Timed auto volume swell - does this exist?

What's Hot
solarsolar Frets: 172
I want to do some volume swell stuff, but I've never got on very well with volume pedals and I find Boss Slow Gear-style auto swell pedals a bit too unpredictable. What I want is something like this:

Pedal with a momentary switch. Pressing the switch immediately kills the signal completely. Releasing the switch causes the signal to slowly fade back in (with a Rate knob to control how fast this happens).

Googling has failed me - the closest I can find is this circuit from 1981 (!) which seems to do something vaguely similar: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/auto-swell/3621

Does anyone make anything like this? If not, maybe one of the super-complicated programmable tremolo pedals can do something similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    Maybe Roland / Boss 'Slowgear'?

I think this was available in Boss pedal format, and is certainly on various multi effect units.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • solarsolar Frets: 172
    edited July 2018
    See first paragraph of post
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2018
    The TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb comes with a toneprint that's a swell effect. That pedal has the "mash" footswitch so with that effect enabled you strum and you hear nothing, until you press and hold the footswitch, it then swells in. Release the switch and it fades away. There's then a Pete Thorn version of that as well (second part of the video below). With the editor you could make the reverb less massive so it's just the swell effect.

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    The 'internal pedal' controller found in Boss MFXs might do it, GT-1 is probably the smallest, cheapest option with it.

I've just done this in the editor, no pedal connected though so no idea if it works. Also don't know what the 'int pd time' is using as a measurement of time.

A bit of GT-1 internal pedal discussion here
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Malekko Sneak Attack I think does that?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    Volume pedal? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7774

IIRC the Line 6 M5 has an auto swell of some description.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    VJIves said:
    Ooh that looks interesting!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    solar said:
    VJIves said:
    Ooh that looks interesting!
    It's been a while since I had one so I can't remember if it works exactly how you want it to, but it's the most expanded version of the Slow Gear idea that I know of.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2018
    I did something similar for an ambient guitar piece I was recording. I had an array of pedals but used a Big Sky and Ditto looper. The Big Sky has a swell plus assignable infinite sustain/freeze mode ..  arm the looper, play a note, hold freeze or infinite sustain (depending on what you want) and when its sustained enough take your foot off the Big Sky, switch off the looper then switch the looper back on to play the swelled in sustained loop and play over the top. There are other pedals with a similar function.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    If you have a digital noise gate (even VST if its just for the sake of recording) you should be able to set the release time to swell, rather than immediately cut the gate. I achieve this live with an old 90's Digitech unit. That's a different way to look at it.
    I can't think of a noise gate pedal that you can programme like this, though that Malekko sounds interesting and a similar concept.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Might be worth checking out the VFE Pedals Bumblebee. There were various versions, all discontinued now but it did one of the nicest volume swells I've come across with lots of tweakable functionality built in. They occasionally surface secondhand.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    For standalone pedals, the EHX Superego might be worth a look. The footswitch can be set as momentary or latching and swell/glissando time is adjustable. 
    Many of the latest multi fx/ modellers should be capable of this as well - I know the HX Effects,  Helix or AX8 allow this sort of set up with momentary switching along with adjustable swell and actuation curves.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    A fixed rate is going to go out of time though, I reckon on a boss GT-10 or above you could get it synced to tap tempo.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2358
    Never seen one or played one... doesn't quite tick all your boxes, but what about a fader pedal by Coopersonic?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I think the Zoom Multistomp pedals have one of the effects which does timed autoswell. They can be had for about £50 used.
    Thanks for all the suggestions! That Coopersonic thing looks almost perfect. I'll investigate everything posted.