The Fretboard Cover Challenge #1

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    TTony said:
    Just catching up with a few things forum-related, and I have to say that I'm really disappointed that I missed this (not that I'd have found the time or ability to participate)!.

What a great idea, and a stunning set of submissions.  Brilliant from all.

:)

More!!
    Not too late to enter Tony!!!

and it’s winner stays on!!!!

Whoever wins it gets to pick the next cover!... already narrowed my choices down should I win... it’ll either be an 10 minute anthem of a prog rock extravaganza or “girls aloud”... one of the two :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

Would it add to the arousal or violation if I told you I was naked when I recorded the vocal?

POIDH 
    Next time I promise!
    enjo said:
    poopot said:
    enjo said:
    Thanks poopot - I really need to work out both compression settings and mastering. Also playing, singing, midi drums and bass.
    Was worth getting the daw and interface no?

Hell yes. I'm in awe of what some of you guys are putting out - they are brilliant.
    If you want practice with the new daw have a crack at this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/137065/mixing-challenge-no2#latest
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    poopot said:

it’s winner stays on!!!!

Whoever wins it gets to pick the next cover!... already narrowed my choices down should I win... it’ll either be an 10 minute anthem of a prog rock extravaganza or “girls aloud”... one of the two :)

Interesting tactic - hinting at the next song to chase votes.

I'll keep my cards close to my chest and not reveal anything other than to simply state that my choice would be better than yours... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

it’s winner stays on!!!!

Interesting tactic - hinting at the next song to chase votes.

I'll keep my cards close to my chest and not reveal anything other than to simply state that my choice would be better than yours... :)
    It could be a massive double bluff ;)

always liked “green door” by shaky!!!! :)
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Had a chance to put one of the guitars down today, will try and get an entry in as well. Loving the metal and sex offender takes on this track so far!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    poopot said:

always liked “green door” by shaky!!!! :)
    You're kidding!

Really?

You like that one too????
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Really enjoying these, but I may have miscalculated the number of hours in a day/week/month in order to participate. I'm hoping I can contribute on some in the future.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I've submitted just now, hope the email reaches you.

Looking forward to hearing all the others now tomorrow!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited August 2018
    I've submitted just now, hope the email reaches you.

Looking forward to hearing all the others now tomorrow!
    Added to the playlist.

That makes 7

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/thefb-cover-challenge-1-i-think-were-alone-now
    Did my vocals for this yesterday, it is quite hard to sing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    edited August 2018
    IMC1980 said:
    It is, took me quite a while (admittedly with a bad throat) to find the right key so as to reach both the higher and lower bits. I think long slow phrases are harder to do well, like balancing on a bike going as slow as you can

Or as Poopots character for his version might say...
    "Big breaths!"
    "Yeth, and I'm only thixteen"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    And now you know why “uncle” appeared! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have written this comment a couple of times now, don't know if there is an issue with multi-quoting in one comment, anyway:

@thecolourbox:
    I tune down half a step and used the standard chords (so in "real" terms, C#, G#, F# etc.) and it was difficult pitching that pre-chorus. Would have never of managed it in standard tuning. My version is about 170BPM and quite punky (although not as punk as the Snuff version on the first page), so unfortunately, I don't have any slow bits; but playing back the vocals last night did make me smile! Just need to do the other guitars, bass and finish the drums. Oh, and mix it!

@poopot

Uncle Slippyfist sounds like a very bad man....
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    IMC1980 said:

That's why i posted the warning about key choice.

I didn't check key as the original was fine to sing up or down the octave so I assumed that going up to E would be okay...
  • I think I'm in F, so up a minor third. Or down a minor sixth, whichever you prefer :) but my guitar I used for this one is tuned F-F so I was playing in E shapes... Gets confusing after a while
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I think I'm in F, so up a minor third. Or down a minor sixth, whichever you prefer :) but my guitar I used for this one is tuned F-F so I was playing in E shapes... Gets confusing after a while
    I ended up going down to B which still made the high notes rather high!  (well for me).  Luckily using a 7 string meant I didn't have to think about it too much ha ha ...

What, who you calling lazy?  Why I oughta ....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    edited August 2018
    So because Mr Poopot asked and because I do quite like sharing what I and everybody else used to get to their end result, I thought I'd list the key things I used to get to my dreary racket of a cover.

I used Cubase, I struggle to learn anything else to be honest, and all my plugins work now I've got JBridge

The random note synth is a free VST, called NES 2.1 VST. Emulator of old Nintendo noises, on the default square preset. Stereo ping pong delay added for "harmony". I input the rhythm of the drums at the beginning of the Tiffany version on the same note then just dragged each one around up and down to randomise

The electro drums are another free vst, DSK Mini Drumz, on the Boss DR55 setting. Distorted by another free vst, Camel Crusher.

The "Stranger Things" arpeggios are another free VST (noticing a pattern here), MiniMogueVA which I suspect is a Mini Moog sim. Simsynth preset, sounds a LOT like the Stranger Things intro music which I do like a lot.

Normal drums are from Drum Lab (Native Instruments, that is a bought one). Electric piano is also a Native Instruments one, Scarbee A-200. Both lovely VSTs which make it very tempting to buy the full Kontakt selection that is currently on offer! MUST RESIST

Guitar parts are played on my reso glass Airline copy, on the bridge pickup, through a Digitech GSP1101. Both rhythm parts and the solo are on the Hiwatt model, through a Deluxe Reverb cab IR, with a bit of Cubase proprietary reverb added. Oh and double tracked with slight delay. Rhythm uses a Tube Screamer model before the amp, Solo used an octavia, and I used a Whammy V before it as well. I KNOW MY RHYTHM AND TIMING IS TERRIBLE I'm a piano player originally, forgive me, it's allowed when playing Chopin...

Vocals were my shitty sore throat through a TC Helicon Voicelive on a Led Zep Kashmir preset.

On the Master there is compression, a free Neve sim VST called SmackLabs 84 or something like that, then I added a vinyl simulating VST (free) called Izotope Vinyl to add a bit of background noise.

Yes I'm a cheapskate, my throat cannot sing reliably and my timing is annoyingly dismal, but I had fun doing this one.

• enjoenjo Frets: 278
    edited August 2018
    Interesting & educational things

This is really helpful & a great idea - thanks. 

For me it was a Focusrite Scarlet solo interface with a (really cheap) Neewer NW-700 condenser mic for the Acoustic - my Larrivee OM-03 Hog. The bass was a Squier VM Jazz bass DI to the interface. Lead guitar was my DIY tele through a Katana 50 again DI to the interface. Drums were the MT power kit as a VST using an AKAI LPD8. My DAW was Tracktion 6.
    In terms of the mix there is just a bit of reverb and condensing but I don't really know how to use the latter properly yet!

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Loved it @thecolourbox , you should have submitted to Spielberg (ready player one)
    “Ken sent me.”