Fender American Original - phwoar!

What's Hot
I spent my lunch hour today obliging the fine chaps at GuitarGuitar Camden to a run through of their strats (a potential trade with a classic 60's strat neccesitated trying out some 7.25" radius, vintage fret instruments that didn't come off so well)

I tried out the new EJ thinline and it was great - it sounded wonderful and was very resonant, it felt like there was more body to it - but the real stand out guitar was the American Original. Nitro white, looked the business and sounded great.

I'm sure there are equivalently appointed strats out there which aren't the £1600 asking price, but it sure did play nicel.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Wouldn't you just go for a used Custom Shop option at that money?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I were in the market for it, certainly - within the context of the guitars on the shelf (being all new CS or signature), it was a stand out player.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Get a second hand one ;)
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited July 2018
    Yes they are weighty, and I'm sure the CS guitars will be better off in the long run. @dindude funnily enough I really don't like the CS Fenders they have in Camden, IMO they look like ass apart from the ferrari red with gold anodised pickguard relic that went a few weeks ago...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I really liked the one I tried a while ago.  It wasn’t heavy and the neck was great.  The CS Strats I’ve tried in the past have all been pretty good, but I liked this at least as much and it was significantly cheaper.

I think in a way these new strats embody the production line vibe that Fender would have originally had.  Custom Shop guitars seem like expensive replicas of old guitars.  Not sure if I’ve explained that well, but I know what I mean!
    The neck was pretty chunky on the one I tried, but very nice.   I like the idea of a new box fresh Fender that will age with you.  CS don’t appeal in the same way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes they are weighty, and I'm sure the CS guitars will be better off in the long run. @dindude funnily enough I really don't like the CS Fenders they have in Camden, IMO they look like ass apart from the ferrari red with gold anodised pickguard relic that went a few weeks ago...
    The relics don’t even register in my brain, but there’s a Sonic Blue NOS that is tasty tasty!
  • My quandary is that my expensive LP is a league better than my cheaper LP; so I don't want to buy a cheap Fender if I'm just going to end up changing it in - but I don't know how I can justify a price on either the new American Original or a used CS! It just seems insane for what one gets. I guess a Partscaster is the way...
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Look through the Fender MIM range, it may surprise you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I have to say I was very keen to try the 50's strat, but left only minimally-whelmed. A bit heavy, finish was a bit sticky, and the neck was hugely bigger and less comfy than any actual vintage strat I've had my hands on :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I have to say I was very keen to try the 50's strat, but left only minimally-whelmed. A bit heavy, finish was a bit sticky, and the neck was hugely bigger and less comfy than any actual vintage strat I've had my hands on :(
    I own an Original 50's Strat (bought mail order) and agree the neck finsh initially felt sticky, really noticably so (its the first neck Ive ever noticed this issue with) a quick rub over with micrmesh sorted that,  to my ears the pickups were utter shite and got changed out on day two.....another two disappointments were, I can see the body wood join through the burst finish, they could have done this body solid colour and second there were three high frets......not good on a £1650 instrument, however the redeeming feature is the neck profile, which is Vee that transitions into a deep C at around the 5/7 frets, best neck Ive ever used.....oh and it's not heavy...

Am I happy with it? Yes!
    Would I do it again? No......
    I'd build a partscaster for half the money and a similar spec...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yes, one thing I noticed was that every maple necked Fender that GG had in stock felt as sticky as heck - they was really unenjoyable to play. I've had maple necked guitars in the past (my first 'real' guitar was an American strat with a maple neck) and so it was really confusing - why would they be left in a basically unplayable state?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    I'm about to list a mint ex-demo 2017 American Professional Strat if anyone is in the market #JustAHeadsUp
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Toying with selling my CS....

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @Hattigol ;
    What's the specs?
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Bought from @guitars4you about 4 years ago. Classic Player Strat. Some more pics attached. Totally stock and mint with case and cert. Beautiful birdseye neck. Noiseless pups. Anodised scratchplate.

Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    chris78 said:
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    Could be. It’s also all a bit dull. The Custom Shop still put out some good stuff but it’s a lot more faceless than when Mike Eldridge was at the helm, the La Cab for sale elsewhere has me thinking they should be doing something a bit fresher rather than the comfort zone they are currently in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom