The Best Strings..?

What's Hot
HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
Hi Guys, after playing acoustic for about 50 years I am just about to get my very first electric guitar. It's in transit at the moment, coming from the other side of Australia, I've swapped a Republic Resolian Parlor size resonator for a (apparently as new with only about 4 hours use) Fender 'Squier' Standard Telecaster. I know absolutely nothing about electric guitar strings but I have always played with Martin light gauge strings on my acoustics. I've read that the Squier Telecaster comes with 9 gauge strings as standard but I don't know if those are light, or not? Can I ask, and I know that this is such a personal taste thing, but, just for future reference and to give me some idea of what's on offer, what would be the best light gauge strings on the market... that is, make and gauge, that would suit a Squier Telecaster being played at home in a fairly gentle manner...?
Cheers, Hansi 

TO DO IS TO BE - Nietzsche   TO BE IS TO DO - Kant   DO BE DO BE DO - Sinatra
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Most of the major string brands will have their fans here (and people who think they're awful). To be honest, for most players there's likely to be very little difference. D'Addario, Ernie Ball and Rotosound are all widely available in the UK and perfectly decent. 

9s might well feel a little too light under your fingers if you've been an acoustic player until now. 9s or 10s are about "standard" for electric guitar inasmuch as there's really any such thing. I think the Martin light gauge acoustic strings are 10-47, so an electric guitar 10-46 set will be roughly equivalent.

One thing worth considering is coated string sets, particularly if you have sweaty hands that rust regular strings quickly. I like Elixirs on my guitars (Nanoweb or Optiweb, not the older Polyweb ones) and haven't yet found another brand that lasts as long and sounds as good. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    As the previous poster stated there are many good brands out there, if you go for a set of USA made strings you’re probably on the right track. As this is your first electric guitar I’d suggest you tried a 10/46 set to start with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HansiRHansiR Frets: 28
    Thanks very much Bob and Henry, that's given me a  guide to follow when choosing strings. The strings that are already on the guitar may turn out to be just right but I always like to start off with new strings when I purchase a used guitar. Even though this guitar has hardly been played I think it may have been in storage for a while, so a new set is probably the way to go. The Martin strings that I use  on acoustics are 12 -54 and coded 'Light', and are the 'Lifespan SP' coated ones, not that I have sweaty hands (well, sometimes when it's over 40 c here in West Australia!) but I like the feel of them and they are supposed to last longer. Anyway, thanks again for your help, I'll drop in at one of the large guitar shops here and see what they have to offer. At least I now know what to look for so thanks very much!
    Cheers, Hansi

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    I tried DR, diaddario, rotosound, ernie ball and time and time again I snapped one or two of high ones in 2 weeks.

Fender strings now (cheaper and lasting 6 weeks or more before i snap a string). No other changes on guitar
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

I've just fitted D'addario NYXLs and unfortunately seem to like them...much to the disgust of my wallet

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I used to play 11's when switching over from acoustic but went down to 10's when doing string bends. I play quite aggressively so couldn't play 9's. Been a long time Ernie Ball user, they sound brighter and just feel nice to me.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Brands are a very personal choice based on many things but I would suggest you go for a set of 10-46 which should feel ok after playing an acoustic.
    Strings are cheap and I'm sure after trying  a few brands you will find one you like.
    Enjoy the search.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411

Ignoring British brands that might be hard to get in Australia, I'd start with D'Addario EXL110 which are 10 to 46 gauge.  Personally, I've always found D'Addario last much longer than Ernie Ball.

If Australia is anything like the UK, you will find them a lot cheaper online than in a local shop.  In the UK Amazon sell them - although it's safer to get them from Amazon themselves rather than a third party seller on Amazon. There are too many fakes around.

If you do like coated strings, then Elixir are an option, although a lot of the other makers do offer coated options as well.

Thanks very much everyone for all that info... as 10 - 46 gauge has been mentioned often I'll try those out first. As to the make,  it looks like either D'Addario or Elixir, I'll have to see what the stores carry here, or I'll order them online. What is the difference between D'Addario NYXL and EXL110...?
    Cheers, Hansi

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    HansiR said:
    Thanks very much everyone for all that info... as 10 - 46 gauge has been mentioned often I'll try those out first. As to the make,  it looks like either D'Addario or Elixir, I'll have to see what the stores carry here, or I'll order them online. What is the difference between D'Addario NYXL and EXL110...?
    Cheers, Hansi

The EXL110 is the conventional string that everyone has been using for years.  The NYXL is some super duper new alloy, or marketing gimmick depending on your point of view, that costs a lot more.  On Strings Direct here in the UK, the NYXL are more than double the price of the EXL110.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Due to an extremely wooly sounding bottom E string, I have revised my opinion of Gibson Brite Wires. Therefore, I hereby officially withdraw my allegiance to Gibson Brite Wires.

Consequently, I have put my order in for half a dozen sets of Fender strings seeing as they are made by D'Addario but cost 25% less.
    Thanks for clearing that up crunchman, wow, that's a big difference in price but are the NYXL any better? Fender strings are made by D'Addario... that's interesting to know...
    Cheers, Hansi