UPDATE! -. My first guitar had come up for sale...

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 1687
edited July 10 in Guitar
So I think I've spotted my very first guitar for sale.  I think I sold it back in 1990 and I'm 99% sure it's the one I owned.  A sentimental part of me is dying to get it back, but I know there was a reason to get rid of it in the first place. It's being sold for a LOT more than I sold it for all those years ago. But but but.. 

So head or heart decision time.

Anyone else bought back their very first guitar?

UPDATE!  I won the auction, actually I was the only bidder.  Can't wait to get it but now im a bit nervous that it might not be "mine " even though further details from the seller suggest it is. Sentimental old sod I am.

The guitar is a turquois Karwai Aquarius with 3 humbuckers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 1128
    Sorry no. I never sold mine and will never. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 3401

Yeah...I've re-acquired many guitars/amps for a second (and third time).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 1914

Mine is in pieces. I have the body and neck. A friend has the trem and the electronics (but they are shit so he's welcome to them).

I stripped the body meaning to repaint and put it back together with new hardware, but never have.

I'd never sell it, but no one would ever give me anything for it.

My first decent guitar I still miss and would consider buying back.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9577
    grungebob said:
    Sorry no. I never sold mine and will never. 
    Same. Though mine gets its 5th (4th? 6th?) neck in a few weeks' time...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3053
    edited July 4
    Do it, avoid what if.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4224
    I think I would:
    1988 Gordon Smith GSII, double cut, satin cherry red fitted with a Kahler flyer tremolo, locking nut fitted to the headstock before the brass nut and Schaller vintage tuners.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 7460
    Every day I check the eBay using my "Antoria" saved search - I've been looking for my old Goldtop to come up for sale for about 15 years on there. Still no sign. When/if it does... I'll have it back, money no object.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9577
    impmann said:
    Every day I check the eBay using my "Antoria" saved search - I've been looking for my old Goldtop to come up for sale for about 15 years on there. Still no sign. When/if it does... I'll have it back, money no object.
    I have similar for an old SG, though I only check once a month or so.  I’m not even sure I’d buy it back, but I’d like the option!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1046
    What is the guitar?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 5312
    Nostalgia ain't all its cracked up to be. I wouldn't bother myself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 1687
    LuttiS said:
    What is the guitar?
    Good question. And one I'm not going to answer! It's not something particularly desirable though.

Much like @impmann I've kept half an eye out for it for many years. I think now it's turned up I'll kick myself if I don't try and get it back so I'm going to give it a go...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 443
    I still have my first guitar, will never sell it.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 1957
    The action on my first guitar was so high that I could fit my hand under the strings. I'd have it back just to see what its like now I'm an adult.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 463
    My first guitar was a Hondo strat copy, and I have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. However, my first proper amp (a JCM 900) I sold, and would do anything to get it back.

Adam
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 1687
    DefaultM said:
    The action on my first guitar was so high that I could fit my hand under the strings. I'd have it back just to see what its like now I'm an adult.
    This is another reason to get it back. I was at school when I had it and never got to play it through a proper amp.  All it was subjected to was a terrible SS practice amp and a Columbus distortion pedal.  
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 271
    edited July 4
    My first proper guitar was a 1997 crimsonburst Fender US Standard Strat. I promised i'd never sell it so I still have it.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 4368
    impmann said:

It's almost certainly in @HarrySeven 's shed.
    CEO ACME Moats Inc.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 17352
    Not first guitar but I did buy one back after five years when the guy I sold it to decided he didn't want it any more. I wished I'd never sold it.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9159

No. My first electric was shite and so was my first acoustic.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 587
    Well, my first guitar was a Marlin Sidewinder, so......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 7460
    Paul_C said:
    impmann said:

It's almost certainly in @HarrySeven 's shed.
    I'm pretty sure it isn't... is it, H7?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 340
    Good grief NO!!!

An 80s Kay P bass copy that was overpriced, totally unplayable and about as interesting as a tax return spreadsheet.

Thirty years gone and still not far enough away. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 93
    My first guitar was a Squier Strat which came with an absolutely hideous 10W practice amp. I never once changed the strings unless it broke and even then I begged/stole from friends and other musicians. I eventually sold it to a local lad for £50 (which was a total rip off really!) It was a total piece of shit and I hated it.

My second guitar was a 1994 Gibson Explorer. I still have it and won’t be parting with it ever. I consider it my first proper guitar.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 568
    NelsonP said:
    Well, my first guitar was a Marlin Sidewinder, so......
    Mine was a Slammer. No regrets. I’ve had probably 20 guitars through my hands in the last few years. No regrets.

I don’t know what makes a real keeper, my PRS Modern Eagle Quatro feeling close and my ‘74 SG only because it was given to me in good faith.  That, funnily enough, is the first guitar I ever played a real gig with, so holds some nostalgic value. 
    My band, No Soap No Radio.

Trading feedback info here
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 878
    still got my Westone Thunder 1  my WEM Dominator mk111 and my 1984 ts9. It was all kept together in the cellar of my ex Girlfriends Parents house. Years after splitting up my brother met her and she mentioned she still had it so he got all back for me .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 79
    I've sold a couple of guitars in the past and bought them back later.
    The main outcome was to remind me why I sold them in the first place!
    All evenually sold on again, and pretty quickly.
    My first guitar was a generic squire strat.. which I quickly changed for a vintage vj6.. I loved it but the floating bridge gave me nothing but trouble so I traded it in for a guitar I've had for over a decade..

Few months that ago my VJ6 came up on eBay for £75.. I regret not getting it... 
    LuttiS said:
    What is the guitar?
    Good question. And one I'm not going to answer! It's not something particularly desirable though.

Much like @impmann I've kept half an eye out for it for many years. I think now it's turned up I'll kick myself if I don't try and get it back so I'm going to give it a go...
    Erm.. don't you mean , "Good Question, the guitar was a XXXXXX. Not particularly desirable but I liked it" 

(Fill in the X's)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4800
    edited July 4

I've still got my first good guitar, although it's in a poor state.  I wouldn't be able to recognise my very first guitar - a cheapo LP copy - if it ever appeared, it didn't have a serial number or any distinguishing marks.

I've seen several of my old guitars appear on eBay over the years and I've been quite tempted to buy some of them back - especially my old Hamer Vector. 

The only one I actually did buy back was a PRS Standard 22, but I sold it again a few months later.

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 964
    Never date a girl twice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter