Vox AC tone in a pedal?

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
A lot of these on the market.

What would you suggest for a classic clean to dirty, with plenty of Vox jangle.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    A vox amp?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    A vox amp?
     No space if I’m being honest. I’m considering an AC15 but to be honest I can’t fit more amps in!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I could be wrong here but would an equal pedal be just as good as any action pedal?
    I would assume it's the eq curve that defines the amps characteristics?

Unless you are planning on using the fx loop/pre amp trick thingy?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    edited June 2018
    I've had the Wampler Ace Thirty (twice), the Carl Martin AC Tone and the Tech 21 Liverpool.

The Carl Martin was just a box of filth I didn't think was Voxy at all.

The Wampler is great clean (very jangly and authentic) but I didn't much like it overdriven.

The Liverpool is a fantastic pedal clean or dirty, with immensely powerful tone controls. The cleans may be not quite up there with the Wampler, but it's close - and all-round a better sim for me.

I can get a Fender Princeton to sound very Voxy with it.

It has not killed my GAS for a Vox or el84-type amp (or another one, since I have owned a few) but it certainly staves it off

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    The Joyo AC Tone is pretty awesome
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    +1 for Joyo

• baggybillbaggybill Frets: 26
    Bearfoot/Bjfe emerald green distortion machine :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I could be wrong here but would an equal pedal be just as good as any action pedal?

Might well try the pre amp into effects loop...

I have an old Zoom G3 and I'm surprised at how much I like the Vox AC patch on it....

To be honest I'll end up with a Vox amp one day as I absolutely LOVE the sound....but until then....
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    Give the Carl Martin AC options a swerve.  On paper they (and their PlexiTone siblings) are everything you could want, but as @JohnPerry says above, they have way, way, way too much gain to be of any use.  Which is a shame as there's a great YouTube review of a guy running a Tele through the single channel AC Tone model and he gets Francis Rossi's tone on the intro to Down Down off to a T.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    If it’s a cranked ac30 tone, I have this that I can let go.

https://youtu.be/MwTyZNBmIIA

Clone of a catlinbread galileo...
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36

+1 for the Tech 21 Liverpool.

The character control gives you a wide range of tones and alters the gain structure, plus the EQ is very powerful. I used mine as a mid-gain drive pedal (with speaker sim turned off) into the front end of a clean amp and it did a really good job of giving the sound that Voxy character. 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    baggybill said:
    Bearfoot/Bjfe emerald green distortion machine :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491

Nah, a stack EQ curve doesn't really cut it - amps introduce distortion and different EQ curves dynamically, depending on the input signal. They can also be fast or slow dynamically, limiting the rate the signal can change over time... there's a lot going on, lots of different attributes interacting. An analogy would be trying to use coloured filters to turn a painting of a mountain into a portrait of George Vth.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    I have the Wampler Ace 30 - sounds great at 'home' volumes but I haven't had enough time to dial in an equally good tone at band levels. 
    I also have the old big box mains powered Carl Martin AC Tone and I agree that it doesn't quite capture the vox chime, but it still gets lots of use and has an absolutely fantastic clean boost option incorporated. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The Joyo AC Tone is pretty awesome

I think this is designed for direct use, and has built in speaker simulation that you can't turn off.   If you want to use it in front of an amp it might not be the best option.

I think that the Tech 21 pedal that it is based on has the option of turning off the speaker sim.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Origin effects Revivaldrive can summon up a Vox tone.
    It emulates a valve amp’s circuitry , including a control (amongst others)  for negative feedback , and this seems to work convincingly.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    rich75 said:

+1 for the Tech 21 Liverpool.

The character control gives you a wide range of tones and alters the gain structure, plus the EQ is very powerful. I used mine as a mid-gain drive pedal (with speaker sim turned off) into the front end of a clean amp and it did a really good job of giving the sound that Voxy character. 

am pretty sure the joyo AC tone is a clone of the tech 21 liverpool. i'm too lazy to search now (i'll let you) but i remember when i used to be into pedal making that one of those joyos was a direct clone. worth going to freestomp & similar sites & saving the 'is a clone of' lists for joyos & behringers. joyos in particular because they use through-hole componentns, proper 3pdt stomp switches & decent metal enclosures.

ignore the 'joyo' = cheap stigma. the same parts with same tolerances soldered into the same order will give the same result. (".. & that is why i love physics" as brian cox would say).
    i've got the joyo british tone, which is a dark brit-rock marshall-esque tuned preamp & tonestack in a box (based on another tech 21 i think). have had it five years, never had a problem, & still as good as they day i bought it for £20. sweet.

the basic principle is that the pre-amp (with valve subs) & tone stack go into a box & you run it through a valve amp clean power channel that will amplify (in a valve stylee) that psuedo first stage.

in the pedal the tubes will be substituted by transistors (sometimes diodes or transistors used as diodes, or a combination of, or an IC) that effectively mimic the dynamic response curve of the original valves under load, as far as is possible.
    then you get the tone stack from the original amp following from that, to bracket & shape, scoop etc.

so eq is part of it, but eq on its own wouldn't be enough, as it wouldn't be getting the full pre-amped 'shaped' signal to work with.

but like boutique dirt boxes, getting it right can be a fine art, as it requires filtering the transistors to get a good balanced bias between minimum tolerances (hfe, forward voltage). just as with a valve amp. but far less effort that valve amps i think, as transistors are a far more predictable & standardised kind of technology, especially modern ones.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • See if you happen to run in 4cm with some sort of fancy switcher, using the Liverpool direct to the effects return without your amps preamp in the road is pretty much spot on for me
  • Have owned the Boss bc2 and the Wampler 30 something/Ace30.  The Boss was too compressed when dirty, but the cleaner sounds were ok.  The Wampler was good clean but i could not get the dirty sound i was after- Queen and Status Quo type crunch.  However I loved the boost on it and used it on its own for a solo lead sound stacked with other drive pedals.  Currently own the Bearfoot emerald green pedal which is the best i have tried... but also bought a Vox ac4HW which it doen't work well with.  There is a certain irony that the Vox AC4HW does not have the sound I am after as well... which proves that getting the sound on an album, be it sutdio or live from a concert, is not the sound in your head!  Good luck in your search...