Another help me choose a guitar thread (Telecaster vs Les Paul Jr Special)

What's Hot
chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
I've decided that 3 electrics is the magic number. I have an old Japanese Strat with CS69 pups, and a 339 Studio with Classic 57s. Now I'm looking to complete the trifecta with either a US telecaster, or a P90 equipped guitar such as the LPJ special. Decisions, decisions. What would you go for, and why?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    Telecaster.  I just love how basic they are, and they really get me using the vol/tone to get every possible sound out.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I love Juniors & p90’s
    That said if it’s just 3 then it has to be a Tele, good Tele’s cover so much ground and are the original work horse and I currently don’t own one. Plus for me specials are one pickup too much I really love the cut down simplicity of the single pickup versions.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14413
    Gibson has used the name LP Junior Special more than once.

The current usage is on a dual P90 model with a bound fingerboard. The earlier variant was meant to be a halfway house between the Junior and Special. Hence, it lacked fingerboard binding (Junior) but had two pickups (Special). Unfortunately, the earlier model had the dubious *advantage* of P-100 stacked-coil, noise-cancelling pickups. Sure enough, the hum was cancelled but, so was some of the P90 goodness.  The only solution is to replace those P-100 pickups pronto.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    edited July 2018
    If you’d go for the Tele, you might find your Strat redundant eventually...  and that leaves space for a guitar with P90s ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Which is your goto at the moment? Might help you decide which one you are more likely to pick up out of a Tele and Special..
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Which is your goto at the moment? Might help you decide which one you are more likely to pick up out of a Tele and Special..
    Hmm, depends. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably go for the Strat. That neck pickup on the CS69 set is lovely. I really love the spank of single coil guitars for clean/breakup sounds, but the 339 really has that classic rock vibe.
    I am about 75% leaning towards the tele, but I saw a LPJ (the TV yellow model) up for sale and it piqued my interest! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    The answer is get/put together a tele with a p90 in the neck position!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    munckee said:
    Or this...

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Keep an eye out for a Fender Aerodyne Telecaster, they are quite rare but with a single coil in the bridge and a P90 in the neck position it should cover a lot of ground. I've lusted after one for yonks, they look great in black with white binding.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    My LP Jr sounds Rad but my Tele can too and can clean up to a more full bodied range of tones that the Jr

BUT the Jr has real pulling power when eyed by other guitarists and onlookers, so = get both!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If you’d go for the Tele, you might find your Strat redundant eventually...  and that leaves space for a guitar with P90s ;)
    This.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3391
    edited July 2018

Or maybe

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Hmmmm if I had a Strat and a Gibson semi that could cover the 335/LP/SG departments and wanted something that would be different enough to make it worth having a 3rd ... I could agree with anyone who said a P90-loaded instrument would make a good addition, but here are some other options in the significantly-different department:
    • Reverend Airwave 12-string. Has P90 type pickups, presumably does the jangly bit quite well
    • A jazzbox - that'll make you play differently
    • A plug-innable acoustic (if you don't already have one)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    munckee said:
    Or this...

That’s so cool! I’m gonna put one of those together.