Which guitars between £1500 and £4000 fit these descriptions as standard?

What's Hot
Background. My wife has small hand's, strum's her guitar whilst singing and is 5ft 2 1/2 with dimensions all in proportion ;-) She has had an L-00 but would like something that holds up a bit better with strumming and/or just has a little more sustain in quiet moments. She would like the guitar to look pretty as well but we can sort that aftermarket.

We have around £2500 to spend for new or second hand. All I can think of at the moment is a Taylor 712ce ordered with 1 11/16 nut width. Below is what's required. PLEASE LIST ANY SUGGESTIONS. I know most likely a 00 will be winning no strumming awards!! Huss or Collins etc do anything? Any other pointers?

SPECS NEEDED:
  • Smaller than 1 3/4 inch nut. Example 1  11/16  (42.8mm)  or    1  23/32  (43.8mm)
  • Around a 00 body size (000 is bigger than i'm looking for).
  • 14 Fret Neck Join (not a 12 fret)
  • 25 inch or smaller scale length
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    A Collings Baby looks very pretty, has a 1 11/16" nut, is narrower than a 00, has a 14-fret neck and a 24.1" scale. You'll be looking for a used one, but the budget might just do. 
  • Thanks Funkfingers, 

She has had an L-00 but would like something that holds up a bit better with strumming and/or just has a little more sustain in quiet moments

KKJale 

A Collings Baby looks very pretty, has a 1 11/16" nut, is narrower than a 00, has a 14-fret neck and a 24.1" scale. You'll be looking for a used one, but the budget might just do. 

That could do it, but would I be better with a tad bigger than a 00 rather than a tad smaller/narrower. Might I lose sustain and some bottom end rather than gain? The 2016 Gibson L-00 standard size was good size wise, just need sustain rather than lovely dry tone's.

Put simply, would a strummed Collings Baby be more, or at least as full, as a 2016 Gibson L-00 Standard when strummed. Would it sustain better than a Gibson L-00 Standard. Obviously we are generalising a little to narrow things down.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    The Collings 01 is bigger than the Baby and has a 1 11/16” nut as standard.
  • Thanks Lewy

That fits the bill near perfectly. The only thing that would worry me is going from  C shape all her life to a modified V on the Collings 01.  Not a write of but would have to spend a good couple hours playing to make sure it wouldn't be uncomfortable. She's playing at events, sometimes 1 hour straight. I wonder if you can get the 01 with a C shape and if anyone out there is selling one if so :-( 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    Thanks Lewy

That fits the bill near perfectly. The only thing that would worry me is going from  C shape all her life to a modified V on the Collings 01.  Not a write of but would have to spend a good couple hours playing to make sure it wouldn't be uncomfortable. She's playing at events, sometimes 1 hour straight. I wonder if you can get the 01 with a C shape and if anyone out there is selling one if so :-( 
    The Collings modified V is exceptionally comfortable...you don’t really feel the V when you play it, or at least I don’t.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    How about a Lowden S series. Small bodied with 14th fret neck join, 630mm scale and a choice of 43 or 45 mm nut width. Modern neck profile.
    Here's an S50 in action but there are much cheaper options than this :  

• Thanks Lewy

The Collings modified V is exceptionally comfortable...you don’t really feel the V when you play it, or at least I don’t.

I will try get my hands on one to try. Hopefully Collings version of the modified V neck is about as comfortable as a C for folk who prefer C shapes.

• How about a Lowden S series. Small bodied with 14th fret neck join, 630mm scale and a choice of 43 or 45 mm nut width. Modern neck profile.

Thanks BickLicks67

My budget is £2500 ish. The Lowden S comes with a 45mm nut as standard. I would be buying used on my budget  for a Lowden S, so would have to find someone who specified a 43mm nut width from the factory I guess. Which may be hard to find?

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3487
    Background. My wife has small hand's, strum's her guitar whilst singing and is 5ft 2 1/2 with dimensions all in proportion ;-) She has had an L-00 but would like something that holds up a bit better with strumming and/or just has a little more sustain in quiet moments. She would like the guitar to look pretty as well but we can sort that aftermarket.

We have around £2500 to spend for new or second hand. All I can think of at the moment is a Taylor 712ce ordered with 1 11/16 nut width. Below is what's required. PLEASE LIST ANY SUGGESTIONS. I know most likely a 00 will be winning no strumming awards!! Huss or Collins etc do anything? Any other pointers?

SPECS NEEDED:
    • Smaller than 1 3/4 inch nut. Example 1  11/16  (42.8mm)  or    1  23/32  (43.8mm)
    • Around a 00 body size (000 is bigger than i'm looking for).
    • 14 Fret Neck Join (not a 12 fret)
    • 25 inch or smaller scale length
    FWIW, I think you could order a Brook Guitar for that price and specify all your particular needs to your own specifications.

The Torridge Model seems it would be close to what you are after and their prices start from £2450.  Their standard nut width is near enough what you are after of 44mm.  The standard neck depth is on the thinner side of things which IMO could suit a player with smaller hands as well. 

https://www.brookguitars.com/guitars/guitars.html
    https://www.ivormairants.co.uk/brook-torridge-spruce-rosewood.html
  • Lewy said:
    Thanks Lewy

Thanks Lewy 

Will try to get hands on one to try out if the neck's not much more extreme than a C.

Hey BigLicks67

How about a Lowden S series. Small bodied with 14th fret neck join, 630mm scale and a choice of 43 or 45 mm nut width. Modern neck profile.

That would also possibly do it, but again they come with 45mm nut as standard and £2500 ish is my budget. So I would have to find someone with a used Lowden S that had specified a 43mm nut on purchase.
  • Lewy said:
    Thanks Lewy

Thanks Lewy 

Will try to get hands on one to try out if the neck's not much more extreme than a C.

Hey BigLicks67

That would also possibly do it, but again they come with 45mm nut as standard and £2500 ish is my budget. So I would have to find someone with a used Lowden S that had specified a 43mm nut on purchase.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

I was going to suggest a Brook too, but beaten to it! The thing with a custom order is that if the neck shape isn't quite what is being looked for, then they will be able to adjust, within limits, the shape so that it does suit. Brook guitars are superb, and the chaps who make them extremely good to work with - plus you would be supporting a UK business :)

Adam

• Thanks Adam

Brook looks interesting! Hard thing about it though is not being able to play one or listen to as many samples of standardised models (listening to a recording has its limits I know). There also that stupid psychological thing of playing names that everyone is more up to speed/knowledge with - which probably leads top guys like me missing out on awesome guitars!
  • Edit: to.  Not sure I would be so brazen as to affirm myself as a top guy. Ha.

That's understandable, but if you are in the market for upwards of £2500 on a guitar, then a daytrip/long weekend down to Devon to chat to Brook wouldn't be unreasonable :) Or, if you are ever up in Scotland near Stirling you are most welcome to pop in and have a shot on mine. Not in the specs you listed (it's a Tavy, kinda jumbo style), but would give you an idea of the Brook 'feel'.

Cheers,

Adam

• Thanks man! The wife's family hails from Barnstable Devon but most have moved out now.

From listening to a few brook sounds I feel like i'd be getting something that wouldn't give me the differences, more sustain and/or better for strumming, that i'm after over the Gibson L00 mentioned in original post. This new guitar will be strummed 98% of the time and needs to sustain well with sparce playing, rather than the drier punchy L00 sound.

Legend, thanks man.

Fair enough - good luck finding the right guitar :)
  • I would definitely try Brook. They make lovely instruments, but any I have ever played the neck has been too narrow for me. Might be perfect for your wife. Lowden S models are excellent too, personally I think she would adjust very quickly to the 45mm nut.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    +1 brook.... why not pay them a visit