Article on recording guitar playing vocalists

I saw this and thought it might be worth a share. Any thoughts form those with experience of this sort of thing?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/recording-singing-guitarist
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2949
    edited July 1
    The perennial dilemma is best performance versus most controllable recorded sound at the mixing stage.

Why not begin with an all-at-once performance? Think of it as a guide.

Next, tell the performer that, in the interests of a strong finished sound, it will be necessary to double track the vocal as an overdub (sans guitar). With that done, ask for the guitar part to be double-tracked.

My bias is towards a slightly rough sounding, compelling performance rather than a beautiful recording of a gutless performance.

I note that the SOS article predates the L.R. Baggs Anthem and Lyric Tru-Mic transducer systems. In my opinion, these sound better than any of the products mentioned in the sidebar column. Unfortunately, being microphone-based, these systems will detect unwanted sounds from the surrounding air and physical impacts against the guitar body. 
    I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 674
    Interesting. Do you prefer these systems over mics in general or just the mics mentioned? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2949
    Having a PZM inside the guitar eliminates the problem of movement on and off axis relative to a conventional microphone on a stand. The vocals will still spill during quiet passages.

In a multi-track recording situation, I would take the L. R. Baggs system signal in addition to all the other microphones.

On a general level, I agree with the SOS contributor about the artificial tone derived from under saddle transducers.

Last month, I worked on a budget electro-acoustic guitar with a laminate soundboard and a moulded plastic back. That really did sound *plasticky*. Having said this, in some circumstances, that sound could be exactly what some music requires.
    I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.