Monitor for vocals for guitarist singer

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 619
Need some recommendations from anyone with a similar setup...

4pc loud rock band, i need a decent monitor wedge for my vocals for the gigs that dont have a sound system team. Guitars (mine +1) go thru unmicd amps. FOH is a 400W amp thru Thomann 12"s which have been outstandingly good for the money.

What do you use/recommend i look at?
Active or passive? (amp can send both)
Needs to be a true floor wedge, not a FOH that can go on the floor, smaller the better.
Loud enough for rock but dont need anything for clarity, i just want to hear myself while earplugged!
8? 10?"
Thomann esque budget.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've got an Alto TX8 which I use as a vocal monitor and it weighs nothing, costs very little and works a charm. I've never got close to maxing it and it's clear as a bell. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Leave the amp powering the main speakers and buy an active floor monitor.  I’d get a 12” but you might get away with a 10.    Then just get the most power you can afford.    
    For a budget option there are often used peavey and laney active wedges floating around that seem pretty reliable - maybe a wanted ad on here or check a local Facebook buying and selling group.  
    What part of the county are you in? There might be someone reading that has something suitable.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    Thanks. Any particular reason why you'd go active for floor monitor? I'm preferring passive, just for weight and the amp has a dedicated monitor channel, but looks like theres lots more choice in active and more versatile.
    Any Peavey / Laney models you know of? I've had an ebay alert on for a while but nothing much has come up yet.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    darius said:
    Thanks. Any particular reason why you'd go active for floor monitor? I'm preferring passive, just for weight and the amp has a dedicated monitor channel, but looks like theres lots more choice in active and more versatile.
    Any Peavey / Laney models you know of? I've had an ebay alert on for a while but nothing much has come up yet.
    Passive will stress your amp more; not a great idea in my experience with lower end kit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good point. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    The alto I mentioned above, and it's bigger brothers, are active.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I would go IEMs its almost as cheap these days
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    This. Pre or Post PA/Mixer
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    IEMs cheap? Not that i've found anywhere. Please share!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    darius said:
    IEMs cheap? Not that i've found anywhere. Please share!
    We've been using a cheapo £120 set off eBay for the last three years, y'know, the crap everyone tells you to avoid?

It hasn't missed a beat for a couple of hundred gigs, we just had to spend twenty quid on some more comfortable earphones. 

We have one of those little mic stand mounted monitors in the car just in case, but haven't needed it yet.