Was hungry before 10am but not that bad. Completed my eating window and have counted 1500 calories for the day. I'm guessing that's not enough and I will start feeling tired etc but will take a few days to get into it