Good pans without non stick?

What's Hot
I'm after some stainless steel pans - I have regular pans, but would like a sauté pan (preferably with a glass lid) for reducing big dishes. 

I have some carbon steel pans that are ace once seasoned properly, but the seasoning gets absolutely wrecked when anything acidic goes in (in a way cast iron seasoning seems to sort of survive). To this end, I suppose a cast iron one would work but I'm not sure they exist... 

The only ones I've found are le creuset and Eva, both of which are quite expensive although appear very high quality. Does anyone else know of some? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I don't know about others but I've had a bit of everything from Le Creuset and they are seriously good. Our stainless pans (saucepans, not frying) are still like new after 7 years of almost daily use. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    I have some John Lewis ones I was given 25 years ago, still going strong.

They look much like these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-classic-pan-set-3-pieces/p2647369
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    http://www.judgecookware.co.uk/Products/Cookware.html

No prices and you can’t order online I don’t think, but you can see what range they have.

Bought one a few years ago half price in Fenwicks and it’s been great.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I don't know about others but I've had a bit of everything from Le Creuset and they are seriously good. Our stainless pans (saucepans, not frying) are still like new after 7 years of almost daily use. 
    ^ This. Our Le Creuset pans are 10 years old this year and still as new. They have properly riveted handles which I like - no going floppy or falling off. Pans for life. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    +1 for Le Creuset.
    We have a full set of them and they look brand new after 10 years.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I have a couple of Le Creuset pans.  Probably getting on for 15 years old and in close to daily use.  Not a mark on them.  Totally fab.

• On the advice of a chef friend I got most of my cookware from a catering industry supply store. A lot more choice and good value, including brands that you would never see in department stores.

Something like this might fit your bill (though you have to buy the lid separately)…

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-tri-wall-saute-pan-240mm/gg031

I have a number of Vogue pans. They're not fancy or built for aesthetics, but they do the job.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793

I have a number of Vogue pans. 
    Do you have to cook standing still?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On the advice of a chef friend I got most of my cookware from a catering industry supply store. A lot more choice and good value, including brands that you would never see in department stores.

Something like this might fit your bill (though you have to buy the lid separately)…

I have a number of Vogue pans. They're not fancy or built for aesthetics, but they do the job.

Mate that looks really good, and more affordable for sure. 

I do like the le creuset stuff and the lady may want it anyway as it's quite attractive, but if not this will do the job great for half the price. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    On the advice of a chef friend I got most of my cookware from a catering industry supply store. A lot more choice and good value, including brands that you would never see in department stores.

Useful website, cheers!
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I've got Le Creuset pans also. Be aware that, whilst excellent, they are fairly weighty.

I thought I'd ruined one when I forgot about some plums that I was stewing. I had to initial use a screwdriver to get the worst of the solid blackened residue off the bottom of the pan. However, apart from superficial scratch marks, the pan has since been perfectly useable. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    We've got several Le Pentole pans. Stainless steel, with a composite base that adds a little extra. Had them for 20+ years, use one or two of the saucepans every day and they still work brilliantly and clean up properly inside and out. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    edited July 2018
    This thread title is a brilliant example of why double negatives sometimes aren’t not needed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
  • sev112 said:
    This thread title is a brilliant example of why double negatives sometimes aren’t not needed

I agree, but it's really hard to find quality pans than don't have Teflon. 

I use metal utensils and tbh don't have many problems with sticking .. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    We have a large le creuset pan still in regular use that must be at least 20 years old, doesn’t look brand new though! We also have a frying pan that’s nearly as old but rarely gets used as it’s so bloody heavy. 
    They often have shops at outlet stores, not sure how much cheaper the pans are at them though. There’s a le creuset outlet at Bicester for example. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I like the higher end stuff from ProCook. I’ve got a non-Teflon set of pans from them that is great. I’ve also got a couple of non-stick frying pans from them and when the Teflon started peelig at the edge of one of them after a few years of dishwasher use they replaced it without question by just posting out a new one for free!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.