Almost NGD - Harley Benton Fusion Pro Series HSH

What's Hot
WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hi guys,

It's not arrived yet, but it arrives this week (shipped today from Thomann). I was really impressed with the spec and price, so i've taken a punt. Only came in to stock at the weekend

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fusion_hsh_roasted_maple.htm

Electric Guitar

• Ergonomically shaped mahogany body
  • "Ultra Flame" flamed maple veneer top
  • Matching headstock
  • Bolt-on neck from "roasted" Canadian flamed maple
  • "Roasted" maple fretboard
  • Neck shape: Modern C
  • Clay Dot fretboard inlays
  • 24 Medium jumbo stainless steel frets
  • Nu-Bone nut
  • Nut width: 42 mm
  • Scale: 648 mm
  • Fretboard radius: 305 mm
  • Binding made of natural wood
  • Pickups: 2 Roswell HAF-B Alnico-5 humbuckers (bridge and neck) and 1 S74-C BK Alnico-5 single coil (middle)
  • Volume knob and tone knob
  • Pickup switch: Single coil / humbucker
  • 5-Way toggle switch
  • Wilkinson 50IIK 2-Point tremolo
  • Chrome hardware
  • WSC locking die-cast machine heads
  • Original stringing: D'Addario EXL110 .010 - .046
  • Colour: Natural, high gloss

Uploading stock photos - but when it arrives, i'll whack on the 'real world' ones  - only changes I am making, for now, are Hipshot Inline Staggered Open Gear Locking Tuners and Schaller Strap Locks.

James
Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jackss565Jackss565 Frets: 8
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Spec does look very good for the price 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    WildWayz said:
    Uploading stock photos - but when it arrives, i'll whack on the 'real world' ones  

I wonder if it'll be like those pictures comparing McDonalds Big Mac adverts with the nasty-looking squashed things they actually serve?

It does look very impressive though, and the specs are amazing. I suppose the real question will be does it feel like an expensive guitar?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    The Hipshot tuner upgrade is a sensible one, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh as it were :) 
  • 2003amxl2003amxl Frets: 71
    Great to see stainless steel frets on lower end guitars.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    They look great, did have an 'oooo' moment when first saw them, looking forward to your thoughts on arrival :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
    Thanks guys

I am not holding loads of hope for it... but it is pretty much an Ibanez AZ with that kinda spec. In fact, for £320ish - it is what? almost 1/4 the price? With a setup, tweaks etc it should be excellent... other HB guitars have great reviews and this is £150ish more...
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Looks impressive. The Harley Benton stuff looks great for the price and gets good reviews as far as I can see.
    When I ordered something from thomann it took longer to get from the local depot that it did to get from germany to the depot. I'm not good at being patient when waiting for deliveries, and that didn't help, especially when it's GAS related.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Looks good, will be interested to read your thoughts after you have had it for a few weeks
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Really keen to hear how you get on with this!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    I'm very interested in hearing how you get on as well.

So much build-up!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Hopefully I'll be getting mine this week though I've not had shipping confirmation yet. 

I've opted for one of the slightly cheaper, more garish finishes with a quilt top. The pictures in the OP are making me question my decision though. Might contact thomann to see if it's too late to change the order.
  • I am getting really tempted by these now. Looking forward to reading your impressions when it arrives.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    WildWayz said:
    Thanks guys

I am not holding loads of hope for it... but it is pretty much an Ibanez AZ with that kinda spec. In fact, for £320ish - it is what? almost 1/4 the price? With a setup, tweaks etc it should be excellent... other HB guitars have great reviews and this is £150ish more...
    Looks great, fingers crossed for you :)
    RedRabbit said:
    Hopefully I'll be getting mine this week though I've not had shipping confirmation yet. 

I've opted for one of the slightly cheaper, more garish finishes with a quilt top. The pictures in the OP are making me question my decision though. Might contact thomann to see if it's too late to change the order.
    I *almost* went for the quilted maple one - asked Thomann what the difference was between that and the one I ordered... and there wasn't any other than the top. I know I paid more for a _hopefully_ excellent flame. It's a veneer, but probably has solid maple top with the flame veneer on top of it. My RG6PCMLTD was a £1200 Ibanez... made in Indonesia... with a flame veneer... and the flame is poor. 

End of the day, even if I whacked different pickups on it and paid for someone to go over the guitar and set up up properly... and put orange drop caps in it... upgrade electrics... it would still be under £600 spent.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    How’s that trem going to hold up with the string bar on the headstock? Is that bar lubricated? Regardless, it looks great though. Who cares about the thickness of the cap?
    skinfreak said:
    How’s that trem going to hold up with the string bar on the headstock? Is that bar lubricated? Regardless, it looks great though. Who cares about the thickness of the cap?
    I'm removing that bar as I will have staggered inline tuners on there... so no need for it.

As for the cap - no idea yet - probably no more than 2mm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Here we go!

A quick improve using my Helix LT - not a great player :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Quick views....

Couple of marks on the guitar - some came off with a tiny bit of rubbing... one on the headstock which looks like a grey bit of urm paint? It's under the finish... not really an issue...

The pickup route on the bridge... think it may be incorrectly routed... as I can't lower the bridge end on the treble side.

The fretboard feels like a dry rosewood board (like on an acoustic that has been sat for too long)... more I play the less it feels dry so could just be some factory finish?

Action was a tad high, no biggy. Lowered it now... trem returns to tune most of the time. Need to kill that retainer bar. It is pinching it. I have some Hipshot Staggared Inline Open Tuners to go in when I restring next. Strings also need stretching in.

The trem bar you screw in, then tighten with an alan key.

Other than that, it is light. MUCH lighter than my Ibanez RG6PCMLTD and Yamaha Pacifica 311H. 

I was thinking to replace the pickups but after playing them I don't think they need doing...

I have my usual Schaller strap locks on there now too.

The Stainless Steel frets are crowned nicely... no sharp edges - and no rough patches there.

All in all - I am a fussy fart but I feel the 'niggles' aren't enough for me to return it. I really quite like it!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    That looks seriously nice for what it costs, great score :D
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Nice. 
    I am very tempted by the H/H version in charcoal & now I have read your comments & listened to your "improve" I am even more tempted.