I've got an audition! And a Kemper....

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
Long story short, didn't think I would be playing live for a while, so I sold my HRD. Went for quite a while with no amp (not really playing guitar), but then decided to take the plunge and bought a Kemper - brilliant for home use, and is way beyond what I need. Good so far. Now it transpires that I have an audition for a soul band next week, and I'm going to need to take the Kemper. Because I have a tiny brain, i've completely ignored how to use the Kemper in a live environment.

It's going to be it's first "live" outing, and i've got no clue how to get it set up and sounding good. Is anyone able to offer me any advice? I promise i'll listen first time and won't need things repeating.

Thanks!
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited July 2018
    Starting point mate...

1.) Get the manuals

2.) Watch the Kemper tutorial videos on YT

And a few of us on here will help out

https://www.kemper-amps.com/video
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Cheers @Wazmeister

I'm mainly wondering, as it's just a rehearsal room, if I should go directly through the PA as it's not about backline/monitoring.....
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Ah, cant help you there mate, as I always go through a cab 
    Yeah I’ve got an unpowered one....
  • Hmmmm, can only suggest to try it. It'll be weird only hearing yourself through the PA, but worth a try, at least! I prefer a bit of a backline, tbh, whether it be a cab or FRFR. Anything specific you're concerned about or need help with?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Thanks @Jonathanthomas83 ;

I guess there will be monitors there as part of the PA set up - it’s going to be a quiet ish audition, so as long as I get the amp profile I like, go into PA, tinker as required, job done...?
  • PC_Dave said:

I guess there will be monitors there as part of the PA set up - it’s going to be a quiet ish audition, so as long as I get the amp profile I like, go into PA, tinker as required, job done...?
    It will definitely work, whether or not it inspires you is something you'll quickly find out. There's a lot to be said for using a complete profile (amp and cab) rather than chopping and changing cabs, you should be fine, I reckon! Defo get a monitor nearby, if you can! :-) Good luck with it, and again, any questions let us know!

PC_Dave said:

It will definitely work, whether or not it inspires you is something you'll quickly find out. There's a lot to be said for using a complete profile (amp and cab) rather than chopping and changing cabs, you should be fine, I reckon! Defo get a monitor nearby, if you can! :-) Good luck with it, and again, any questions let us know!
    It's all pretty straightforward stuff, so it's not so much about inspiring me so much, more just seeing if I get the gig. If i do then i'll invest in something more usable :)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited July 2018
    PC_Dave said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Thanks @Jonathanthomas83 ;;

It's all pretty straightforward stuff, so it's not so much about inspiring me so much, more just seeing if I get the gig. If i do then i'll invest in something more usable
    Good plan and good luck with it, mate! :-) Let us know how you get on!

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118

I'd say choose a couple of profiles you really like and sprinkle FX to taste.

Straight into the PA with mixing desk set flat (maybe a slight mid boost to cut through) I found the kemper output was really hot so set that appropriately.

The most useful control using full profiles of amp and cab with a PA was a careful tweak of the High Cut filter - taking out some of the harsh high end (had my high cut around 10K Hz when I used kemper direct and do now with an AXE FX)

Smile and play your arse off - good luck

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    An untried, super-versatile digital modeller into an unknown PA to audition for a band you actually want to join? The answer's simple and obvious.

Buy an HRD. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    I used a DXR10 with my last band situation (from audition to rehearsals) - going through the desk will be fine - just make sure you've read up on the outputs on the Kemper so you can get the volumes set well.

Good luck! :)
    Hmmmm, the wisdom is strong with the Dave's of this parish.

Thanks @David5150 and @PVO_Dave !! Input greatly appreciated!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    The other thing to consider is the volume differences between profiles, if you are planning on using multiple profiles or even switch mid song.

I tried to do it at home with a zoom recorder reading the db output and tweaking appropriately - wasn't perfect but a good start!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Audition Priorities:
    1. Can you work with each other?
    2. Does your playing style fit?
    Equipment doesn’t feature on the list.

Take the Kemper. Tell them you’ve done so because it’s easy to carry, if they are happy with it then the stage volume can be kept down, and if not then you can easily get a traditional combo.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    PVO_Dave said:
    The other thing to consider is the volume differences between profiles, if you are planning on using multiple profiles or even switch mid song.

I tried to do it at home with a zoom recorder reading the db output and tweaking appropriately - wasn't perfect but a good start!
    That's a good shout - to be fair it's only 6 tunes and they're all quite clean so i'll probably just use the same profile.
    Roland said:
    Audition Priorities:

Take the Kemper. Tell them you’ve done so because it’s easy to carry, if they are happy with it then the stage volume can be kept down, and if not then you can easily get a traditional combo.
    Agreed - I reckon as long as I can rock up and sound like a guitarist then i'm golden.

There's a horn section in the full band, so a PA will be used at every gig - I reckon the Kemper and some decent monitoring will actually benefit me more than an amp in this case.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

keep it simple, use a single profile and don't spend the whole audition tinkering :)

you're showing off your guitar ability and how your personality will fit with the band dynamic, not how well you can pick out nuances in your tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Roland said:
    Audition Priorities:

It does if you're sweating away, scrolling through menus in a panic, wondering why you're either deafening or inaudible or you're suddenly cutting the singer's head off with inexplicable treble. 

The Kemper is doubtless perfect for the band long term, but translating a couple of perfectly ok home-tweaked patches to gig volume through an unknown PA can be very risky in a stress situation, when the player needs to be on top of their game in terms of watching and listening to everyone else in the room. 

I mean good luck and everything, it might just work perfectly, but don't be at all surprised if it sounds and feels very alien to start with.