What makes a good melody?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5452
    sometimes I hear vocalists and a certain note stands out to me and it's nearly always a minor chord and the melody note is a 9th.  I don't know why, I just think that's such a sweet sounding interval.

I was reading the sheet music to Taylor Swift's 1989 albums and noticed the amount of one note melodies she uses.  The chords are moving while she's singing on a single note.  Her use of rhythm is so strong that it never sounds boring.  Just to note, other artists do this too, but I like Taylor Swift's music so that's why I'm using her as an example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 1071
    I can't hear sound on my PC right now but would deffo like to know what was said about writing melodies.

FWIW my take on the subject includes
    • repetition ie patterns that the ear can latch onto and recognise maybe in a different form
    • not so much repetition that it becomes boring
    • a modicum of twists and other unexpected things
    • not so many twists that it becomes random or avant-garde
    • melody fragments that work over a chord change rather than a statement-per-chord
    • harmonic movement (see what @Viz said)
    • if words are involved, then rhythmic patterns or rises and falls in pitch that go with the words

And also surprising timings...  Add a little double time or playing in-between beats rather than on the beats...

So basically... Try not to be boring  :)  Add musical surprises....

This is why I gave the examples of solo players.. In a solo I think to be good it cant just be scales and playing inside the boxes. You need to play outside the box literally and mentally. 

The problem with all of this is everyone has different taste.. So sometimes people can go so far outside the box (in my taste) that it becomes being different just to be different rather than it necessarily sounding good. Its my issue with Fusion Jazz type music.. Its so far outside the box that I can no longer follow any sense of a pattern and then it almost becomes a bunch of people playing random notes as there never seems to be any resolution to the music. I understand and see the skill involved in such music but I don't enjoy listening to it.

Something like this

I get the skill.. But theres so much going on that at the end I don't remember any of it..  Id rather have a catchy repetitive riff and some good lyrics to listen too :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 1071

A good friend of mine is currently getting a demo together..  He spent like ten years studying music at Uni...  When I hear his music I can always hear he has tried to make it as interesting as possible.

Heres one track

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5864
    edited July 31
    ...a good melody on the guitar is more often than not one or two things: Either a replication of the vocal or a triad of the root notes.

A solo has to have both of these at some point to make it relevant so probably be at the start then a reference midway culminating back down the scale in the original key.

Is strange how evident this is when studying other classic songs but bloody hard to build-in when thinking about it logically with a blank sheet in front of you!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>