Recommended reading for someone new to DSLR cameras?

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Nothing wrong with a grey import but you need to be confident in the seller.
    HDewcameras are a happy medium between cheap grey import prices and UK based distribution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get the book "Understanding exposure" utterly brilliant and the "night and low light photography"
    This, Understanding Exposure is Fretboard Roadmaps for photography 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Dont worry about the grey import.  it will be fine.  Only issue if anything goes wrong is you need to find an independent repairer as the UK representatives of the company won't touch them.  Ive had a fair few Digital Bridge and SLR and DSLRs over the years and nothing goes wrong

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I'd recommend you start by learning about aperture priority mode from YT and then trial and error. You'll quickly learn about focal length and light and how these affect your images. You'll also learn about what kind of pictures you actually like taking, which will then inform your choices about lenses.

Beware..... Lens GAS is real......
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited July 2018
    zepp76 said:

As I live between fantastic countryside and the sea I will be spoilt for choice for subject matter. I would really like to be able to take those kind of pictures that make rivers and the sea look like mist, is that down to exposure time?

Yes, it’s down to long exposures. You will need a Neutral Density (ND) filter - not to be confused with a ND graduated filter. The ND filter is essentially dark, uniformly coloured glass. Search for 10 stop and 6 stop ND filters for this. I prefer the 100mm square filter system as you only need adapter rings to use on all lenses rather than needing different filter thread sizes for individual  lenses.

When using, you set the exposure by metering without the filter, make a note of the metered exposure time and fit the filter to the lens. You will then need an app or similar to convert the exposure time as metered without the filter to a longer exposure time for the ND filter. I use ‘PhotoPills’ but there are plenty of others. It’s fairly self explanatory when you open the app.

As mentioned above... lens GAS is frighteningly expensive D 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you that's very informative. I'll get to know the camera before delving too deep into technical photographs. I didn't think about the repercussions of GAS in the photography world, I've been looking at all kinds of lenses but for now I'll stick to what I've ordered and hopefully get decent results before lens GAS kicks in proper!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you that's very informative. I'll get to know the camera before delving too deep into technical photographs. I didn't think about the repercussions of GAS in the photography world, I've been looking at all kinds of lenses but for now I'll stick to what I've ordered and hopefully get decent results before lens GAS kicks in proper!
    Good plan. If you need inspiration, you can search flickr by camera, and there are individual groups set up for most lenses, so you can see what can be done with the kit you already have. That's usually a good GAS-killer for me, as it shows there's usually no excuses

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_rebel_t6/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2973655@N20/pool/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    zepp76 said:
    Good plan. If you need inspiration, you can search flickr by camera, and there are individual groups set up for most lenses, so you can see what can be done with the kit you already have. That's usually a good GAS-killer for me, as it shows there's usually no excuses

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_rebel_t6/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2973655@N20/pool/
    @stickyfiddle  Thank you for those links, very inspiring. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap lap top to store and work on my photos (I only have an iPad at the moment) will a 4gb ram 1tb hardrive do? I'll have to chose editing software too I suppose, any help choosing those would be greatly appreciated.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Absolutely ^. There’s really no need to dive into buying expensive lenses and other kit before learning the basics with what you have. Once (or if) you feel the need to buy more or better lenses, there’s plenty of intermediate quality gear from the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Canon themselves that are a step up from the kit lenses but without the cost of the top end L series glass.

You can always buy used gear too... a lot of photography fans are completely (and worringly !) fastidious about their gear and often keep it in absolutely pristine condition. Personally I just use my stuff and consider it a tool to do a job...if it gets a wee bit marked or scuffed, then so what? But there are a lot of people who treasure their kit like a newborn baby and even some who will only buy used gear if it’s boxed with every last scrap of paper it came with, it’s from a pet and smoke free home and lovingly polished daily with maidens milk and unicorn hair. This is all good news if you’re buying their secondhand gear of course. Have a look at used stuff from the likes of MPB Photographic and you’ll often find mint condition bodies and lenses at good prices. 

• boogieman said:
    Absolutely ^. There’s really no need to dive into buying expensive lenses and other kit before learning the basics with what you have. Once (or if) you feel the need to buy more or better lenses, there’s plenty of intermediate quality gear from the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Canon themselves that are a step up from the kit lenses but without the cost of the top end L series glass.

I’m going to disagree with that one.. I would choose a 10 year old used Canon with L glass on over a modern one with kit lens any day of the week.. kit lenses have got better over the years but so many image problem questions beginners have on TalkPhotography are nearly always down to the limitations of the kit lens.
    Development-wise, depending on the model of iPad you have that might be enough for a staring point? I use an iPad Pro (10.5", 256GB) and it's awesome, but anything from the last 3 or 4 years should be fine to get you started, you'll just need the SD card dongle. Personally, I use Lightroom across all devices, but the native iOS photos app has a fair bit of basic adjustment options to get you started - cropping, straightening, exposure, levels, and basic colour management. If you want to go deeper, you can try Lightroom for free, but you can't work with RAW files unless you pay. I'd certainly investigate all of that before splashing new-laptop money if you don't need one for other purposes. 

One of my favourite things on our trip to Iceland was spending the day on a tour, then editing photos while back on the bus and being able to share them that evening without once touching a laptop.

If you're set on getting a laptop, I’d worry more about RAM than storage for the most part. 8GB and 500Mb would be a better combination for similar money (though obviously more storage will always be useful in the long run). I tend to keep my original RAWs on an external HDD, with only whatever I'm currently working on actually on my local drive.

Development-wise, depending on the model of iPad you have that might be enough for a staring point? I use an iPad Pro (10.5", 256GB) and it's awesome, but anything from the last 3 or 4 years should be fine to get you started, you'll just need the SD card dongle. Personally, I use Lightroom across all devices, but the native iOS photos app has a fair bit of basic adjustment options to get you started - cropping, straightening, exposure, levels, and basic colour management. If you want to go deeper, you can try Lightroom for free, but you can't work with RAW files unless you pay. I'd certainly investigate all of that before splashing new-laptop money if you don't need one for other purposes. 

One of my favourite things on our trip to Iceland was spending the day on a tour, then editing photos while back on the bus and being able to share them that evening without once touching a laptop.

If you're set on getting a laptop, I’d worry more about RAM than storage for the most part. 8GB and 500Mb would be a better combination for similar money (though obviously more storage will always be useful in the long run). I tend to keep my original RAWs on an external HDD, with only whatever I'm currently working on actually on my local drive.

I'm afraid I've already ordered the 4gb 1tb lap top, I was swayed by the fact it comes bundled with a wireless printer (which I needed anyway). My iPad will be no good for editing, it shuts itself down on picture heavy sites for some reason although it is old (iPad 4) so mustn't grumble. I've looked at photo editing software e.g photoshop and one called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) which is free and looks pretty good.

I really can't thank you all enough for your time and advice, I really didn't know the size of the can of worms I'd opened by starting up photography but I think I'm going to enjoy the journey! 
    It's all good - I'm sure that laptop will be just fine :) 

And no worries on discussion. I could talk photography all day...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    boogieman said:

I’m going to disagree with that one.. I would choose a 10 year old used Canon with L glass on over a modern one with kit lens any day of the week.. kit lenses have got better over the years but so many image problem questions beginners have on TalkPhotography are nearly always down to the limitations of the kit lens.
    I like L glass too, I’ve got a couple of L lenses myself and the quality is excellent, but the OP has already said he’s bought a body with the kit lenses. IMO he doesn’t need to dive in and upgrade immediately: the kit stuff is perfectly fine to get started with and to learn the ropes on. I wouldn’t want to sink £100s into top quality glass only to find out I didn’t really get to use it or even didn't really like photography. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    boogieman said:

Using that logic, a beginner guitarist should start with Pro-level gear. 
    No point spending that kind of cash when starting out
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    boogieman said:

Not quite. Good results are alot easier to come by when taking pictures and, if you are a keen photographer, you can quickly outgrow kit lenses.

Having said that, limiting yourself to a kit lens can benefit you as a photographer in the long run. You learn alot about light and composition. And you may fix on a focal length which will make it easier to determine what type of lenses to invest in.
  • boogieman said:

just like the advice on music forums when someone comes on with 'I have purchased a starter guitar pack for £99 from a supermarket but am struggling to play it and it keeps buzzing and the strings are 4 miles above the fretboard'.... photography forums get similar and most of the time its the kit lens causing the issue.. you cant sharpen a pencil with a blunt blade..

but also like I said kit lenses having much improved over the years and some of the mirrorless offerings are superb.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    boogieman said:

My first electric guitar was a Custom 24.

I'm still shit.

As for cameras, it's hard to find any really bad cameras or lenses these days, i mean they may be bad compare to some thousand pound prime but it's still better than your phone.  The biggest thing holding you back will be your talent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    The camera turned up today, branded as a rebel T6 so it's come from the states. The battery charger plug is a two pin jobby but the seals on the box were opened and a cheap and nasty three pin converter was put in, it should do the job but I'd rather have a U.K charger so I'll have a butchers for one. A nice camera though, I'll charge the battery tomorrow and give it a whirl.