Using 2 wireless systems

John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Currently using. G30 between my guitar and Helix and thinking about getting a second wireless system to use between my Helix an the PA.  will latency become an issue of any quality concerns?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3126
    Can’t see a problem technically apart from the extra compression added by the second transmitter, and the more transmitters you have on stage the more the chance of a frequency clash and drop outs.It’s unlikely you’ll experience any real latency problems. I am questioning why though your just adding to more possible places for faults to occur .
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Couple of reasons.  Quicker setup and one less lead to trail over the stage.  Probably more trouble than it's worth though
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2390
    Would the G70 be a better option? Has 2 outputs instead of 1, although not sure of the physical location you're putting it in and your stage layout etc.

Just an option though.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FarleyUK said:
    Would the G70 be a better option? Has 2 outputs instead of 1, although not sure of the physical location you're putting it in and your stage layout etc.

Just an option though.
    Not really, I would need one receiver next to me and the other one in the rack with the desk in some way away.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited July 2018
    There was some debate on here the other day about at what point you can hear ( feel?) latency. Not sure what the answer is but around the 12 ms mark is apparently noticeable for some folk, definitely noticeable over 20ms ( according to something I read in SOS). So if you add the latency of two G30s together what do you get? 
    Quite a lot of cost and faff in doing this, as the cable from your board to the amp doesn't move and can be taped down it's not overcoming much of a problem ( or I assume it's not anyway). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    The latency adds up which then quickly becomes apparent the further you move away from the amp. I have the Sure GLX which is very good but I notice the latency when stood about 5 metres from amp....more so than just using a long cable. Adding other digital processing into the chain e.g. I also have an FX8 also becomes more noticeable. Moving back closer to amp and the latency issue goes away. In summary I find that wireless systems are fine but they compound the natural "sound wave" latency...as you would expect.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    exocet said:
    The latency adds up which then quickly becomes apparent the further you move away from the amp. I have the Sure GLX which is very good but I notice the latency when stood about 5 metres from amp....more so than just using a long cable. Adding other digital processing into the chain e.g. I also have an FX8 also becomes more noticeable. Moving back closer to amp and the latency issue goes away. In summary I find that wireless systems are fine but they compound the natural "sound wave" latency...as you would expect.
    Hadn't thought  about the Helix; Line 6 say it's sub 2ms latency plus about 1ms per loop ( not sure I understand why but it's their comment). The more you add up the closer you get to something noticeable. Found the figure on the G30 now: 4ms.

So G30 + Helix +  two loops + G30 = 12ms 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    exocet said:
    Hadn't thought  about the Helix; Line 6 say it's sub 2ms latency plus about 1ms per loop ( not sure I understand why but it's their comment). The more you add up the closer you get to something noticeable. Found the figure on the G30 now: 4ms.

So G30 + Helix +  two loops + G30 = 12ms 

The helix loops add latency due to D to A and A to D conversions required (pedals are analogue, helix signal path is digita).