Gretsch Experts - NGD (Firebird)

IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Having not bought a new guitar for over a year but sold loads - I think the heat got to me at the weekend and I bought a Firebird.

Something about the red and black (that I’d hate on any other guitar) and the aged binding drew me in.

It’s going to have to be good to displace my Electromatic and SG classic with Bigsby but if it’s a good un it will. So 2 out and 1 in would be a good result in my ongoing clearance.

I took a punt as I’d read somewhere that JD serial No’s from the mid 2000’s have a bit more girth to the neck. Can any of our Gretsch experts confirm that?

The joys of buying unseen!

Still it was priced right and can be
moved on if necessary...
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
    Congratulations on the new Jet. Two have actually been named Firebird, although many red Jets have been called it. 

Since it’s not a 1959 DuoJet I guess it’s 6131T-TVP or a red DuoJet. The first is the PowerJet, an often malinged but amazing guitar for playing loud and live. It’s mostly a DuoJet but with the TV Jones Powertron pickups, a hotter and much more mid focused beast than regular Filtertrons. And it has locking tuners and pinned bridge.

The neck on either will be what it is and won’t conform to a year spec like most other makes would. Any Japanese Gretsch should feel pretty special (they are very fussy on a good set up mind) and make you a happy pup when it arrives. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Thanks. Mine’s the one with DynaSonics from 2005 a 6131 TDS.

It’s the same model as this:

https://reverb.com/ca/item/4215631-gretsch-6131-tds-jet-firebird-2004-red

Previously known as stevebrum