Wireless guitar transmitters ?

baldybaldy Frets: 195
I wasn"t sure which section to post this in so please forgive me if this is the wrong section & feel free to move it.
Anyway last night I was given an Ammoon wireless guitar transmitter set up by my neighbour who said that it was to "hissy" sounding for him so he had bought a different set up.
I tried it & it was a bit hissy but not to bad at the home practice volumes I play at & TBH I could probably put up with it.
I liked the freedom of not having a cable snaked across the floor between guitar & amp.
The main problem, to me, was that this being the cheapest of the Ammoon offerings the transmit & receive units have a flimsy screw in antenna, which although not a problem with the receive unit, gets in the way on the transmit unit if you are playing sitting down and could easily break, unless you use a short patch lead & either attach the unit to your strap or lay it at your side.
I started looking online & saw plenty of slightly more expensive units with built in antennas, including Ammoon, & wondered if any of you have any experience of cheap wireless transmitter set ups.
This would only be used for quiet home practice so I don"t want to spend to much and it doesn"t need to cope with the demands of live gigging so unless it is cheap I will just continue using a cable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I use Line 6 G10 which is great. 
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited July 2018
    The Line 6 looks to be around £100 ?
    I was thinking more of the sub £50 offerings from the likes of Ammoon, X-Vive, Joy-Yo etc ?
    A wireless transmitter set up was not something I had ever even thought about until last night.
    i was surprised at how cheap some of them are & just wondered if any of the cheap set ups were any good for home practice.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The t bone ones on Thomann get good reviews £42.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Line 6 G10.... used it for years, and only just upgraded...

Ive got one for sale soon (boxed, I think) with a brand new spare dongle thingy and usb charger for it. 
    baldy said:
    The Line 6 looks to be around £100 ?
    I was thinking more of the sub £50 offerings from the likes of Ammoon, X-Vive, Joy-Yo etc ?
    A wireless transmitter set up was not something I had ever even thought about until last night.
    i was surprised at how cheap some of them are & just wondered if any of the cheap set ups were any good for home practice.
    Ive tried a few of them, and even the more expensive XVive are noisy. 

The G10 is silent :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    edited July 2018
    I bought an X-vive U2 system last year and have been really pleased with it. It's not noisy with my set up and when comparing it to a cable, I can't tell the difference. It's a bit over your budget though.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2259
    X-vive U2 for me too. Really good. No noise and lasts about 4 hours between charges.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Why not keep eyes out on here for a smooth hound s/h.  I picked up one for £60 as didn't have box.
    I have had half an hour playing with the Ammoon wireless transmitter today as opposed to the 5 minutes last night & yes the hiss is to intrusive & I cannot live with it.
    I saw my neighbour & asked which transmitter set he had bought after not liking the Ammoon & he showed me what he had bought, Xvive UHF.
    He reckons they are silent, no tone sucking or latency issues & he can"t hear any difference between them & using a cable.
    Very small & compact units, built in antenna & a 180 degree swivelable plug so they will fit guitars with the input on the front of the body as well as those with the input on the bottom of the body.
    I am sorely tempted now.
    They appear to be just over £100.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    If your looking at spending £100 then get a G10

Will the G10 work ok with an amp with an input on the front not the top as the receiver looks to be quite a large box shaped thing ?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    There is an output on the back so you just take a lead as long as you need into the input of the amp of effects that you are using.

So I have gone from wireless transmitters never even having crossed my mind to considering spending over £100 on one in 24 hours.
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a terrible affliction for the wallet.
    I must admit that I like the look of the Xvive U2 due to it"s small compact size & design (no leads required at the receiver end & I could leave it plugged into an amps input when not in use)
    It seems to generally get good reviews so I think that the best course of action is to try & borrow my neighbours for an evening & see how it performs for me.

The Xvive will be fine for home use, just wouldnt stand up to gigging imho.

Amazon sell them, and have a superb returns option.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    This is the point at which I always say “AKG WMS40’ - about £70 from Amazon last time I looked, compact, simple, easy to use, transmitter runs forever on a single standard AA battery, reliable/robust (I gig mine regularly doing about 50 nights a year with it for about 4 years now,), and sounds good enough that I haven’t felt any need to upgrade/replace it in that time. Definitely no hiss, and as we’re at the louder end of the pub covers band spectrum I’d have noticed!

It really does seem too good to be true, but if there’s a catch (beyond lack of flexibility - they operate on a single fixed channel with only three frequency options) I haven’t found it yet...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I like that the XVive receiver runs off a battery not a wall socket. Any others do that?
    Well after trying an Xvive U2 system & liking it I pulled the trigger & they arrived today.
    First impressions after a quick 5 minute play are that they are very quiet with no hiss or interference, no latency that I can hear, & no noticeable changes in tone or volume compared to a lead.
    They are now on charge & I will have an hour with them this evening.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Yup I bought XVive also, they do all I need. I agree a hardcore gigger would want something more sturdy, but that's not me.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    anyone with any experience of the 

Shure GLXD16UK Digital Pedal Board Wireless Guitar System