Vintage Celestions and cone stamps?

DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
Picked up a '79 G12-65 today from someone locally.  In good nick and sounds pretty good to me.  Just wondering about cone stamp codes - namely, that this one doesn't appear to have one!  Would an original Celestion cone always have a code stamped on it, or not?  Given what I paid, I really don't mind if it does happen to be a recone, as it sounds/works just fine...the chap I bought it off said the other speaker in the 2x12 it came out of had a KM stamp on it, but that this one didn't, despite them both being of an identical vintage and in what appeared to be the same condition.

Anyways, just wondering, as I'm sure there are enough Celestion nerds around here who could weigh in on this.

Cheers
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited July 2018
    Likely original. I've owned a few of those. They tend to have larger 'ribs' and are darker in appearance from the back. Probably a different cone supplier than the usual Kurt Mueller cones. However they do sound very similar to my ears. A little bit brighter sounding at low volume maybe.

Difficult to confirm without photos though. There are recones out there of course, but if it looks original and sounds original - it is probably original.

Some comparison photos:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom