Fender American Original - phwoar!

What's Hot
I spent my lunch hour today obliging the fine chaps at GuitarGuitar Camden to a run through of their strats (a potential trade with a classic 60's strat neccesitated trying out some 7.25" radius, vintage fret instruments that didn't come off so well)

I tried out the new EJ thinline and it was great - it sounded wonderful and was very resonant, it felt like there was more body to it - but the real stand out guitar was the American Original. Nitro white, looked the business and sounded great.

I'm sure there are equivalently appointed strats out there which aren't the £1600 asking price, but it sure did play nicel.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    Wouldn't you just go for a used Custom Shop option at that money?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • If I were in the market for it, certainly - within the context of the guitars on the shelf (being all new CS or signature), it was a stand out player.


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 394
    Get a second hand one ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 102
    edited July 10
    Yes they are weighty, and I'm sure the CS guitars will be better off in the long run. @dindude funnily enough I really don't like the CS Fenders they have in Camden, IMO they look like ass apart from the ferrari red with gold anodised pickguard relic that went a few weeks ago...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 2333

    I really liked the one I tried a while ago.  It wasn’t heavy and the neck was great.  The CS Strats I’ve tried in the past have all been pretty good, but I liked this at least as much and it was significantly cheaper.

    I think in a way these new strats embody the production line vibe that Fender would have originally had.  Custom Shop guitars seem like expensive replicas of old guitars.  Not sure if I’ve explained that well, but I know what I mean!
    The neck was pretty chunky on the one I tried, but very nice.   I like the idea of a new box fresh Fender that will age with you.  CS don’t appeal in the same way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    Yes they are weighty, and I'm sure the CS guitars will be better off in the long run. @dindude funnily enough I really don't like the CS Fenders they have in Camden, IMO they look like ass apart from the ferrari red with gold anodised pickguard relic that went a few weeks ago...
    The relics don’t even register in my brain, but there’s a Sonic Blue NOS that is tasty tasty!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • My quandary is that my expensive LP is a league better than my cheaper LP; so I don't want to buy a cheap Fender if I'm just going to end up changing it in - but I don't know how I can justify a price on either the new American Original or a used CS! It just seems insane for what one gets. I guess a Partscaster is the way...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 2346
    Look through the Fender MIM range, it may surprise you.


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9584
    I have to say I was very keen to try the 50's strat, but left only minimally-whelmed. A bit heavy, finish was a bit sticky, and the neck was hugely bigger and less comfy than any actual vintage strat I've had my hands on :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1185
    I have to say I was very keen to try the 50's strat, but left only minimally-whelmed. A bit heavy, finish was a bit sticky, and the neck was hugely bigger and less comfy than any actual vintage strat I've had my hands on :(
    I own an Original 50's Strat (bought mail order) and agree the neck finsh initially felt sticky, really noticably so (its the first neck Ive ever noticed this issue with) a quick rub over with micrmesh sorted that,  to my ears the pickups were utter shite and got changed out on day two.....another two disappointments were, I can see the body wood join through the burst finish, they could have done this body solid colour and second there were three high frets......not good on a £1650 instrument, however the redeeming feature is the neck profile, which is Vee that transitions into a deep C at around the 5/7 frets, best neck Ive ever used.....oh and it's not heavy...

    Am I happy with it? Yes!
    Would I do it again? No......
    I'd build a partscaster for half the money and a similar spec...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Yes, one thing I noticed was that every maple necked Fender that GG had in stock felt as sticky as heck - they was really unenjoyable to play. I've had maple necked guitars in the past (my first 'real' guitar was an American strat with a maple neck) and so it was really confusing - why would they be left in a basically unplayable state?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1087
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AnchorboyAnchorboy Frets: 117
    I'm about to list a mint ex-demo 2017 American Professional Strat if anyone is in the market #JustAHeadsUp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    Toying with selling my CS....


    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AnchorboyAnchorboy Frets: 117
    @Hattigol ;
    What's the specs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    Bought from @guitars4you about 4 years ago. Classic Player Strat. Some more pics attached. Totally stock and mint with case and cert. Beautiful birdseye neck. Noiseless pups. Anodised scratchplate.





    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 256
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

    Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    chris78 said:
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

    Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    Could be. It’s also all a bit dull. The Custom Shop still put out some good stuff but it’s a lot more faceless than when Mike Eldridge was at the helm, the La Cab for sale elsewhere has me thinking they should be doing something a bit fresher rather than the comfort zone they are currently in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    edited July 16
    dindude said:
    Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
    Mine's just under 8lb - and it's for sale.

    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135811/fs-fender-custom-shop-strat-price-drop-to-1-700#latest
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    Hattigol said:
    dindude said:
    Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
    Mine's just under 8lb - and it's for sale.

    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135811/fsProbaby -fender-custom-shop-strat-price-drop-to-1-700#latest
    Probably time to stop bombing this thread with your for sale pitch...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    edited July 16
    dindude said:8
    Hattigol said:
    dindude said:
    Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
    Mine's just under 8lb - and it's for sale.

    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135811/fsProbaby -fender-custom-shop-strat-price-drop-to-1-700#latest
    Probably time to stop bombing this thread with your for sale pitch...
    Bombing? With one reference to it?
    Wouldn't like to be your cat on a Monday morning...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5555
    Hattigol said:
    dindude said:8
    Hattigol said:
    dindude said:
    Octafish said:
    dindude said:
    I tried a few NOS CS Strats in the Camden store last weekend that I was rather taken with. Hhhmmm, I wonder if these are a contender at £1k less, didn’t even think to try. There are reports of them (American Original) being rather weighty, so would need to be selective.
    What's it with Fenders and weight recently? I tried an American Pro earlier in the year that weighed a ton and I've heard others have the same experience. The guitar itself was pretty uninspiring, but even without that it's weight (late 70's Fender territory) was enough to instantly put me off.
    I agree, it’s getting harder to find even a Custom Shop under 8lbs these days, anything below 7.5lbs is reserved for a Master Built it seems.
    Mine's just under 8lb - and it's for sale.

    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135811/fsProbaby -fender-custom-shop-strat-price-drop-to-1-700#latest
    Probably time to stop bombing this thread with your for sale pitch...
    Bombing? With one reference to it?
    Wouldn't like to be your cat on a Monday morning...

    I spot three references, wouldn't like to be your accountant....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    Hope you find something else to occupy your time soon, buddy. 
    Have a good day :-)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 969
    dindude said:
    chris78 said:
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

    Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    Could be. It’s also all a bit dull. The Custom Shop still put out some good stuff but it’s a lot more faceless than when Mike Eldridge was at the helm, the La Cab for sale elsewhere has me thinking they should be doing something a bit fresher rather than the comfort zone they are currently in. 
    I see ex Masterbuilder Chris Fleming is the new guy in charge of the Custom Shop. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 25
    The lust for a CS? 

    I don't know either. Stil if it feels right the price is irrelevantt to me
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 256
    Strat54 said:
    dindude said:
    chris78 said:
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

    Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    Could be. It’s also all a bit dull. The Custom Shop still put out some good stuff but it’s a lot more faceless than when Mike Eldridge was at the helm, the La Cab for sale elsewhere has me thinking they should be doing something a bit fresher rather than the comfort zone they are currently in. 
    I see ex Masterbuilder Chris Fleming is the new guy in charge of the Custom Shop. 
    Superb builder and the man also responsible for the brilliant American vintage range. Can’t be bad news
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 256
    Strat54 said:
    dindude said:
    chris78 said:
    I wonder if Fender have just tipped from an absolute golden era to a quality that’s stepped down a bit. I’m talking late 60s vs early 60s as a comparison. In my view, the custom shop are outstanding and I can’t remember the last time I played a lousy cs guitar (not the case 10 years ago). For regular production though, the American vintage from 2012 was Fender at its absolute best. Lightweight, brilliantly built, tonnes of r&d etc. Pick up a 64 tele or a 65 strat and they are easily amongst the best guitars Fender have ever made.
    Likewise in Mexico, consistent, high quality. I’m now seeing reports of poorly dressed frets, sharp edges and weights going off the scale. 

    Might be rubbish, but I’ve got a feeling that they’re not quite what they were a couple of years back.
    Could be. It’s also all a bit dull. The Custom Shop still put out some good stuff but it’s a lot more faceless than when Mike Eldridge was at the helm, the La Cab for sale elsewhere has me thinking they should be doing something a bit fresher rather than the comfort zone they are currently in. 
    I see ex Masterbuilder Chris Fleming is the new guy in charge of the Custom Shop. 
    Superb builder and the man also responsible for the brilliant American vintage range. Can’t be bad news
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.