Satchel's Tone Print pulled from TC Electronic site due to being sexist...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    underdog said:

Because the joke isn't on women in this instance? The joke is aimed at men, they are the but of the joke, the guitarist himself is the joke. I know you're too intelligent to not know that so not sure why I'm explaining it.

Seems like being angry for the sake of it.
    But here's a woman (and she has a lot of support) who doesn't see it that way. Does her view count for nothing? I wonder if Nita Strauss who is a high-profile female guitarist who plays for Alice Cooper finds it funny. There seem to be a lot of dinosaurs on this forum judging by the lols I got for saying I thought it distasteful.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

Because the joke isn't on women in this instance? The joke is aimed at men, they are the but of the joke, the guitarist himself is the joke. I know you're too intelligent to not know that so not sure why I'm explaining it.

But here's a woman (and she has a lot of support) who doesn't see it that way. Does her view count for nothing? I wonder if Nita Strauss who is a high-profile female guitarist who plays for Alice Cooper finds it funny. There seem to be a lot of dinosaurs on this forum judging by the lols I got for saying I thought it distasteful.
    Like I said, I can see what they were trying to do, but the execution was poor and the result comes across as cheap and crass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Bridgehouse said:
    it just comes across as being a bit crass and cheap.
    tc electronic Behringer.
    Nah. BDI21 is cheap but not crass...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

I just had my wife read it, she thought the ad was quite funny. 

I don't see how getting the joke makes me a dinosaur? Surely, me thinking that women are sex objects and should be in the bed room or the kitchen would make mean that, not me getting a joke that is taking the piss out of men.

Everyone wants to be offended by everything and often on other people's behalf these days.

My wife is the main earner in my house, she is also my boss in work, I also am the main parent, so in no way shape or form do I have views that women have a certain role in life. I can just appreciate well done satire.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

I don't see how getting the joke makes me a dinosaur? Surely, me thinking that women are sex objects and should be in the bed room or the kitchen would make mean that, not me getting a joke that is taking the piss out of men.

Everyone wants to be offended by everything and often on other people's behalf these days.

My wife is the main earner in my house, she is also my boss in work, I also am the main parent, so in no way shape or form do I have views that women have a certain role in life. I can just appreciate well done satire.

You’re making too much of that - Personally I just didn’t think it was that funny - not in a mansplaining “I feel offended for you” just in a Tim Vine one liner not very funny way.
    edited July 2018
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

You’re making too much of that - Personally I just didn’t think it was that funny - not in a mansplaining “I feel offended for you” just in a Tim Vine one liner not very funny way.

It was a general response to the " it's disgusting comments", not finding it funny is fine, a Twitter campaign to stop it seems effing mental.
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

You've just proved my point as you don't get why there are women complaining. Obvious TC decided that on reflection it was poor taste and pulled it.

@underdog - like I said, I can see both sides. I felt a bit uneasy reading it - not because I was offended, or felt offence for anyone else, but because I kinda thought “what were they thinking? That’s not funny - it’s poorly written and it’s asking for trouble”

If it had been Frankie Boyle laugh out loud outrageous then I’d probably have laughed and then sucked in though my teeth but I’d have understood why they took the risk. 

As it is, it feels like they were inviting trouble but haven’t got the benefit of something genuinely funny. It’s amateur and poorly thought out at best.
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

You've just proved my point as you don't get why there are women complaining. Obvious TC decided that on reflection it was poor taste and pulled it.

I do get why women have complained, it's because they think it's serious, they missed the joke. If TC had any sense they'd have grabbed the headlines by releasing another patch as an alternative and named it something equally "offensive" towards men, then they could claim equality. 
    @underdog - I don’t think that’s right. The offence will come from the fact that the way they have written it just makes it sound like those hair metal lead guitarists were proper heroes for “making women wet” - if it’s a joke then they should have thought of a way of weaving in the clear idea that they were actually sad at best and wankers at worst. 

Like I said earlier - the joke is about lead guitarists attitudes. They missed the point and it sounded crass, poorly written and cheap. 

They wanted to put over the idea that the pedal could make you sound just like those searing lead sounds hair metal guitarists wanted to “make women wet”. 

Totally missed the point and just made it sound like they were saying “this pedal will actually make women wet”

Poor. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:
    Fretwired said:
    underdog said:

I do get why women have complained, it's because they think it's serious, they missed the joke. If TC had any sense they'd have grabbed the headlines by releasing another patch as an alternative and named it something equally "offensive" towards men, then they could claim equality. 
    It doesn't work like that ... I don't think they missed the joke. To them there wasn't a joke to be missed. Companies like TC should be encouraging girls to play the guitar .. sexist humour has no place with a company like TC selling products.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    It doesn't work like that ... I don't think they missed the joke. To them there wasn't a joke to be missed. Companies like TC should be encouraging girls to play the guitar .. sexist humour has no place with a company like TC selling products.

To be honest these guys are professionals and someone has been paid to write that and market the product - someone did a shit job. 

I showed it to Mrs B - she said “I don’t get it - is it meant to be funny? It’s just shit”
  • Every fucker wants / needs to have something to be up in arms about these days! 

Let them have at it and then get on with it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Every fucker wants / needs to have something to be up in arms about these days! 

I’m not up in arms. I just think it was a piss poor effort. My trip advisor report would read “piss poor. That is all”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Glad it got removed; guitar playing is far too male-orientated, but thankfully becoming a bit less so nowadays...stuff like this is just a bit embarrassing really. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4290
    edited July 2018
    [admin edit - personal abuse removed]
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Every fucker wants / needs to have something to be up in arms about these days! 

I’m not up in arms. I just think it was a piss poor effort. My trip advisor report would read “piss poor. That is all”
    Apologies! It certainly wasn't aimed at anyone in particular! Purely a general observation.
    Every fucker wants / needs to have something to be up in arms about these days! 

Apologies! It certainly wasn't aimed at anyone in particular! Purely a general observation.
    It’s just the extremes of reactions I find odd. It’s either “that’s outrageous” or “stop being outraged”

Thing is, it was poorly thought out and a bad decision on their part to do it. @Sporky called it out as in poor taste. It’s not outrage, it’s just more “really? Sigh.”
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    These days, everyone paints themselves as a victim. Perhaps, they are hoping to receive monetary compensation for every small thing in life that distresses them for a few seconds?

If this country ever gets involved in another major war, we are going to crumble as soon as the hair gel supply runs out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    These days, everyone paints themselves as a victim. 
    What are you a victim of? 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom