Variable speed router??

What's Hot
My router was over the hill so I bought a new one. The new one appears to have variable speed. I've never thought about it before - what would be the correct application of slow vs fast speeds?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How do you mean variable speed? Like, 5GHz vs 2.4GHz networks?

If so, some older gear can't connect to newer, faster networks. Also, sometimes the range of faster networks is shorter, so if you have a big old thick-walled house, you might get better results with slower options. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Generally it's smaller bits = faster (max) and large bits = slower, but all decent bits should have a maximum speed printed on the shank. Faster speeds will usually give less chatter, so a cleaner cut, but you can try slowing it down if you're getting a lot of scorching.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    If its marked say 1-6 or similar, find the rpm for each in the destructions. I wrote mine on a card at first but you soon get a feel for it. And as above the bits or packaging have rpm range on.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    How do you mean variable speed? Like, 5GHz vs 2.4GHz networks?

If so, some older gear can't connect to newer, faster networks. Also, sometimes the range of faster networks is shorter, so if you have a big old thick-walled house, you might get better results with slower options. 
    Wrong category of router ;) Yes it is confusing calling a woodworking tool and wi-fi equipment by the same name. Making & Modding is the clue in this case.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    If you smell burning wood...turn the speed down.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    And get a better mask and extraction system. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    Borrow my wireless router- that's got seriously variable speed.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Sporky said:
    And get a better mask and extraction system. 
    Can't wiz this enough. I routed out my afromosia semi-hollowbody guitar without a mask, and it was nothing short of a truly unpleasant experience - like routing black peppercorns. I now have a full-face shield/mask and nothing gets through. Its a 3M one, and the filters are interchangeable to accomodate anything you will come across. Well worth the money.