Guitar Tutors - method book recommendations

BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 123
Hi, I've been teaching guitar for about a year and a half.  I do quite a bit of preparing my own materials, which is of course quite labour intensive.  I haven't really engaged with method books yet, and the odd one or two that I've looked at (Hal Leonard publications for example) haven't inspired me at all.
Can any of you other tutors make any recommendations on method books?  I suppose I'm thinking particularly for youngsters, although the youngest I've taught so far has been 10 yrs old.

Thanks in anticipation.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• As a teenager I hard acoustic guitar lessons using the Alfred Guitar Method. I was taught by a pro player at the then Birmingham Guitar School.Might be worth checking out.It's in it's 3rd edition I believe,and still going strong.I'm not a tutor but thought it worth a mention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I'm not a fan of "one-size-fits all" approaches as everyone is different. Of course if its a group to save time its quicker to use one resource. Its not really a method but I do use the RGT Grade handbooks with some learners. Its well structured and shows exactly what you need to reach that certain grade.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 256
    Former student here...well around 20 years ago.  I found that the Hal Leonard books to be really useful at the time.  Back then it didn’t come with a tape/cd but I found that it was clear and easy to follow.  They were Guitar Method 1 & 2, think I’ve got them kicking around at home somewhere, although I never use them now.

• For absolute beginners, especially the younger ones we use the Hal Leonard Book One and walk them through the whole book so they get up to speed on basic theory.  I say "we" meaning the school I teach at.  Any beginner book will do though, they all teach the same thing, we use it because the store the school is part of carries Hal Leonard books.  Once we're through that book we can work towards what they want to do.  This saves us all a lot of prep time, but we do get more into that with more advanced students.

Whoever called it "rush hour" should not be allowed to name anything else.

Dulcet Jones Creepy Music Blog http://dulcetjones.blogspot.com/