The Cheats Guide to getting a Rickenbacker Bass Sound on a Budget. Tips, Tricks ( Heated Debate).

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    yep ... the 51 P Bass pickup bobbin is 20mm wide at the top flatwork ... so piece of pudding to do!
    Please please please please please please.

pretty please?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    yep ... the 51 P Bass pickup bobbin is 20mm wide at the top flatwork ... so piece of pudding to do!

pretty please?
    I'll fire up the CAD design program and laser cutter early part of the week ... should be a fairly easy job as the 51 is in my flatwork database. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

pretty please?
    I'll fire up the CAD design program and laser cutter early part of the week ... should be a fairly easy job as the 51 is in my flatwork database. 
    Can I buy one to use in my 51 partscaster if it’s possible?
    tFB Trader
    Let me make it and try it on my own P Bass first ... I can do that pretty quickly lol :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Let me make it and try it on my own P Bass first ... I can do that pretty quickly lol :-)
    Ok - but if it even vaguely works I will throw money at you. Love the idea of a custom P that sounds a bit Ric in tone!!
    tFB Trader
    Ok - but if it even vaguely works I will throw money at you. Love the idea of a custom P that sounds a bit Ric in tone!!
    Oh it'll work ... it'll be at a slightly different harmonic position on the strings to a Rick ... but it'll work.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    If you're going the way of the partscaster or a Mod, this guy seems to have a few Rickie bass pickups on his webpage for a reasonable price

http://www.geminipickups.co.uk/bass_85.html
    http://www.geminipickups.co.uk/bass_pickups_86.html
    tFB Trader
    If you're going the way of the partscaster or a Mod, this guy seems to have a few Rickie bass pickups on his webpage for a reasonable price

Oooooo they look so much like the Rick originals the big bad 'Cease and Desist' man from Rickenbacker'll get him! Busted Jason (Lollar) for making direct replacements ... 

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491

Oooooo they look so much like the Rick originals the big bad 'Cease and Desist' man from Rickenbacker'll get him! Busted Jason (Lollar) for making direct replacements ... 
    Lawyers hitting Gemini Pickups in 5,4,3,2...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    earwighoney said:

Lawyers hitting Gemini Pickups in 5,4,3,2...
    I'm not sure they're close enough to be a problem, but I suspect the mention of the R-word might be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    ICBM said:
    mention of the R-word might be.
    RIC does not like others profiting by infringement of their trade marks.

Perhaps, just as Fullerton and Kalamazoo could be euphemisms for Fender and Gibson, Santa Ana could be used instead of the R word (and contractions thereof)?
    Be seeing you.
    Bah. I don’t want those! I want a @TheGuitarWeasel  special!!!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Be seeing you.
    Oh it'll work ... it'll be at a slightly different harmonic position on the strings to a Rick ... but it'll work.
    Stop teasing!
    edited July 2018
    @vale - look at what you have started now!! We have one of the most respected pickup winders there is making Ric bass-a-likes to try and answer this question once and for all..

You might just be a massive genius. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I used to love my Ric back in my bass days into a diamond compressor and sometimes fuzz.  Happy days and imo the coolest looking bass bar none.
    tFB Trader
    @vale - look at what you have started now!! We have one of the most respected pickup winders there is making Ric bass-a-likes to try and answer this question once and for all..

Furiously CAD designing away today :-)

My suspenders are killing me!! How'd it go @TheGuitarWeasel? Do you have a bona Ric-a-like pickup?
    tFB Trader

My suspenders are killing me!! How'd it go @TheGuitarWeasel? Do you have a bona Ric-a-like pickup?
    Designed the parts yesterday, cutting them on the laser today, winding tomorrow. Patience Grasshopper!

Designed the parts yesterday, cutting them on the laser today, winding tomorrow. Patience Grasshopper!
    I’m gonna struggle!!!