New Sacha Baron Cohen show in the US! Genius

What's Hot

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    First grader to first grenader. You've got to be fucking kidding me. This is scary, but brilliantly executed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited July 2018
    Dominic said:
    He is a complete genius ............a satirist for the 21st century .......I think he is a fantastic people observer ; The characters of Ali G, Borat,Bruno etc and the Israeli Mossad guy here are just so spot on ..........they are perfect caricature.
     He is easily able to deceive and highlight imbeciles .
    He is a total genius, which you can see how he studied at Cambridge in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
     Agreed. It's also easier for SBC to get his stuff out there now with the advent of Netflix, streaming etc. Morris didn't have that back in the day. To do what he did and get it out via the establishment British media was remarkable. It still feels like some kind of warped reality to think that Radio 1 had Morris on in the evening when I was younger. 
    I presume you saw Jam/Jaaaaaaaaam?  That was some truly fucked up television and weird to think it was on television! 

A real shame CM's output seems to have disappeared in recent times but just looking now at his Wiki page suggests he's finished shooting a film. 

Back to SBC

This is one of my favourite SBC moments

Yes, that and horse is like man. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    I presume you saw Jam/Jaaaaaaaaam?  That was some truly fucked up television and weird to think it was on television! 

A real shame CM's output seems to have disappeared in recent times but just looking now at his Wiki page suggests he's finished shooting a film. 

Of course. I got into Morris through On The Hour. Everything followed after that. Blue Jam in the early hours on R1 was one of my great university moments. I recorded them all. For a while, I worked in a petrol station doing the night shift. Nobody I'd bring my boombox down and play all sorts of shit as there were few residential houses around that area and it was close to a nightclub (it was on the far side of New Road and the cricket ground). Sticking Blue Jam on used to freak the customers out beautifully. So obviously I thought I'd do the same in the uni bar and infiltrated their music system. Safe to say there weren't many Chris Morris fans there...

Have you ever seen this? Love it to bits. Weird visuals, weird audio, but all the little touches make it, like the destination sign on the back of the bus at 6:10 when he gets kicked off. 

• This show is unbelievable, in the best way possible 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    His characters are finely observed, but to me watching, they’re not very believable. Which makes the insane right wingers queueing up to hang themselves with the rope he gleefully hands them all the more remarkable. Very good, but very scary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    His characters are finely observed, but to me watching, they’re not very believable. Which makes the insane right wingers queueing up to hang themselves with the rope he gleefully hands them all the more remarkable. Very good, but very scary.
    That is the genius part, he treads that fine line where he is SOOOOO unbelievable to an observant but fits in so well to those targeted demographic that they see him as one of their own.  He pushes all their ideology to the extreme and brings out the best ? (or is that worse) in them and do it in a way for them to do it willingly and some even desperately. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    There's an upcoming episode where he makes a dick out of Sarah Palin.  

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    laughing at that felt so wrong
    play every note as if it were your first
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm in stitches.  As good as I thought it would be, it was better.

Head, shoulders, not the toes not the toes FIRE!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Brilliant. At least Walsh seemed able to laugh about it. Some of the others might not be able to laugh it off quite so easily.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    I really got the feeling that the little republican with the wife likes men to do things to him in dungeons. If he wasn’t another closeted conservative I’ll eat my hat.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    I really got the feeling that the little republican with the wife likes men to do things to him in dungeons. If he wasn’t another closeted conservative I’ll eat my hat.

Yeah. I think the wife did pretty well to remain so polite too! Nice to see there is still some tolerance out there for offending views.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I thought the kinderguardians bit was good.. the rest was a little.. forced? Still had many chuckle moments and I did enjoy it. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I thought it was great and really enjoyed the sense of is this for real?  Loved the characters - especially Erran Morad. I cracked up at the way he marched about and had his legs wide open during interview. As for Rick, the ex con artist being offered pubes by the crazy art dealer.... wtf?!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    That is the genius part, he treads that fine line where he is SOOOOO unbelievable to an observant but fits in so well to those targeted demographic that they see him as one of their own.  He pushes all their ideology to the extreme and brings out the best ? (or is that worse) in them and do it in a way for them to do it willingly and some even desperately. 
    That's also a failing for me because all too often with SBC he goes after one demographic. With Morris, it went far deeper. He didn't spoof Conservatives, he spoofed Parliament. The whole notion of celebrity culture was a target, from Claire Rayner to Frankie Fraser. 

Watched this last night: eh it's OK. It's hard to make fun of people already out there because there's little surprising that you can spring on them. The Rolling Stone someone posted above got it right when they said like it was setting the scenes for new characters. Personally I'd rather watch Louis Theroux documentaries on 'extreme' ideologies than someone trying to be funny whilst sending up these ideologies as Theroux's programmes generally are about those beliefs rather than himself.  

• DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Col Erran Morad was absolutely brilliant ,the song, the concept ,the kiddy show production .....the rest was meh
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    I think it looks a bit tedious and boring. I don't think I would be impressed by Cohen and Showtime I was a bereaved Sandy Hook parent. I know they are trying to ridicule and highlight the idiotic idealogy of some Americans but lining Cohens pockets for giggles doesn't change anything.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    I think he's an incredibly clever guy, I just don't find that kind of thing funny and never have. 

It's just Beadle's About with a knowing smirk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom