Not sure what to get next. Strat or SG

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I downsized a bit and only have 3 electrics and have a Les Paul traditional, telecaster and a les Paul junior. The junior may go for now.

so if I had say £700 to spend I am drawn to a strat or an SG. What kind of strat should I look for in this price range? Used American strat? I had a roadhouse strat before but it didn’t feel right. Not sure what it was but it didn’t feel high quality. I always liked the look of the 50s classics and they are on sale at the moment on gaks website. Are they any good?

Though on the other hand I probably can find a Sg standard for around that price. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Partscaster?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Japanese reissue? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    adamm82 said:
    Though on the other hand I probably can find a Sg standard for around that price. 
    Is the main consideration the price or the sonic palette?

Adding a third Gibson type guitar to your existing collection slews it very much towards one particular sort of sound. Adding a Stratocaster balances out the Fender:Gibson ratio, providing you with more options.

The third way is to get something completely different. e.g. Gretsch, Fender *offset*, Brian May Red Special, something hollow or semi-hollow, what-have-you. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I just picked my first SG, a P90 loaded Classic. If you're looking for a nice playing, light guitar with huge tone, it's worth a look.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think it depends on whether you get on best with Fenders or Gibsons. For me it's the latter. I had (and still have) LP & SG before I bought a Strat, and I think the guitar I've spent the most time playing since I bought it is ... my ES-335!

There's nothing wrong with having a Strat, for the variety of tonal palette you can get from it compared to your LP, but if you want a lighter tone and don't get on with Strats, by all means try the SG.

There's nothing wrong with having both btw ;)  GAS rules!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7104
    Hows about a J Mascis Jazzmaster ?  Nice blend of P90 ish tones and a Fender feel 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited July 2018
    Mexican Classic Series (not Classic Player) will be the best Strat in that price range - for me even above a second hand US Standard.  Much prefer the vintage style Strat bridge.
    Hows about a J Mascis Jazzmaster ?  Nice blend of P90 ish tones and a Fender feel 
    Must be Purple Sparkle because shiny things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The strat will give you tone options that you don't already have whereas I'd guess the SG isn't going to be light years away from the les Paul.

It is a guess though, never actually played an SG. I know that the neck pickup is a lot closer to the bridge than on the LP so maybe my guess is wrong and the SG will add just as much variety.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    SG has better upper fret access and sustain than most Strats, but you lose out on single coil clarity/sparkle if the humbuckers are too hot. A P90 loaded SG would be a good fix and add something useful to the mix.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    You could have a search around for an SG Special with mini humbuckers, there's been a few models in recent years, and you could probably grab a new one on offer for £600 or less, or the current model for under £700. Then, if you don't like what the mini humbuckers are offering, it's easy to swap them for P90s
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I've done exactly the above. 2018 Specials can be hand new for £650 in red and £700 in the natural finish. To me they're like a Les Paul but the ergonomics are less hostile to the average human.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I couldn't live without my Strat.
    It's refined to exactly what I want and it's always faultless.
    Mine is an American Pro I had modified by Feline guitars.

I'd say get a Strat given what you've got already.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Never once had an inkling to own or play an SG.  Strat for me all the way. £700 I'd say look out for a used roadworn or classic lacquer or get an 80s tokai or MIJ
    I can't get on with SGs, whenever I play them it feels like my hand is a few inches further back to rest on the bridge.

Shame, because I like the raw tone they give, much bite.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Jack_ said:
    I can't get on with SGs, whenever I play them it feels like my hand is a few inches further back to rest on the bridge.

Shame, because I like the raw tone they give, much bite.

PRS S2 Singlecut Satin has quite a lot of that bite.  I'd say closer to SG than Les Paul.  Some of the best coil taps I've heard as well.