les paul junior/ gsp basses

What's Hot
Hi
Several years ago I bought a gsp basses junior body. I've just painted it and its taken me years to get this far and to be honest I'm just not sure where I've ended up! I've had about three goes at doing a tv yellow finish which have ranged from hi-viz green to tv orange...So, I decided to do it lake placid/pelham blue. Being me, I couldnt just leave it alone so I decided to age it...then I decided to make it look like an aged LPB refin over TV yellow...
So, the massive question that I flip fop around is, does it look any good or is it complete trash and should I strip it and start again?
I wondered if you guys might kindly give your views? Does it look shite? Be honest.
Cheers
Will

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Oh for goodness sake, I'm always doing that....now with pics...

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Pictures not showing for me? It'll certainly be worth the effort in the end. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Not shite.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but it looks to be a good job. Some carefully relic'd hardware could make it an absolute corker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I think it’s got something going for it.  Would look better with less tint, more evenly applied.  

give it some aged hardware and a dark tort plate and it will look great.

Ah I can see pictures now. Punk Rock man! Needs stickers:)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Looks great!... nice work.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Just needs RAF roundels and call her Spitfire

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Personally I'd start again and with a white undercoat. Or just solid off white with a tort or black gaurd
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Personally I'd start again and with a white undercoat. Or just solid off white with a tort or black gaurd
    That option will still be available at any later stage.   Doesn't mean it can't be put together as it is so it can be played and enjoyed for a while
    edited July 2018
    Just needs RAF roundels and call her Spitfire

Like this idea! Maybe do it more Mustang than Spitfire bearing in mind the Gibson design inspiration? Bullet holes and pinup girl graphics. Sorry, I lack taste and sophistication ha:)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    Like it. I would probably take more finished off the back of the neck, back to the wood in the main playing area, but that's just me.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    There's a hell of a lot of work gone in to it so I'd definitely bung some aged hardware on and then decide.  Look good to me.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Thanks chaps, much appreciated. @WezV has hit the nail for me. The tinting is overdone and hugely uneven. I just cant seem to get the tinting  to spray on evenly. There must be a knack to it but I'm buggered if I can find it.
    I see what you mean about the spitfire/mustang camo thing. The weird thing is that in the flesh it doesnt look like it does on the pics. The tint sort of blends a bit more and adds more of a sheen than a separate colour.
    I will get the wet and dry out again tomorrow and see if I can tone done the tint a bit. Or maybe take all the blue off and do a very,very worn tv yellow. By this time tomorrow it'll robably back to bare wood!:)
    I'm not even convinced about actually fitting it out but I guess I should really
    cheers all
    Will
    I used Faber bridge on mine from Amber Guitars. Oilcity P90 pickup. Both highly recommended. Amber Guitars supply some nice Klusons too which just look right. I made my own scratchplate because GSPBASSES necks join a little bit further in than Gibson. Consequently Gibson spec plates sit a bit too far forward. They look ok but not quite right. I spent ages getting a template just right. (That's it in my avatar) If you decide to make your own pm me and I'll happily send you a paper template out. Looking forward to seeing this finished:)
    sawyer said:
     If you decide to make your own pm me and I'll happily send you a paper template out. Looking forward to seeing this finished:)
    Many thanks chap. Will give you a shout when Ive made my mind up. cheers.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    To me, good relicing gives the impression the guitar has seen a bit of the world; has a few stories to tell. That guitar looks like it has some stories, so I'd call the relicing a success. I'll echo the comments above, aged hardware and enjoy.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • FWIW, I think that looks quite good as it is (but you've probably changed it by now!)
    I like TV yellow so personally I'd prefer it just yellow, but what you've done looks pretty convincingly like an old worn blue refin - and even if it doesn't, it's a pleasing effect in itself.