threading string through a tele.....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
What's yer rule of thumb for cutting strings to length for those tele posts where the strings go down those little holes  :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Two and a half post spacings past the intended post, down to two and a bit for the thinner strings.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited July 2018
    cut it 2 posts past the one you want to stick it in.   obviously you have to estimate the distance on the last 2

i.e. for the low E, cut at the D string post
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Run the string through the body and hold it to the tuner with tension on it. Lift the string at the 12th fret so you can extent your middle finger and just touch the fretboard.

That's my rule of thumb middle finger. Err on the side of a bit less at the high E side and a bit more at the low E side.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    If there is only one string tree, leave the d and g strings longer so they wind further down the post, increasing the break angle over the nut.

Some G&L guitars have posts which are like an inverted cone and push the string down to the ferrule, which is a neat feature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Some G&L guitars have posts which are like an inverted cone and push the string down to the ferrule, which is a neat feature.
    Some Levinson Blade guitars also had a height adjustable string guide.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.