Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    impmann said:
    Gagaryn said:
    benecol said:
    Arr - standard collet, which I agree is fine until it goes wrong. When mine went south in my Jazzmaster, the metal-on-metal sound and friction used to cause all my fillings to jump out and rearrange themselves into other teeth.

As has been noted above, correctly pushed in, the Staytrem arm sits at the same height off the body (assuming no weird arm bends).
    has the staytrem collet changed in recent years? I always remember it riding a fair bit higher than my old MIJ unit and the avri. 
    I stopped using them once I got a CS. 
    http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/Content_page2

http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/JaguarJazzmaster_tremolo_arm_insertion
    An AVRI arm does sit lower, even with the Staytrem fully pushed home. You can see it in those pics
     You can see what I mean in this picture of a very famous Jazzmaster before Nels finally broke the trem and Woody fitted a Mastery... (although the arm has been rebent considerably... but look at the height of the collet relative to the 90 degree bend in the arm)

Remember the arm height varies dependent on tension on the spring - I haven't noticed any difference between height between Staytrem and CS. That said I bend the arms so that I can keep the arm in my hand when picking - the arm in that picture looks too high for that.

I'm going to explore this when I get home, pretty sure I still have a CS arm and collet in my spares box along with a staytrem arm and collet I have to go on the new JM I'm putting together. I googled images and they look similar sizes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9257
    impmann said:
    I take issue with a comment earlier about "virtually zero sustain".

If your Jaguar has virtually no sustain, then either 1) something is wrong with it or 2) its a shit one, 
    3. Switch the mute to off :)
    Sorry, not trying to be controversial or slag off Jags. Maybe I should have said that they are of course different to a tele or a strat which in my experience ring out for longer. I thought the kind of “plunk” from a Jag was just part of the character. If the ones I owned were shit, maybe I should try them again
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    chris78 said:
    impmann said:
    I take issue with a comment earlier about "virtually zero sustain".

If your Jaguar has virtually no sustain, then either 1) something is wrong with it or 2) its a shit one, 
    3. Switch the mute to off :)
    Sorry, not trying to be controversial or slag off Jags. Maybe I should have said that they are of course different to a tele or a strat which in my experience ring out for longer. I thought the kind of “plunk” from a Jag was just part of the character. If the ones I owned were shit, maybe I should try them again
    They vary. I had an avri that was nothing but plunky but Ive also had a Classic player that roared like a monster and my new CS model that literally sustains for days
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited July 2018
    https://www.wunjoguitars.com/product/jaguar-1964/

£7k!

I'll stick to my Johnny Marr jag thanks

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

edited July 2020
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    To be fair (though the price is still very high) a black jag with gold hardware if all original, is a pretty rare beast 
    edited July 2020
    It’s what Colour a jag should be anyway, at least in my head. Only guitars that look good with burst and tort guard are jags and Jazzmasters - that’s it. It’s their Colour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 617
    edited July 2018
    Here’s a nice player grade 64 Jag example for you

https://imgur.com/gallery/yQUIF
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Custom colour jags > sunburst
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    edited July 2018
    Custom colour jags > sunburst
    Agree!
    https://i.imgur.com/lwyqJtU.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    gringopig said:
    and there is the problem: super high prices for rare and potentially fake custom colours. A comment was made about the relative cheapness of a sunburst and how a custom colour premium might attract fakery. Looks like sunbursts can go from  3-4k ish which is more my price bracket.

3-4k really?
    Think i paid about £1800 for my 64 sunburst Jag about 3 years ago.
    edited July 2020
    I.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    JD50 said:
    These are based on US prices though, and there’s the rub. 
    edited July 2020
    Isn’t there something about over a certain age being exempt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom