Instruments/gear you MUST get around to fixing ... sometime

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Sesh said:
    One day my Tele kit will be finished and reassembled. I started it early this year but it was too cold. Now it's too hot. 
    I bought all the parts for a Tele because my girlfriend said she’d paint it for my Christmas present. 

It’s still not painted... 
    Well Christmas is still 6 months away.... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Almost every guitar I own has a job or two that need finishing.   I kinda worry that I will just sell them once they are actually complete, so it’s better to never get them to that state
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited July 2018
    Been meaning to get a new neck for my old strat copy for years now. I think the horrid neck profile and super thin/worn frets are why I dislike playing it so much but I never get round to changing it. Also wanted to put the stock neck pickup back in my SGfor a long time but again just can't be arsed! It took me about 4 months to finally put a new speaker in my cab.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I've got a Marshall Country Club Combo (ancient thing from the 70s) that I did my first gig on when I was about 13...about 5 years later I bought it from a classifieds ad in Guitarist, without realising it was still owned by the guitarist from the band I'd played with whom I'd borrowed it from. Had it ever since (c.24 years now!), but about 15 years ago it went bang and stopped working. It's pretty knackered from gigs etc too, and whoever had it before the guy I got it from did some rewiring of sorts in the back. Keep meaning to take it to Marshall to get it refurbished, but just never got round to it, mostly because I'd have to drive Milton Keynes. I did actually email Marshall about it this year, and they can do it, so maybe soon!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    My first good guitar, a Fender JD Telecaster. Dodgy rewiring job I did years ago needs to be done properly.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    My nephew left me with a thoroughly abused Ibanez Artcore when he moved down south which I intended to bring back to life.

He's been back in Derbyshire for a few years now and it's still lent up in the corner of the spare room completely untouched.  Daft thing is, I've order all the parts I need and still haven't done anything with it.

It also took me 2 years to complete my last build - eventually got fed up with it hanging about so threw it together as quickly as possible and then passed it over to Steve Robinson to make it playable. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I put together my partscaster tele and have now bought a brand new neck, a nitro rosewood 7.25 allparts neck which is exactly what I want, now faced with drilling the neck screw holes fitting a string tree and tuners it just looks a c0ck up waiting to happen, drilling is my kryptonite!  Why didn't I just buy a tele : )
  • I need to resolder the earth on my partscaster... I've been meaning to do it for a while, but the routing is tight & getting everything tucked away is tricky. 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Too many jobs to do - never have the time to get them done (GAS just provides a new shiny toy)

- Selection of Ibanez  Floyd rose guitars need setting up (truss rod and intonation)

- Brian Moore needs a fret dress

- Couple of Marshall valve power amps need re-valving

- Old JCM 800 combo needs capacitors changing and a darn good service

- Endless pile of cables that need fixing

- Line 6 vetta combo needs to be taken to the tip - bloody charity shop didn't want it and bugger all chance of selling it!!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    bbill335 said:

it's badly stripped, nothing that fits can turn it. I've contemplated getting the stewmac tapered hex tool but... shipping, duties,etc... haven't got round to it. 
    Try hammering an old flat-blade screwdriver into it, clamp the body to a table and bow the neck backwards as far as you dare to take the tension off it, then see if you can get the nut out. If you can, then just replace the nut.

David5150 said:

- Line 6 vetta combo needs to be taken to the tip - bloody charity shop didn't want it and bugger all chance of selling it!!
    Someone here will probably have it for parts if it's going for free - the speakers must be worth something at least.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150 said:

Too many jobs to do - never have the time to get them done (GAS just provides a new shiny toy)

- Selection of Ibanez  Floyd rose guitars need setting up (truss rod and intonation)

- Brian Moore needs a fret dress

- Couple of Marshall valve power amps need re-valving

- Old JCM 800 combo needs capacitors changing and a darn good service

- Endless pile of cables that need fixing

I would have taken the Combo but your'e all the way in Essex!!!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Put the vetta on the gumtree. 

I recently got £80 for my old line 6 spider iii.. admittedly the footswitch was probably £40 of it but still! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

So much interest in the Vetta!!!!! First time that's been said on this forum!!

I'll clean it up, take some snaps and list it on here for a few quid

Cheers chaps

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have two DIY pedals I bought off eBay 15 years ago. Ones a treble boost and the other is a ring modulator. I took them apart to build an a/b pedal and they still in bits
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've yet to finish off the Squier Precision Special I resprayed some time ago. I need to enlarge the control cavity slightly to compensate for an extra pot (I added a Stingray 2-band preamp) and I somehow never got around to it. I don't have a router or know anyone that does, so it'll probably have to be chiselled out by hand.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited July 2018
    Other stuff that's occurred to me:
    • the scratchy volume pot that makes my Conrad-Johnson preamp unusable
    • the Leak Troughline tuner that stays tuned in for just over an hour then stops receiving FM
    • my Tom Evans microGroove phono stage hums way too much even after having its filter caps replaced and will probably have to go back to Tom Evans
    • getting my Trilogy VTi fixed

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    edited July 2018
    My Ferrograph series 5 reel-to-reel that I had converted to an amp.  I stupidly switched it on a couple of years back but had the speaker plugged into the wrong jack socket and it went pop.  The chap who did the conversion has retired now and my local amp tech didn't want to go near it.

I really need to find someone competent who is prepared to have a dig around and find what's wrong. It could be as simple as a blown valve for all I know but I don't have any spare ef86's around to check it out.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    ICBM said:
    bbill335 said:

it's badly stripped, nothing that fits can turn it. I've contemplated getting the stewmac tapered hex tool but... shipping, duties,etc... haven't got round to it. 
    Try hammering an old flat-blade screwdriver into it, clamp the body to a table and bow the neck backwards as far as you dare to take the tension off it, then see if you can get the nut out. If you can, then just replace the nut.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try and get around to it at some point. By the way, I'm liking the .047 cap in the tele! It's sweeter and more Tele-ish somehow.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    David5150 said:

So much interest in the Vetta!!!!! First time that's been said on this forum!!

I'll clean it up, take some snaps and list it on here for a few quid

Cheers chaps

If you wanted to be rid of something, but you literally can't give away, might be worth seeing if a school or college takes donated gear.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Im just waiting for @HarrySeven ; to appear on this thread and break the internet 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom