Hosepipe ban

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 15799
    Rocker said:
    It is becoming necessary to get more than one use from the water that comes forth from our taps. Waste water (grey water) from whb, sinks, showers, washing machines etc can be collected and used to water lawns and flower beds for example. In chez Rocker, we keep a couple of buckets and collect the water used to wash veg and dishes also water that was used for cooking. In our house this is close to two bucketfulls each day. Helps the environment in a very small way. The roses are thriving as are the bedding plants. Worth the effort IMHO
    The water companies clean and recycle it. The UK gets more than enough water for its needs. There just needs to be a nationwide strategy rather than going all third world and flushing your toilet with washing up water.

My water company wants to build a new reservoir. Local NIMBYs block it and then moan there's a hosepipe ban. The NIMBY's should be overruled. These days you can put water storage facilities underground and build over them so you don't need to flood half the countryside.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8612
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:
    It is becoming necessary to get more than one use from the water that comes forth from our taps. Waste water (grey water) from whb, sinks, showers, washing machines etc can be collected and used to water lawns and flower beds for example. In chez Rocker, we keep a couple of buckets and collect the water used to wash veg and dishes also water that was used for cooking. In our house this is close to two bucketfulls each day. Helps the environment in a very small way. The roses are thriving as are the bedding plants. Worth the effort IMHO
    The water companies clean and recycle it. The UK gets more than enough water for its needs. There just needs to be a nationwide strategy rather than going all third world and flushing your toilet with washing up water.

My water company wants to build a new reservoir. Local NIMBYs block it and then moan there's a hosepipe ban. The NIMBY's should be overruled. These days you can put water storage facilities underground and build over them so you don't need to flood half the countryside.
    But doing the latter is so much cheaper, and because privatised water companies put shareholder before everyone else you can guarantee they won't build them underground, so the NIMBYs are right.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hmmm, I think to myself. Washing and cooking, drinking coffee etc., versus letting my garden wilt a bit.

Anyway Welsh Water waste all that money printing letters and leaflets in Welsh, so surely that's a green flag to me to wantonly waste water. Surely? What is that Welsh stuff anyway? All consonants it is, evil bastards.
    Dwr Cymru, as a statutory undertaker, are required by law to provide a bilingual service for which I am very grateful. The Welsh alphabet has seven vowels, English has five. And I like to think I’m not an evil bastard :smile: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2035
    edited July 12
    @Phil_aka_Pip ;; Wow indeed - fascinating story! 

Did you know we have a similar one in the Lake District, at Haweswater?  Two villages flooded out to construct a reservoir for Manchester Corporation Water Works in 1935 (earthworks began in 1929):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haweswater_Reservoir

Interesting "Withnail and I" reference at the end...

*edit* it's pretty empty itself just now:

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/countryside/a22099046/lost-cumbrian-village-mardale-green-heatwave-dries-haweswater-reservoir/

Grown most uncommonly fat!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5502
    I think it time we also had a Hornpipe Ban...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And a horsepipe ban
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2614
    I will be glad when the weather gets back to normal. Forty days without rain. Our reservoir of harvested rainwater is running low, the car is dirty and dusty (as all the other cars in our area are), zero grass growth. We had a hurricane or two before Christmas, heavy snowfall, rain that caused flooding and saturated the land and now a bad dry spell. Is this the blueprint for our future weather? I hope not....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

57Deluxe said:
    That rules out Georg Haendel's Water Music then
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 756
    water pressure at mine has dropped. Taps are dripping. im on a metre. its a conspiracy.  
    A woman i work with has a Daughter aged about 19. The woman said she complained to her daughter about the Gas bill as she is constantly spending too much time in the shower.
    Daughter said "I dont use the gas, just the hot water"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 489
    I read somewhere on Facebook from a local hottub hire guy that in NI the legislation states somewhere howepipe ban will only affect watering the garden or washing the car
  • WezVWezV Frets: 8389
    Rocker said:
    I will be glad when the weather gets back to normal. Forty days without rain. Our reservoir of harvested rainwater is running low, the car is dirty and dusty (as all the other cars in our area are), zero grass growth. We had a hurricane or two before Christmas, heavy snowfall, rain that caused flooding and saturated the land and now a bad dry spell. Is this the blueprint for our future weather? I hope not....
    Hot summers and cold winters?  We seem to expect the extremes but rarely get them so persistent 

It’s an interesting topic.  we get our ideal of a white Christmas from Dickens.  He just happened to be a child at a point it time when we had a long stretch of particularly snowy winters

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3933091/Dreaming-of-a-white-Christmas-Blame-the-nostalgia-of-Charles-Dickens-snowy-childhood.html