What does this look like to you?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    but is it any good ? 

You can make a Fiat Panda look like a Ferrari, but when you drive it it's still a Fiat Panda...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    ThorpyFX said:
    What frustrates me more than anything is, he already has a great enclosure design why does he have to rip me off.? 

He has two different enclosure designs for three current production pedals. The Thorpy ripoff one and the other prototype he showed recently (in the background in the pic in Thorpy's post) each have different enclosure designs again. 

Four different enclosures for five different pedals? Surely that costs a small fortune? 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    ThorpyFX said:
    What frustrates me more than anything is, he already has a great enclosure design why does he have to rip me off.? 

He has two different enclosure designs for three current production pedals. The Thorpy ripoff one and the other prototype he showed recently (in the background in the pic in Thorpy's post) each have different enclosure designs again. 

Four different enclosures for five different pedals? Surely that costs a small fortune? 
    I'm guessing he's (they?) getting them made super-cheap in China, but the scattergun approach to design seems to suggest there is no "plan" for marketing, and presumably the existing range isn't established enough that he feels it's worth building on. 

A bit odd to basically rip-off a very recognisable enclosure from someone else though. He hasn't even had the intelligence to use different knobs..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Vox V810 overdrive :)

but yes, can see your point entirely 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been on their Facebook page to point this out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    ThorpyFX said:

I'm guessing he's (they?) getting them made super-cheap in China, but the scattergun approach to design seems to suggest there is no "plan" for marketing, and presumably the existing range isn't established enough that he feels it's worth building on. 

A bit odd to basically rip-off a very recognisable enclosure from someone else though. He hasn't even had the intelligence to use different knobs..
    Very often in marketing these days, that is the plan, ie: offer a variety of product / design options without actually committing to a large build, assess demand, then actually go and build what's popular. Even some of the big companies do this, offering-up mockup concepts, cosmetics and specs for concepts that don't yet exist, then if people want it they build it and if they don't want it, the idea gets shelved with no money wasted on production.

Therein lies the problem: if the Thorpy-alike design proves popular, you quickly move from a niche small-scale item that doesn't sell many units, to something that takes-off, sells by the thousands and is at that stage a very real threat to the sales and IP of Thorpy.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    can you not send him a demo pedal and rig up a landmine to the on/off switch
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    I've been on their Facebook page to point this out. 
    appreciated, however he will probably just delete your comments. I have conversed with the guy and ultimately he doesn't give a shit. He wants me to pursue it through lawyers.

someone started a post on the Facebook group pedalboards of doom. and there is a lot of consternation there too, but i can't comment on it sadly.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Someone should go on TGP and start a new Thorpy FX pedal thread...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Looks like a crap version of your pedals....what a douchebag. 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Surely you know you’ve made it once someone clones your stuff? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that? 

In all seriousness though the guy is clearly a chancer dickhead. The Thorpy brand is not just built on your products it’s built on you as a person and your character and integrity will shine through a hell of a long time after this dickhead has disappeared back where he came from. A lot offer famous brands would do well to take notice of what you’ve achieved and how you conduct yourself. 

This sort of thing Must be shit as a business but maybe try and chalk it up as a bad experience that will eventually pass. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    All the pedal builders in the world to rip off, and he picks the one with the military explosives training. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    All the pedal builders in the world to rip off, and he picks the one with the military explosives training. 
    Balls.

Big balls.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shocker, comment was deleted, what a shower of absolute twats. You don’t deserve this, @ThorpyFX ;
    tFB Trader
    Shocker, comment was deleted, what a shower of absolute twats. You don’t deserve this, @ThorpyFX ;
    thanks very much. sadly some people don't give a single shit about how this sort of thing impacts.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Shocker, comment was deleted, what a shower of absolute twats. You don’t deserve this, @ThorpyFX ;
    thanks very much. sadly some people don't give a single shit about how this sort of thing impacts.
    Well some of us do. I’ve raised it in a thread on TGP, bring it a bit closer to home for them.
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Well some of us do. I’ve raised it in a thread on TGP, bring it a bit closer to home for them.
    well my only worry is that he gets positive attention from this...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’ve never heard of them. I don’t think you have anything to worry about really. Especially as your pedals are bloody legendary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom