Travelling NZ - recommendation

What's Hot
sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
Did a stint in NZ a few years back and loved it. 

Planning another trip towards the end of the year, got loads mapped out for things to do and places to see. 

Always like to hear others experiences/ favourite places. 

Waterfalls = brilliant
Forests = yes
Lakes = most definately 
Rotorua = smelly 
Mountains = I'm keen, the missus not so much (will be to the tongariro crossing) 

Come at me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    edited July 2018
    Ah- as per a previous thread, I did manage to make it to NZ for a very intense 17 days, and it was utterly fantastic.

Waterfalls are everywhere, especially after rainfall- hundreds suddenly appear on every rockface. But, let's be honest, Milford Sound is a really good spot, plus an upside of rain is a lot of waterfalls. A cruise might suit you well, as when we did one, we sailed almost under two!

Forests- drive (if you can) up the west coast, towards the Franz Josef glacier; itself a sight to behold, but the journey is through primeval rainforest. Just sublime and otherworldly. But maybe combine Milford Sound and waterfalls, with forest- the drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound goes through beautiful forest, which also hides several waterfalls. The signposting is excellent in New Zealand.

Lakes were some of my favourite experiences. Sunset over a quiet Lake Wanaka, looking at the southern alps doused in an orange glow. Almost spiritual. Lake Pukaki is unreal in its blueness, and the drive around its shore to Mount Cook National Park is fantastic. Another way to combine the lakes and mountains.

We headed up to Mount Cook village, and stayed overnight in one of the two main hotel complexes; this is a dark sky zone, and me and my girlfriend got up at 3am to take some long exposure photos of the Milky Way over the mountains. Magical. Bitterly cold though, and this was a couple of months ago, so maybe not a great idea now at that time!

Mountains are wholly and completely covered by Mount Cook national park- in the centre of the Southern Alps, we followed the Hooker Valley trail, which is quite long, but pretty much flat, and incredibly well set-up. Wooden walkways are set up above the more marshy ground, and there are three impressive bridges en route. This ends at the glacial lake just under Mount Cook itself, and the whole thing was quite possibly the most beautiful sight. It helps that we had excellent weather for this bit, and started of at 7am, meaning we beat all but the most dedicated hikers, and enjoyed it in relative solitude. There's a campsite just close to the start of the trail if that's your thing.

And the less said about Rotorua the better, but that was thanks to the elements, and I don't mean Sulphur! We got into Rotorua in torrential rain, which lasted for almost 12 hours. The rain really intensifies and spreads the suphuric stench, and it got into absolutely everything. We tried to go and see the geysers the next morning, but the rain had made them unaccessible, and several roads had flooded during the night making our journey all the more difficult. If the weather is clement, it is probably worth a go, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Overall, we loved the South Island, and had a more mixed experience of the North. The South is like a rotating display of incredible vistas- if driving, the landscape completely changes every couple of hours, from scrubland to alpine mountains to rainforest. If you've been before and travelled a bit, you'll know exactly what I mean. The North we went from Wellington (a lovely city, quirky, and the Lord of the Rings stuff was great if that's your cup of tea), up to Auckland (REALLY not a fan, too much of a 'big' city, with everything that entails), and then in a triangle down to the Waitomo glow worm caves (beautiful, but possibly too pricy), east to Rotorua, and then north back to Auckland, via Matamata and the Hobbiton set (again, brilliant if you're a fan, and probably lovely even if you're not, though the rain followed us from Rotorua so I was thoroughly soaked).

Apart from the length of the journey, I would absolutely love to visit New Zealand again, and hope to as soon as I can. Enjoy your return! :-D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    Tongariro Crossing was a good fun when I did it, though it was snowing and Coromandel was also great.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

@themeinside a very comprehensive list , confirming past decisions and future plans!

Route is looking at travelling down the entire west coast, Auckland - Milford sounds, then back up the west.

I'll put some more time in for the in-between bits around FJ glacier and te anau, I had had them pegged as 'nice drive'.

Mt. Cook / hooker valey is definitely on the list.

Did the glow worm caves, and hobbiton last trip (but will probably go again because we nerrrddzzz)

got 2 months there so lotttss of exploring time!!!!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Lake Tarawera near Rotorua (from memory) was pretty nice. Good view of the mountain from there too. I don't remember much from the buried village, but it could be worth a look.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    quarky said:
    Lake Tarawera near Rotorua (from memory) was pretty nice. Good view of the mountain from there too. I don't remember much from the buried village, but it could be worth a look.

ahh yeah Tarawera! That's back on the list!

Did buried village before, was pretty cool!

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    If you’re interested in wine it’s a great place to be. 
    Check out a tasting or two?

My favourites all come from Hawke’s Bay on the North Island as opposed to the more well known areas. Napier is the closest “major” airport I think. Trinity Hill is maybe my favourite spot - a teeny amount gets exported to the UK too so it’s not impossible to chase the memories long after you get back. 

If you’re in Queenstown for any length of time there are tonnes of places in the Otago as well. Good Pinot Noir region...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited July 2018
    I went to NZ a few years ago. Based out of Auckland, I saw a good chunk of the north Island, but didn't make it to Wellington. Went in May, and had the roads to myself on the various day trips I did.

I also did a quick single day hop to Christchurch. This was approx 2-3 years after the major 2010/2011 earthquakes, and the extent of damaged buildings was shocking. Many buildings were condemned, and they are doing their utmost best to retain those buildings with historical interest, as well as rebuilding the place. Hard because it's been the epicentre of many more earthquakes since.

Back in the North, I did various day trips in a hire car. As this was May, I had the roads to myself. Some photos below.

NZ never did build up any industrial history, yet you can see the remains of a former gold processing plant called the Victoria Battery, alongside the Ohinemuri River at Waikino. I was driving along on the other side of the river, turned round found the entrance, and walked around it as the National Trust hadn't yet got their greedy mitts over it. Talk about lucky find - it even had some restored old lime kilns (covered over at top of hill in the centre background).

This next photo is of the landscape near Waitomo Caves - well worth visiting in their own right. The hills you see are all old lava flows.

The next photo is at Waitangi, where the Maoris signed the peace treaty with the British approx 150 years ago. Again, dripping with history, I suggest Waitangi is another must visit.

The third ... well as I travelled around, I kept seeing these abandoned timber fence structures everywhere. Having asked local, I was told these were for sheep/lambs as part of the means to round them up onto vehicles for transportation to the market. These are no longer used now that NZ farmers have abandoned sheep in favour of cattle. I learnt something new that day.

Rotorua - despite the smell - is like a different planet. Steam rising from the drains and the many mud pits (in a public park) was one of the wierdest things I saw on the trip. Highly recommended is a visit to a genuine Maori village called Te Puia on the outskirts of Rotorua with it's own hot water geysers.

If you're in Auckland is the Museum and the Winter Gardens is also worth visiting.

It might sound daft, but if you ever need a supermarket, then New World will show you how good a supermarket can be. Best supermarket I've ever had the pleasure to shop in. Easily better than Waitrose.

I only got to spend two weeks in NZ, and it was nowhere near enough time to take it all in. Loved the place to bits, and would do it again when the time is right.

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    A few pics from 2005:

Rangitoto, off Auckland.  If you've plenty of time, worth a day trip.  Especially if the boat breaks down and the crew break out the free beer while you're waiting to be taken off...

Jetboating is worth a go.  The Shotover Canyon on South Island is excellent, but for my money, the Rapids Jet on the Huka River on North Island edges it:

Punakaiki on South Island:

Take a heli hike up onto Franz Josef glacier:

The Moeraki Boulders on the Otago coast:

This chap was near the Otago coast also, IIRC:

Also worth mentioning is a trip on the TranzAlpine railway which runs right the way across South Island.  And we'd have done a flight over Mount Cook, if the weather had allowed it.

Fantastic place, though.  About 20 years ago, my cousin set off to cycle round the world.  He got as far as New Zealand, and has been there ever since.  I can see why.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    When I went to Waitomo Caves, we went "black water rafting". Basically floating down water in caves in an inner-tube. It was good fun actually if they still do it.