Corporate handshake from family member has weirded me out.

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Perhaps you should have gone with your first instinct, ie. 'What the fuck was that..." With any luck he'd have snapped back into human form.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited July 2018
    zepp76 said:
    I'm a stickler for a good firm handshake, there is nothing worse than shaking hands with someone who has a clammy limp handshake, it creeps me out.
    I’ve got a firm handshake and people have complained in the past. I agree you shouldn’t be trying to impose your strength/dominance or hurt them but at least put some fucking effort in.

Some people hold their hand out and it’s so half arsed if you don’t grab it quick their arm has fell to the floor.

I worked somewhere where one of the gaffers had a particularly limp handshake - he was referred to as Edward Liverhands...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Iamnobody said:
    zepp76 said:
    I'm a stickler for a good firm handshake, there is nothing worse than shaking hands with someone who has a clammy limp handshake, it creeps me out.
    I’ve got a firm handshake and people have complained in the past. I agree you shouldn’t be trying to impose your strength/dominance or hurt them but at least put some fucking effort in.

Some people hold there hand out and it’s so half arsed if you don’t grab it quick their arm has fell to the floor.

I worked somewhere where one of the gaffers had a particularly limp handshake - he was referred to as Edward Liverhands...
    Definitely this. There's a gulf between "firm" and the arsehole Donald Trump deathgrip style. A weak handshake isn't really a handshake at all, it's just letting the other person hold the weight of your hand for a few seconds and is deeply unsettling. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    At least it wasn't anything Masonic. The one that annoys me is when they grip your hand and turn it (so that they're palm-down and you're palm-up), which is essentially turning a formal greeting into an arm wrestling match. It's supposed to demonstrate dominance, and since they have the element of surprise (because normal people don't do that sort of thing, so you're not expecting it) they usually win. It doesn't really demonstrate superior strength so much as being a twat you want to interact with as little as possible. The kind of nonsense that President Dickface is always trying to pull. 

It would be a lot less effort for everybody if they just wore a lapel badge with "I am a complete wanker!" written on it. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Next time I'll do the old Milton Erickson handshake on him.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
    I get the corporate handshake from my brother when I visit him in Ashbourne once a year, which I have to forcibly convert to a brotherly hug. He also makes a point of going to Waitrose on that day despite shopping at Lidl every other week of the year. Some people are just  born cunts and/or insecure by nature, though I suspect in your case he didn’t mean to condescend you and was just acting out his ingrained corporate schtik.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    Send him an invoice from your chiropractor..  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Aw c'mon, why are you Northern softies so against handshakes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Why do you want me to squeeze your hand?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I can understand the  OP's issue with this but I think that there's an expectation that, because they are family, they'll be similar to you and behave like you. When you spend long enough in a particular environment, you get to alter your behaviour to fit in. This is what has probably happened to your cousin. I have learned that through hard experience that expectations that they share similar values and behaviour to you will probably disappoint.

In your cousin's circles, a firm corporate handshake is the norm . Your style of handshake probably felt as out of place  to him, as his did to you and I would bet that he was probably wondering what he had in common with you lot.

I know it sounds cynical but apart from my mum and dad, I have absolutely no expectations of my extended family whatsoever. Frequent past contact has always left me with an underwhelmed feeling and I have no more in common, nor do I feel any heightened  feelings other than  a curiosity as to how they are getting on.

The old saying is that you can pick your friends but not your family.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited July 2018
    Personally, I think he just asserted his authority over you, stared you down and made you his bitch.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Chalky said:
    Is there really a north/south divide in this? I have never noticed.

if so I would be fairly sure the reason would have little to do with being soft, and more to do with not wanting to get punched in the face after every handshake.

Personally, I don’t feel any need to assert my physical dominance over anyone. What does it achieve, other than making you seem like a dick.  I don’t try to “win” every interaction either.

I have called out the last few people to try the deathgrip on me.  Firm is fine... doesn’t have to be aggressive 

I am sure we have all seen how many blokes walk out of a public toilet without bothering to wash their hands.  
    Chalky said:
    I guarantee that your male ancestors shook hands with family and friends in the 1950s, when attending weddings, christenings and funerals, and when they got a job, and when they met or were introduced new people.

So I'm not asking you to do something new - you are choosing to stop shaking hands like your forefathers did.

Yet you will happily fistbump, handgrab and high five folks when that is imported gesture from the Black American culture.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Wolfetone said:
    I can understand the  OP's issue with this but I think that there's an expectation that, because they are family, they'll be similar to you and behave like you. When you spend long enough in a particular environment, you get to alter your behaviour to fit in. This is what has probably happened to your cousin. I have learned that through hard experience that expectations that they share similar values and behaviour to you will probably disappoint.

In your cousin's circles, a firm corporate handshake is the norm . Your style of handshake probably felt as out of place  to him, as his did to you and I would bet that he was probably wondering what he had in common with you lot.

I know it sounds cynical but apart from my mum and dad, I have absolutely no expectations of my extended family whatsoever. Frequent past contact has always left me with an underwhelmed feeling and I have no more in common, nor do I feel any heightened  feelings other than  a curiosity as to how they are getting on.

The old saying is that you can pick your friends but not your family.

Wis. I also find it strange that extended family see you twenty years later and are surprised to find "you've changed" while they still live within 20 miles of where they were born and still do the same type of job and go to some of the same pubs!  
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:
    I guarantee that your male ancestors shook hands with family and friends in the 1950s, when attending weddings, christenings and funerals, and when they got a job, and when they met or were introduced new people.

So I'm not asking you to do something new - you are choosing to stop shaking hands like your forefathers did.

Yet you will happily fistbump, handgrab and high five folks when that is imported gesture from the Black American culture.

Our ancestors also beat their wives and sent kids down coal mines and up chimneys. Just because it used to be the done thing it doesn't make it right.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

Our ancestors also beat their wives and sent kids down coal mines and up chimneys. Just because it used to be the done thing it doesn't make it right.
    It also originated from Greece no? 
    Back when blokes carried swords.. 

Dunno about anyone else but my forefathers probably got bigger problems, they can be as offended at my sometimes handshaking, sometimes black originating fist bumping ways all they like, cos those mofos are dead. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Next thing you know these idiots will be listening to Black American music like this modern blues stuff, what’s wrong with a bit of Vera Lynn?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

Actually my forefathers went for the whole kiss kiss kiss Mediterranean thing. Takes an absolute age to say hi and bye at family events.

Not sure why you’re projecting race into this discussion unless Chalky is a white thing? 

If someone goes for a handshake I do know how to perform the procedure.

But I think it says more about a person if they ‘judge a man by his handshake’ than if they are into handshakes or not.

Anyone can learn how to squeeze a hand and look into someone’s eyes. It’s a meaningless gesture if it’s just a way to say hello. No different to a high 5.

Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

Actually my forefathers went for the whole kiss kiss kiss Mediterranean thing. Takes an absolute age to say hi and bye at family events.

Not sure why you’re projecting race into this discussion unless Chalky is a white thing? 

If someone goes for a handshake I do know how to perform the procedure.

But I think it says more about a person if they ‘judge a man by his handshake’ than if they are into handshakes or not.

Anyone can learn how to squeeze a hand and look into someone’s eyes. It’s a meaningless gesture if it’s just a way to say hello. No different to a high 5.

Its also pitiful to judge another by the force of their handshake really.. 

Real men would only ever take pride in bettering themselves, not others.