Eric Johnson

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
At about 7.50 in the vid - is that just him improvising or an actual song he's done in the past?

If its a song he's done, is there an album with similar stuff?

I'm new to him. Listened to Cliffs of Dover, which is great, and I don't usually like all the dancing around the fretboard malarky. Youtubed him some more and was unimpressed until I came upon the clip below.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s “Song for George” from the album Ah Via Musicom (he usually plays it on acoustic)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Is there a studio electric version?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I'm only aware of the acoustic version from Ah Via Musicom. If I recall correctly it is in double drop D tuning.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Zoolooter said:

I'm new to him. Listened to Cliffs of Dover, which is great, and I don't usually like all the dancing around the fretboard malarky. Youtubed him some more and was unimpressed...

Eric Johnson is the most frustrating artist IMO. Cliffs of Dover floored my when I heard it back in the day and he became a huge influence. You can here him in so many other artists too. But his output is largely terrible. 

Do try Trademark though, nice track and gorgeous solo - I would post the video but it’s so cheesy it distracts from t(e music.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited August 2018
    This was my introduction to Eric Johnson. A very Jeff Beck like style. Impressive solo at 2'20".

I went off him when I learned about his preference for a particular brand of PP3 battery.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited August 2018
    Try in this order:
    Alien Love Child - has the best tunes, (boogie king could rock a bikers bar) great blues rock and Bad Ass tone.
    Ah via Musicom - is the most representative of his output, Desert Rose is IMO the best guitar playing he's ever done. East Wes is a nice tune to learn. 
    Venus Isle - has some brilliant solos (title track is as flawless as can be, epic)but vocal songs are schmaltzy.
    Tones - best "songs" and some nice guitaring too. 
    the stuff after this I never got into.
  • If you like Song for George, check out “Once upon a time in Texas” 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Two guitarists have always blown me away with their fingerboard dexterity....  Eric is one,  Albert is the other...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom