Is this a gumtree scam?

What's Hot
sawyersawyer Frets: 732
I've had three texts now regarding a guitar I have for sale asking is the guitar still for sale? Can you email me back on this email. Then there's an email address. Two had phone number that couldn't be replied too so seem obviously dodgy. Just had another one from genuine looking mobile number but again asking if guitar still for sale?can I pick it up tonight please reply to 'email adress'. Is this a scam. If so hows it work? Why text someone then ask to reply via email? Especially when they could just respond to my advert via my email through gumtree?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7013
    tFB Trader
    I'm going with "yes, it's a scam"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited July 2018
    Bypassing the advertisement service provider communication channels is usually dodgy.

Likeliest explanations;
    1. an attempt to avoid fees 
    2. hoping to beat the vendor down on price by offering cash and hectoring.
    3. in extremis, a precursor to a burglary.
    If the person discovers that you still have the guitar, where your home is and when it is unoccupied, you lay yourself open to theft.

If Gumtree has a Report Shady Behaviour button, now might be a good time to click on it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    If you reply to the email address provided they will tell you it’s for their blind lesbian dumb cousin who is in a wheelchair and possibly also Irish, they will say that they can’t pick it up as they live in Mozambique with work but will pay you and then arrange a courier. Bye bye guitar and no money 

*no blind lesbian deaf dumb Irish people were insulted in the making of this post 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    One word: Avoid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    It's a phishing/identity theft scam to get your email address, combined with your physical address when you give it to them, and possibly your phone number as well. They can do quite a lot with that information. Even a confirmed genuine email address by itself is of value to spammers.

Hence why Gumtree have a mailbox system for replying to genuine buyers, so you don't have to give your own address.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Bizarre! It's only a £200 Ibanez. Obviously I'd never respond to theses people but just couldn't see what they would get out of it. As I say its just a £200 Ibanez. Nowt exotic or mega value. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    sawyer said:
    Bizarre! It's only a £200 Ibanez. Obviously I'd never respond to theses people but just couldn't see what they would get out of it. As I say its just a £200 Ibanez. Nowt exotic or mega value. 
    Probably not the guitar theyre after. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    gumtree has a perfectly functioning message service. it also serves as a timed/dated back-up of any correspondence/interactions between you and the buyer/seller, should an issue arise.

why go commando?
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Yes it is - do not respond. :)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Yes I get them all the time. If you can be arsed you can have some fun with these dickheads. 9 times out of ten they’ll claim to be female and say something like “is item still for sale”
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Yes I get them all the time. If you can be arsed you can have some fun with these dickheads. 9 times out of ten they’ll claim to be female and say something like “is item still for sale”
    So is item actually still sale? 

I email. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    skunkwerx said:
    So is item actually still sale? 

I email. 

I only reply by carrier pigeon now. 
    Weeds out the trouble makers. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    My favourite recent reply went something like: Lovely guitar, and worth every penny of the 600 you’re asking. However, I’m looking for a guitar for my son, who’s grandmother has recently died and left him 500 to buy a quality instrument. With that in mind, would you take 500?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    On gumtree, I always stick to gumtree messaging which they can reply from their email to. Sounds a little dodgy to me as they could just update their email address in gumtree and that address would get the emails
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    usedtobe said:
    My favourite recent reply went something like: Lovely guitar, and worth every penny of the 600 you’re asking. However, I’m looking for a guitar for my son, who’s grandmother has recently died and left him 500 to buy a quality instrument. With that in mind, would you take 500?

ask about the other grandmothers health
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    WezV said:
    usedtobe said:

ask about the other grandmothers health
    I wish I’d thought of that at the time!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Say yes, but only if you can go through the deceased's belongings to make up the difference.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Sat yes, but only if the grandmother is an 'eater'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2018
    I took my ads down within a day as I had the same thing. A barrage of "Is it still for sale" and all supposedly female buyers who would PayPal me and send their courier instead because of 'their location'.

I think Reverb, this place and BassChat are about all that's open to most as decent selling platforms. I don't like Ebay and their charges and policies and commission sales are too much in shops (average is 20%).