SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED :) WTB Tom Anderson Pro Am or Suhr with Floyd

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    John_A said:
    Kebabkid said:
    No worries and don't quote me on the Charvel, but I think it was an Ebony fretboard. Picked it up, played it unplugged and it was nice.
    Cheers

Still very drawn to this, much to the disgust of my bank balance

He has that had for sale for over 2 years and IMHO it is way too expensive for what it is.
    I've bought flame-topped Andy's for £500 less.

He's got a lot of guitars and I suspect a bedroom trader so you might not get a deal.
    Other instruments I've asked him about were not discounted much at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @octatonic ; Yes, he's holding out for pretty close to his asking price which I agree is steep.  Problem is there aren't any others around, and the newer 2-bolt models do seem to fetch a premium
    John_A said:
    @octatonic ; Yes, he's holding out for pretty close to his asking price which I agree is steep.  Problem is there aren't any others around, and the newer 2-bolt models do seem to fetch a premium
    Yes I think after a few years of Anderson's being in the doldrums as far as used prices things have picked up a bit.
    I suspect it is because the people that play them (like myself) don't tend to sell them.
    octatonic said:
    John_A said:
    Yes I think after a few years of Anderson's being in the doldrums as far as used prices things have picked up a bit.
    I suspect it is because the people that play them (like myself) don't tend to sell them.
    Yep, that's the plan, to play it.  Last gig I took along my Vigier Excalibur and a £200 bitsa La Cabronita, and played the tele all night :)
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Probably worth at least getting a custom build quote from World Guitars then. He's borderline taking the piss with that price.
    Jackobean said:
    Probably worth at least getting a custom build quote from World Guitars then. He's borderline taking the piss with that price.
    I've asked WG for a price and wait time for one of the same spec.  Looking around I think I'd struggle to pick one up for less TBH
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    Sorry to hear that you’re not having much luck. Hopefully they haven’t seen that you are really interested in their guitar by looking at this thread.

i think these 2 could be nice alternatives, provided you are ok with the looks...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135024/luxxtone-el-machete-90#latest

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126516/fs-suhr-modern-custom-koa-top-2150#latest
    Both nice, but still prefer the TA ;)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    John_A said:
    Anyone tried a Japanese Schecter?

Yes, sadly. We're in the same kinda market, but I've been buying Ibanezes because the right thing has not come along otherwise (and I've grown pretty attached to 24 frets). A local store had a couple maybe four or five years ago. The Floyd things they had were awful. They might have been cheaper versions of "official" Floyds, but they felt really nasty. The overall feel of the guitars was like budget Korean stuff. OK, but not the quality you want if you're looking at Anderson/Suhr. 

Because I'm a fretwhore and need some LOLs, I'd honestly hope this is better than the Schechters I tried, and it's about half the RRP (because it's not really a brand, is it?):

https://www.thomann.de/de/chapman_guitars_ml1_norseman_hjarn.htm?sid=42538c90ca368be39be21c12baa3fe6e

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DLM said:
    John_A said:
    Anyone tried a Japanese Schecter?

Yes, sadly. We're in the same kinda market, but I've been buying Ibanezes because the right thing has not come along otherwise (and I've grown pretty attached to 24 frets). A local store had a couple maybe four or five years ago. The Floyd things they had were awful. They might have been cheaper versions of "official" Floyds, but they felt really nasty. The overall feel of the guitars was like budget Korean stuff. OK, but not the quality you want if you're looking at Anderson/Suhr. 

Because I'm a fretwhore and need some LOLs, I'd honestly hope this is better than the Schechters I tried, and it's about half the RRP (because it's not really a brand, is it?):

https://www.thomann.de/de/chapman_guitars_ml1_norseman_hjarn.htm?sid=42538c90ca368be39be21c12baa3fe6e

Have a LOL on me. Had a listen to a few YouTube demos of the Japanese schecter guitars and that put me off, they all sounded awful.  Yes, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative but coming to the conclusion you get what you pay for which is funny because it really does point out that it's more than just wood and hardware.   Reinforced by my recent Vigier purchase, that is stunningly good :(
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    jeztone2 said:
    Used Tom Andersons seem to have had a bit of a price hike. Bid for a short tele on Ebay a few months back and was very confident of getting it because I’d been looking for a while and decided if necessary I was willing to find an extra 2 or 3 hundred beyond the 1,300 or 1,400 quid or so I expected it to go for based on similar sales. In the end a maximum bid of 1,700 didn’t quite get the guitar (went to someone who bid the same amount earlier). Ended up getting  a short Strat a few weeks later but had to pay similar money for it.  Even Coda had one of these on for iirc 1300 not so very long ago, and that’s dealer prices. 1700 on private sales is a pretty chunky uplift.
    Yes they have. I was looking at a four bolt T-type about 12 years ago and the guy wanted £1050.00 
    I'd been after a shorty for a long time so had been keeping a close eye on the market.  Maybe around half a dozen came up over a 3-4 year period, all around the £1250-£1400 mark but I was holding out for jumbo frets and (to my regret) never picked one up.  Eventually I decided jumbo wasn't likely to happen and that I was willing to settle for medium frets, and it was at that point I realised the market had shifted and it was going to cost me more than I expected.

Having said that, I still agree with other posters that the asking price on the Pro-Am is too much.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    jeztone2 said:
    Used Tom Andersons seem to have had a bit of a price hike. Bid for a short tele on Ebay a few months back and was very confident of getting it because I’d been looking for a while and decided if necessary I was willing to find an extra 2 or 3 hundred beyond the 1,300 or 1,400 quid or so I expected it to go for based on similar sales. In the end a maximum bid of 1,700 didn’t quite get the guitar (went to someone who bid the same amount earlier). Ended up getting  a short Strat a few weeks later but had to pay similar money for it.  Even Coda had one of these on for iirc 1300 not so very long ago, and that’s dealer prices. 1700 on private sales is a pretty chunky uplift.
    Yes they have. I was looking at a four bolt T-type about 12 years ago and the guy wanted £1050.00 
    I'd been after a shorty for a long time so had been keeping a close eye on the market.  Maybe around half a dozen came up over a 3-4 year period, all around the £1250-£1400 mark but I was holding out for jumbo frets and (to my regret) never picked one up.  Eventually I decided jumbo wasn't likely to happen and that I was willing to settle for medium frets, and it was at that point I realised the market had shifted and it was going to cost me more than I expected.

Having said that, I still agree with other posters that the asking price on the Pro-Am is too much.
    I have a Shorty Raven and it is one of my favourite guitars.
    It has medium, rather than heavy frets but I quickly adjusted.

I think the days of getting a used Anderson for around £1300 are long gone.
    A combination of increasing popularity (albeit amongst a niche audience), inflation, changes in currency and such.

A 2 bolt seems to have a £300-500 uplift from a 4 bolt.
    A interesting top seems to be a bit more.

jeztone2 said:

Cheers, what would you say was a fair price for a 2015 2-bolt pro am in mint condition?
    JGC said:
    Yes, it's mentioned earlier in the thread. Not keen on the colour or the quilt. Plus it's an older one

I think even though the other one may be a bit steep it's pretty much just what I'm looking for and can't find another
    My advice is stick to the spec you want and wait it out.
    Or buy new and order one.
    octatonic said:
    This one is the spec I want but everyone is saying he's taking the piss with the price then in the next breath saying the days of£1400 Andersons are over 

would like Ike some advice on what would be considered fair

based on the fact I can't find another it doesn't seem unreasonable 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    edited July 2018
    the days of £1400 droptops seem over. should get you a pro am imho..
    John_A said:
    octatonic said:
    This one is the spec I want but everyone is saying he's taking the piss with the price then in the next breath saying the days of£1400 Andersons are over 

would like Ike some advice on what would be considered fair

based on the fact I can't find another it doesn't seem unreasonable 
    As Woody says, £1400 for droptop is over, they are all £2200ish,

For a Pro Am, I wouldn't pay over £1400 myself.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    I don't know a lot about the pricing of Pro Ams to be honest, the asking price does seem high but I haven't been tracking them the way I have some other models.

I actually prefer the medium frets to the heavy on the Andersons (and Suhr).  They're taller and thinner.  I like proper jumbos, but height is more important than width so the mediums are the next best thing. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”