Cheap modeller, Pod X3 or...?

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
edited July 2018 in FX
Should be in the market for a cheap modeller in the near future. Unfortunately as much as I'd like one, I can't really afford or justify the Helix or an Amplifire - budget is ideally under £100. It'll be mostly just used at home through headphones and monitors, and maybe occasionally through a PA for rehearsals if I manage to get a band situation going again. I only really want a few sounds and I'm pretty simple hence why the Ampli-firebox appealed to me. Basically just want something that can do a reasonable plexi or JCM800 tone that I can clean up with guitar, and maybe a few higher gain patches.

So I've been thinking of going for an older generation modeller such as a Pod X3, Pocket Pod or HD500 if I can find one. Still keeping an eye out for a GSP1101 but that'll go over budget I think. Trying to avoid pc software so I can just plug in and play without distractions and without being tied to the PC. Any suggestions? I don't really know much about this stuff, the only thing I've used in the past was a V-Amp 2 which I was quite happy with for a long time before I got into valve amps!

Do any of the old ones really compare to something from the current generation - will I just wish I'd saved up for longer and got the AFB?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    A slightly left field suggestion but I have a Rocktron Chameleon in my cupboard that I'm not using. Not a modeller per se but will do a whole range of amp impressions from clean to filth + a decent range of effects. A very powerful EQ section allows for some serious sound shaping.
    Basically, it's a Voodoo Valve without the preamp valve. Old tech now but well regarded in its day. The one I have is the U.S. 'Blackface' model with the Chameleon on the front.
    Yours for £100 delivered.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the offer - just checked it out and I'm not sure the sounds are doing it for me tbh, seems very 80s!

Currently just been thinking maybe I'll just go for a Marshall Code 25 - I know I like the plexi and jubilee models, and although it doesn't quite have the I/O I want I suppose i could always connect the headphone out to a cheapo mixer then to my monitors. It's a shame the stock speaker isn't easily changeable as I think it lets the side down a bit.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    The demo's are all very cheesy shred stuff but they're more versatile than that because of the pre and post amp EQ blocks. Not sure they're all that Marshally though so maybe not what you're looking for. They will however, p*ss all over a Pod, V-Amp or the earlier, cheaper Digitech stuff.

Difficult to recommend anything on your limited budget but might be worth looking for a used Digitech RP500. Similar modelling to the gsp1101 (less power and features) but in a floor board format. A few years back a bandmate of mine had the RP1000 and it sounded great.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    https://youtu.be/Hmb0Q0Q_7jo
    Having used a Pod for years for home recording and switching finally to a Kemper when they came out. I would say the X3 is a good choice and yes modern stuff is nice the sub £100 X3 to me is still very usable. Back in the day I always felt you needed to deep edit the Line 6 stuff to really get the most out once I had 10 or 15 goto sounds saved that was it never touched it much after that.

I would be happy to use an X3
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    RP floor units are ok but not as good if you want trails from fx as only have 1 processor (gsp has 2).

If you can find the iPad version of the digitech floor model cheap then your cooking on gas.  It has same dual processors as GSP (effectively is a gsp) and all editing is done with the iPad which makes the screens unit.  Advantage over gsp; 2 fx loops and can handle any fx in any order so stacking is possible, list of models and fx is same as GSP... Disadvantages; no midi, 4cable, doesn't accept IR files and requires long cable runs and needs the iPad to edit.

IR file issue can be resolved by moving slider to send all output through iPad then use software called rooms which then allows you to put any IR files you like on output.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    edited July 2018
    Zoom G3n sounds quite cool and is about £100 from Thomann, seems to sound good and seems to do all the usual stuff.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I'd go Zoom. I have a G3 and B3 for messing about with any they are great.

One day I'll get a a new modelling pedal....probably the next generation of gear. 
    Ah yeah, the Zooms seem pretty good actually. I like that you can buy Choptones patches for them as that'll save me the headache of figuring out what works to get me started !
  • +1 for the Zoom G3
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    +1 for the Zoom G3
    Make that +2 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm actually thinking of moving my Pod HD500 on and getting another zoom as the space saving is very useful in my boot for YBTB bookings! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Check out the Palmer pocket amp. Sounds great and really good value for money
    MrMusic said:
    That one seems good but can't find many decent clips which is a concern- seems to have that typical plasticy analog cab sim sound like tech 21 etc..
    TTBZ said:
    MrMusic said:
    That one seems good but can't find many decent clips which is a concern- seems to have that typical plasticy analog cab sim sound like tech 21 etc..
    For the price it sounds really decent and is as good as other modellers in its price range, i was actually pleasantly surprised that i could get a sound very similar to my Blues Deluxe for recording DI. Ticks alot of boxes and Palmer were one of the first “cab sim” pioneers with di boxes and the pdi rack unit series in the 80’s. Highly recommend Palmer kit and definitely worth trying
    Oh yeh, Palmer also do Joe Bonammasa’s sound and front of house DI and he’s one serious tone snob! if it sounds good to him....... i think they’ve nailed it
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I've got a zoom g9.2tt I could post to you for 90 squids all in
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    another for zoom g3, very versatile and well made, can pick them up used for approx £70.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you want a Pocket Pod I have one I can do you for £50 posted, including the box, manual and if I remember correctly the original batteries :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I use an X3, it’s bloody brilliant. Most of the models don’t sound like what they’re trying to emulate but it’s a very good unit. 

I use a JCM900 on the left and the SLO in the right, but with a 28ms pre-delay, sounds good enough to leave my budda at home! Pm me if you’d like to hear a track I recorded all the guitars with the X3
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited July 2018
    I prefer the XT to the X3.  I had an XT and sold it to get an X3 when the X3 came out.  I preferred the sounds on the XT.  The X3 just sounded fizzy to me.  The X3 does have some advantages (I think it has bass amp models that the XT doesn't), but for guitar I preferred the sounds in the XT.