Car washing - why no suds?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5616

Why can I often not get any suds when washing my car?  I use the car shampoo as directed but the foam never happens (even if I put two or three times the amount of stuff in it still doesn't get soapy) and all I ever get is a whispy bit of white stuff floating on the surface of the water in the bucket.  Washing the car is then really frustrating and I end up using most of the bucket before I've finished half the car.

I've tried different buckets, sponges, car shampoos etc but nothing seems to make a difference.

And then about every one in ten washes I do exactly what I've done before and, low and behold, more suds than a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

I know hard water can be a factor but where I live the water quality is very good.

Just wondered if there's a definitive scientific reason.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Do you put the shampoo in the bucket then run the water in? For me that guarantees I get a big load of foam.

I have a stash of Power maxed car shampoo sachets, that were being given out at various motor sport events I've been to, that stuff's brilliant. 
  • If you've got your jet wash out, give it a whizz in the bucket! 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Do you put the shampoo in the bucket then run the water in? For me that guarantees I get a big load of foam.

I have a stash of Power maxed car shampoo sachets, that were being given out at various motor sport events I've been to, that stuff's brilliant. 

Nope, I get lots of foam while the water is running but it quickly fizzles to nothing when the incoming water is turned off.  Just don't get it.
    If you've got your jet wash out, give it a whizz in the bucket! 

Even that doesn't work bud, much the same as above.

• Bubbles don't mean much - so long as it cleans the car, I wouldn't worry 

I use a cheap Tesco shampoo and it bubbles loads, but also dries horrible. I used to use autoglym stuff which was nicer, but now I drive an Aygo and it's not really a car that screams out for detailing :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Why are you washing your own car? There are Romanians who will do that for you at significantly below minimum wage.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Fuengi said:
    Why are you washing your own car? There are Romanians who will do that for you at significantly below minimum wage.

Because generally they use washing up liquid that strips the top coat, a pressure washer at full blast to damage any bearings it can find and the same dirty sponge full of grit off 30 cars to scratch your paint work? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Do you live in a hard water area?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited July 2018
    Fuengi said:
    The local Iraqis who run the car was use a power washer designed to clean concrete. My last car I used to take there often until I noticed they were blasting the paint off the bumpers. My current car is nice enough for me to look after it. 

Fretwired said:
    Do you live in a hard water area?
    No, water quality here is very good. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Are you using hot or cold water/
    duotone said:
    Are you using hot or cold water/
    Tried both, makes no difference. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2018
    Haych said:
    Not talking about quality. Is your water soft or hard (I'm not talking about ice either .. ;-) )

My water is hard hence no suds.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Had a similar issue with a class leading car shampoo (Bilt Hamber Auto Wash).

Tips:

Shampoo into bucket, warm water from tap 

Once near full, add a little bit of extra shampoo then stick your power washer into the water and spray until you get mega, mega suds.

Nice one for trying to get this right as the less friction there is, the better

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I tend to use the Autoglym 'Car Shampoo Conditioner'*. Water neither hard nor soft. Generally use hot water as it cuts through easier. Foams up okay.

Interestingly the Autoglym blurb for their Shampoo (not their Shampoo Conditioner) says "Rich foam quickly breaks down and removes everyday contaminants". As a result I'm led to believe the foam doesn't hang around, but if it disappears really quickly, it suggests there might be an issue with water quality. Or you're being stingy with the shampoo.

I have to admit the two capfuls instruction is a bit pointless if there's no cap to fill, and there's a flip lid instead, so I'm fairly liberal with adding the shampoo to the bucket of water.

* a different (better?) product than their 'Car Shampoo'.
    Fretwired said:
    Haych said:
    Not talking about quality. Is your water soft or hard (I'm not talking about ice either .. ;-) )

My water is hard hence no suds.
    No, it’s not hard. Sorry, my bad. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    the water is so Hard here - I am frightened to use it when on my own...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Also in this weather (you probs know already) dont wash it if the cars hot. The paints softer and easier to scratch, but also the shampoo and water will dry leaving water stains! 

I found megs stuff gave me a better lather than cheaper brands, but its not really an issue. How slippery it is is more important. 

Something like a mammoth wool mitt will help over a (God forbid it) a sponge... 

Proper snow foam with its own lance will really coat the car in suds, but its a pre wash treatment, to loosen off hard debris before the contact wash to help minimise scratching. 

Unless your detailing a detarred, deironed and clayed car thats been polished and waxed or sealed, I probably would bother with the hassle of it! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Has your bucket had any other chemicals or oils in it? 

Water hardness will affect the amount of duds but shouldn’t kill them altogether. Something is breaking the surface tension of the surfactants, my guess would be grease or oils. 

Try a new bucket and sponge 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    57Deluxe said:
    the water is so Hard here - I am frightened to use it when on my own...
    Ours is another step up the hardness scale - it’s about as hard as it can be in the U.K. 

If you leave a saucer of water out in the kitchen you get limescale on the windows.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    Has your bucket had any other chemicals or oils in it? 

Water hardness will affect the amount of duds but shouldn’t kill them altogether. Something is breaking the surface tension of the surfactants, my guess would be grease or oils. 

Try a new bucket and sponge 

Done all that, no real difference except as I said every one in ten washes will foam up lovely.  Very weird.
    skunkwerx said:
    What shampoo are you using? 

Also in this weather (you probs know already) dont wash it if the cars hot. The paints softer and easier to scratch, but also the shampoo and water will dry leaving water stains! 

I found megs stuff gave me a better lather than cheaper brands, but its not really an issue. How slippery it is is more important. 

Something like a mammoth wool mitt will help over a (God forbid it) a sponge... 

Proper snow foam with its own lance will really coat the car in suds, but its a pre wash treatment, to loosen off hard debris before the contact wash to help minimise scratching. 

Unless your detailing a detarred, deironed and clayed car thats been polished and waxed or sealed, I probably would bother with the hassle of it! 

I've tried loads of different shampoos from Autoglym to Turtlewax and everything in between.  I've just bought a new one, Demon something or other - will see if that works soon but I'm not holding my breath. 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Give meguairs stuff a go if you havent already, think they did a couple, gold class etc. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...