see guitar › fall in love › buy guitar › love guitar › get bored with guitar › sell guitar › repeat

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    I have 1 which i will never sell and have bought and sold quite a few looking for the next keeper, they come, they go, eventually one will come along which will be the next keeper, we are up to 2 then, which leaves the 3rd space to keep looking for the next one. I hope eventually to have 3 guitars which are mine, which will never leave. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    steer said:
    I have a standard MIM  Fender Tele that I am most happy with out of my guitars. Despite the fact that I am perfectly happy with it, I still find myself looking at other teles wondering if they are "better" than mine, simply because they are more expensive, or made in a different country. 

Whilst I enjoy the thrill of the chase, sometime you should sit back and enjoy what you have got. 
    Wisdom - love the grear you're with is a great rule (one I ignore).

If when we are wandering through the post-Brexit/Trump global dustbowl we happen to come across ANY guitar, we would treasure it more than we can currently imagine.

Our constant chasing after more, "better" (read pricier) or just different gear is a nice luxury.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    I’ve slowly reduced my collection over the last couple of years and I’m now down to 3; an early PRS Std, a Chinese Burny 335 and a fat necked SG from a precision guitars kit.  All great guitars and all different (although the PRS is probably worth 10 times the other 2!)

I’ve still got 2 to sell but when they’ve gone I can’t see me buying anything new for a long time.  Same with amps - I’m down to one great amp and a good pedalboard and I’ve got everything I need when I decide to start gigging again 
  • I'm in a weird situation- I have two "keepers": my Partscaster Esquire and Tele deluxe. They do everything I'll ever need, but...

I got a £600 bonus in April (that's £600 left after bills & MrsLostSon commandeered enough for a holiday etc). So I HAVE cash, but no real need/desire for another guitar! In the past I've scrimped & saved to get my next purchase, but now Im not feeling the GAS urge. 

I'm tempted by a Strat or LP Jr but haven't seen one I want. 
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I'm in a weird situation- I have two "keepers": my Partscaster Esquire and Tele deluxe. They do everything I'll ever need, but...

I got a £600 bonus in April (that's £600 left after bills & MrsLostSon commandeered enough for a holiday etc). So I HAVE cash, but no real need/desire for another guitar! In the past I've scrimped & saved to get my next purchase, but now Im not feeling the GAS urge. 

I'm tempted by a Strat or LP Jr but haven't seen one I want. 
    I'm also tempted by that new 2018 Ltd Edition Les Paul Junior, if that's on your radar at all.....
  • martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
    I bought my first serious guitar 33 years ago after struggling with shitty learner/ student guitars .
    I blew my entire life savings on a second hand Ovation Baladeer which was in dire need of a refret , It was the guitar Cat Stevens , Paul Simon and Ritchie Sambora were playing at the time and it made me feel like a proper guitarist .
    I still have it today , it's still the guitar I judge all other acoustics on , and it just seems to sound better as it gets older ( unlike me ) 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited July 2018
    I bought a first year of Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Telecaster in 1989 - brand new. It truly was the perfect guitar, for me. Impending financial crisis in the mid 90s resulted in it being sold. Every now and again it turns up but I have been too slow every time. Come home number 40 - you are badly missed. 

Nothing else has has ever stuck for very long but I am now building guitars and trying to work towards something perfect! 
  • I think the only one I will never sell is the one dad and I built - a Les Paul 59-style from a Precision kit. I remember painting that thing together for hours, getting it sorted in his workshop. I'm not a sentimental person but that guitar I'm keeping.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    I’ve learned to embrace the cycle. So much easier than fighting it. 

I love playing all my guitars, but also enjoy the research part and the “chase” of finding a new one. So inevitably there is some turnover as space and funds are limited.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    struggle with the last part of the process. Wish I didn't
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I'd really like to buy more guitars and am always scanning the ads here but in truth I don't need anything as what I have covers all bases.

It's a horrible quandary to be in for somebody who likes buying stuff.  :s
  • martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
    I think the process slows down when you come to realise the cold hard truth that buying a new guitar does not actually make you a better guitarist , unfortunately only practice and learning improves your playing abilities , and this is something that cannot be bought .

Theres not much that cannot be done on a bog standard P-Bass or a Strat /Les Paul.
    ( apologies for the double negative's ) 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    After many years I am finding guitars that are better suited to me, having said that most guitars I have are recent so I could be still be in the GAS delusion :)
    longest owned: es330 @ 7yrs
    newer: PRS Mira S2 @ 8months, Ray 35 @ 1yr, Duo Jet @ 1yr

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I've never been in this cycle. I've had three electric guitars in the past 30 years, and I still own two of them.* That was partly money reasons -- for a long time, when I had a strong attraction to a new guitar, I couldn't buy it -- and now that I can afford the guitars I want, I have a deal with my wife that I don't get to buy any more until I lose X kg of weight.**

But, mostly, I've always just been happy with what I have. I've never been prone to GAS for either guitars or amps. I have one amp (and a THR) and I've had that one amp since I was a teenager.

I have stupid amounts of sheet music and instructional material, though. Which is where the magical thinking lies. If I just buy/read this book, or practice this thing, I'll be the guitar player of my dreams.

* Admittedly, I'd quite like to get rid of one of those, and get something else.
    ** although if/when that happens, all bets are off, and I'll be buying the guitar of my dreams.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I honestly think that I am easily influenced. 

If i came off facebook and here i err I don’t think I’d ever change guitars. 

What im saying is it’s your fault.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited July 2018
    I’ve come to the conclusion that whilst I like buying good guitars with the intention of not selling them. None of them are safe from sale. 
    There’s a lot of great guitars out there and moving them on so someone else can enjoy them makes sense.
    I have 6 guitars at the moment and I view that as six rotational slots for the inventory. I don’t even need that really. 4 will do it, every time I get the itch I can just sell one and then procure something else. If I need something different I probably won’t need it immediately so I don’t need to stock something just in case
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    nope... does not compute
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I've sold way too many. But the crux is that they just weren't right in some way or another. I go through a proces where I learn what I like and dislike about guitars and sell them to buy a guitar that works for me. It's become an increasingly expensive business doing that, but I'm finally at a place where I can tell what I like and don't like in terms of spec.

Yes, going and taking the piss at guitar shops would have saved a few pennies but I cannot for the life of me put up with the shit I get when I ask to play guitars or try a few out. I also think that it's better to get them back home for a while before passing judgment.

I recently purchased a Custom Shop Strat which is the culmination of a good 5 years of learning what I like and dislike about Strats...this one is to me, a keeper, because it ticks ALL the boxes I had on my Strat wishlist after trying a few and selling a couple on. I wrote a few thoughts on this in my blog (see sig).

After selling a few in the last 3-4 years, I've learned that I'm pretty much a Strat and Les Paul guy and that's enough for me - I buy into that theory too - between those two, you can tick off mostly everything. I'm perhaps being a bit over-indulgent by keeping my Tele and waiting for my Floyd Rose equipped beast to arrive.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    poopot said:
    Yep... Oly white strat on the right I’ve had from new since ‘89 and the blue one in the middle for over 20years and is my main gigging guitar... it’s been refinished once and refretted twice... it get the living sh1t played out of it...

That's a lovely Strat collection Mr Pot.