SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: SX Wooden Dobro round neck resonator guitar with USA Beard cone, spider and saddle upgrade

simonroberts788simonroberts788 Frets: 8
edited July 2018 in Acoustics £
This guitar started life as an SX wooden Dobro resonator guitar manufactured in Korea. I upgraded the standard cone, spider and saddle with genuine best quality Beard replacements ordered from America. The guitar is an exact replica of a Dobro resonator guitar and the cone and spider fit absolutely perfectly making this an incredible sounding instrument. The guitar itself has a round mahogany neck and laminated maple body and sound well. It’s constructed in exactly the same way as the majority of wooden resonator guitars, be it Dobro, Beard, Goldtone, etc. Since I upgraded the cone and spider the guitar has been absolutely transformed. It now sounds typically huge with rich bass, powerful treble and tons of sustain from the super thin spun aluminium cone. The cone generates nearly all of the sound in resonator guitars while the body has less impact on the sound than on a normal acoustic guitar. I can send you a iPhone recording of me playing it if you’re interested. It’s currently set up for lap with a Grover nut riser which works brilliantly. Or you can simply remove the riser and play it in the normal way with a bottleneck or your fingers. The action with the riser is around 7 mm at the nut and it plays and feels just like a square neck. With the riser removed the guitar can be played comfortably with a slide or fingers, although the strings are very heavy as they are a 15-52 set designed for high bass G tuning by John Pearse. It’s in pretty good nick overall although there are some marks to the finish consistent with use. There are some scratches in the finish around the bass sound hole grille where someone may have been a bit over excited with metal picks. Also the finish on the back of the neck is a little bit faded and orange peely. It’s never bothered me though and I like clean guitars. I used to own a square neck Goldtone PBS which to me appears to be identical to this model - possibly made in the same factory - but I couldn’t confirm that. The headstock and body are certainly the same. Tone-wise I’d say they’re definitely on a par with the upgraded cone and spider. I never had the chance to AB them but I’ve been delighted with the SX since I upgraded the cone. The Goldtones with the Beard cone are available new for £825 at Project Music in Exeter. The guitar is currently in Cornwall but I can ship it insured and it’ll be well packed. It has a pretty solid gig bag. Any questions give me a shout.
£400

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gqqi7ulaxn6l6r/IMG_3538.JPG?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjz58931nqean3y/IMG_3543.JPG?raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lpwpfyw4vuj4nw/IMG_3539.JPG?raw=1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments